“old glory”

Ranked #10 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
The Netherlands
“old glory”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

During the last 20 years I liked to come in the hotel and had a lunch or some nice tea. During the past they renovate the rooms. I stayed only once there in 1996, so long time ago. But it has or the hotel breaths still old colonial athmosphere.
Drinking tea or eating a small lunch or high tea on the terrace and writing some cards is super relaxing. I have no idea how the food or dinner is now.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I am glad to note that you have been enjoying our services for the past 20 years and that you find it relaxing to have lunch or tea at The imperial. We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you again.

Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
East Haddam, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The mixture between history, luxury and service makes this one of the finest hotels at which we've ever stayed, and the location is better than any of the other hotels classed in this category. You would stay here if you were looking for a refuge from the chaos of Delhi - not if you were trying to gain exposure to everyday culture. It is an oasis. It is also expensive, but worth the price. Some minor nits: at this price I expect free internet- it is not. Also, the shower drained poorly. The big plus, again, is the service - everyone was extremely friendly!

Room Tip: I didn't see a room I wouldn't stay in:)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read the wonderful review of your recent stay at The Imperial, New Delhi. We thank you for your kind endorsement of the hotel’s high quality facilities and services along with its historic significance. I do regret the inconvenience caused due to the shower and would request for another chance in the near future to be able to serve you. We shall be happy to offer you a room rate inclusive of internet on your next visit. Please write to us directly for the same.

We hope your trip to India was all you wished for and we look forward to welcoming you back home.

hong kong
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My best friend and I rendez-vous at the Imperial Hotel for a short weekend trip. She has just finished a week of yoga retreat so it was a welcoming site of modern amenities and I was arriving from HK so it was a nice change of scenery from modern to colonial decor.
The front desk were helpful and gave us a lovely room on the second floor. However, during the time of our stay, there was renovation so the smell of paint and dust was overwhelming (and a cruel reminder of the polluted air in HK). The front desk should have said something about the work as I think it was the only courteous thing to do. Also the wifi is spotty and costly. I really wonder why hotels dont just put wifi charge into the room rate.
The concierge deserves a big cheer for arranging a seamless day trip to visit the Taj by private car. The guide that met with me at the historic site was very knowledgeable and energetic. Even though the traffic was horrendous due to monsoon storm on the return, my hotel car driver was professional and delivered me back to the hotel safely.
The Italian restaurant - San Gimiangno was average and wines were very overpriced. We actually enjoyed the cocktails at 1911 and Patiala Peg most. The bartenders are all so professional and charming. The spa is located just next to the hotel and it has good variety of treatments and capable therapists.
Overall, it was a very nice experience at the Imperial and I would go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Its a pleasure to note that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your positive comments for the concierge and the bar staff are a source of motivation for the team.

I regret to note that your experience at San Gimignano was less than perfect and offer my sincere apologies for the same. I am also deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused due to the construction work. I do hope that you will not let these incidents influence your perception of The Imperial. I am happy that your overall experience was pleasant and we would love to have another chance for providing even a better experience next time.

We value your patronage & look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Drummoyne, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

It's hard to start this review as the hotel is perfection.

Yes it's expensive but it's sheer luxury too. Everything is a superior quality.

The breakfast buffet is top quality and the restaurants to dinner are amazing. Italian, superb. Indian, unbelievable.

The pool is magnificent also.

Hard to beat - the stench of India is removed when you enter this hotel. I hope to stay in a hotel as good as this one again one day.

A truly memorable experience!

Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

I am grateful for your feedback. Its a pleasure to note that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your positive comments are a source of motivation for the team.

We value your patronage & look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel is immaculate and reeks of history even though its not that old. The place feels like a Raj's residence but is in fact purpose made as a hotel. The grounds and amenities are quite lovely but beware the outdoor pool - it is gorgeous and set in a perfect place. However after swimming in it one morning I noticed about a million pigeons having fun in the fountains that poured into the pool. The water was quite clear and clean when I was there so it must be cleaned well and I didnt get sick from bird droppings but I didnt swim in it again for fear. Staff are lovely and friendly. Breakfast is outstanding!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. VP & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Imperial!

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Delhi. I’m glad to note that you appreciated the property and its décor.

I have taken a good note of your feedback regarding the pool and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. I’d like to assure you that we treat and maintain water quality to keep swimming pool clean. Our guest’s comfort is our priority and we do not hesitate to go over & above, just to ensure that.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We have stayed at a few hotels in Delhi, Oberoi, Leela, Taj, etc - but this hotel is by far the best Delhi experience. It is not only a landmark building, and very well situated to see all of Delhi, the staff are incredible, and always go the extra mile. The breakfast is awesome. The spa and pool is great.

I would suggest that they should consider coffee/tea facilities in all the rooms (our Heritage room did not have anything), maybe a Nespresso machine?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hooggenoeg
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your motivating feedback about our property, food & services; and I am glad that you had a great time staying with us.

Though you seem to be happy with your overall experience, I have noticed minor traces of dissatisfaction which I’d like to clarify. The Imperial takes pride in its service standards and I would like to assure that all the rooms have provision of tea coffee maker along with other alcoholic/ non alcoholic beverage and snacks in minibar. I am surprised to note your feedback and deeply regret the inconvenience caused. We believe in offering a wonderful experience to all our guests and do not wish to inconvenience them in any manner.

Looking forward to welcoming back!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This hotel is the best Hotel in New Delhi by far, ( i have stayed at several other 5* ) The hotel experience starts from when they pick you up from the airport, Check in is very quick, in fact i was taken straight upto my room. The rooms are big and beautiful and very clean. All the staff at this hotel make you feel like your the most important guest, they really couldn`t do any more for you. The Hotel itself is very quiet which is nice after after a day out around the City. The Bars are great and the restaurants are some of the best in Delhi. The Spice Route being one of my favourites!
I honestly don`t think this Hotel could improve, my stay was perfect and i will be returning in September. I recommend this Hotel all the time to customers, family and friends. Its a must!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely, but i like a room on the third floor as its very quiet and i like the views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write about your wonderful experience at The Imperial.

I'm glad that we succeeded in creating a memorable stay experience for you and feel extremely elated by your kind acknowledgement of the same. Your positive comments are a great motivation for the team.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back home soon.