“A Raj(like) Experience”

Ranked #10 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Raj(like) Experience”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

If you ever wondered what it might have been like to visit India in the latter days of the British Raj, the Imperial will give you a glimpse of that bygone era. Built by the British in the early 30's the hotel has retained all of the charm and grandeur of that time but is updated with modern A/C, communications, entertainment and other facilities. The Hotel is decorated throughout with pictures and artifacts from that era giving the hotel an even more authentic feel. With a choice of eight distinctly different restaurant styles the visitor is totally spoilt for eating choice. The staff is friendly, accommodating to one's needs but not intrusive. We would have no hesitation to return if ever back in New Delhi.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Milvusma
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. VP & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write about your wonderful experience at The Imperial.

I'm glad that we succeeded in creating a memorable stay experience for you and feel extremely elated by your kind acknowledgement of the same. Your positive comments are a great motivation for the team.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Sr. Exec. VP & General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
PARIS
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Being a Preferred Hotels Group's member, I booked a week at The Imperial through the group's website last year. This reservation process usually gives your a free internet access in this 5* hotel. But that time, when the bill arrived, I had the (bad) surprise to realise that I was charged for all the internet connections. The reason is that you must now tick a special case in the booking process to get the internet free.
It would not be such a big deal to pay these few extra thousand rupees if the process of changing the rules wasn't so mean. And by the way, why does the Imperial actually CHARGES the internet ? Any single guest-house or hotel in India provides it for free. Internet actually COSTS NOTHING ! It is so mean, undignified and narrow-minded for this kind of first-class hotel...
The problem is that it also goes along with their general pricing policy : the rate of every single service or meal has incredibly increased over the last few years. I've been a regular guest for the last 20 years and I've seen the hotel change...definitely not for good.
So, Dear Imperial Manager, may I make a suggestion ? Reduce the number of staff who actually spend the day doing nothing and it could help improve the pricing policy. I love this place but it is time to realize that there are new hotels in India that equals - or exceed - the Imperial's standards. A heritage name in itself is not enough any more. This kind of pettiness and disproportionate pricing policy is stupid and unacceptable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank friendofindia
VWanchoo, Sr. Executive Vice President & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Greetings from The Imperial!
I have noted your feedback regarding your stay and deeply regret the unpleasant experience.
I have noted your disappointment with the prices of the outlets. I’d like to assure you that our prices are at par with all similar level hotels and we strongly believe in providing complete value to all our customers for what they pay. I assure you that our guest’s comfort is our priority and we do not hesitate to go over & above, just to ensure that our guests have a smooth stay.

I’d also like to mention that we do have room packages that include internet as a part of the rate. Please feel free to contact me directly for the same at vwanchoo@theimperialindia.com and I shall be happy to assist you.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

I hope you accord us another opportunity to serve you.

Sr. Executive Vice President & General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at The Imperial for 4 nights and this is one of my favourite hotels in Delhi given it's very old world, colonial charm. I wish when we were making the reservation we were told that there was refurbishing/construction work going on. On a Sunday morning at 0845 we were rudely awakened to a power drill going off. After complaining it stopped for a while and then again at 6pm it restarted. On the Monday I was on a conference call at 1030am when the drill went off again. I couldn't hear a thing but again on complaining it was resolved 15 minutes later. I wish I was told of this work as I could have chosen another property as this was a special trip for my wife and I. The restaurants are great and the service at the restaurants is impeccable. Electronics in the room are looking old and tired -- the phones had a lot of static, the TV is an old tube B&O......carpets in the corridor are decidedly weather beaten

Room Tip: Worth the extra money to get a Art Deco Suite.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. VP & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Its a pleasure to note your appreciation for the impeccable facilities & service at The Imperial. I apologize for the inconvenience caused due to refurbishment work that was going on at that time. We avoid giving rooms close to work happening so that our guests are inconvenienced due to the same. However, I regret to note that you faced challenges during your stay and once again offer my deepest apologies and request another opportunity to make it up. Your additional feedback has been noted for further enhancement.

jönköping
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I had the opportunity to visit this fantastic hotel. On the last day we we´re asked how our stay had been. We told the representative of the hotel management that we loved the hotel but we thought that the pool was to simple and to run down for a five star hotel. We´re told that a whole new pool and spaarea was about to be finished, but the hotel needed to have an approval from the authorities to open up and start using it. Quite a few years I looked now and then at the hotels homepage and all of a sudden there it was the new poolarea. Ever since then we have joked me and my mother about going there again and check the new pool. Last week we finally made it. The pool was fantastic and the hotel was as stunning as it was the last time. The Imperial is not only a hotel. it´s a home and a museum.
We´ll gladly come back for our third stay soon if we can,

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kastrullhaxan
Dear Guest,

Its a pleasure to note your appreciation for the impeccable facilities & service at The Imperial and thank you for sharing your nostalgic memories of your last visit. It was a pleasure to welcome you back! I am delighted to note that you had a wonderful experience and that we succeeded in exceeding your expectations.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Many years of dreaming about a trip to India and finally I arrived, first stop Imperial Hotel, New Delhi. From the moment we walked into the lobby with the stunning floral arrangements, smiling doormen and magnificent artworks I was in heaven. The original building is a fabulous Art Deco example, recent extensive renovations have only enhanced the regal charm. We dined in the restaurants, swam in the pool, enjoyed morning yoga, shopped in the Chanel boutique, wandered down the road to buy lovely silk scarves, took the hotel driver on a brilliant day tour of Delhi and cried when we left. I will return. Make sure you go and enjoy this property during your New Delhi stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the ground floor in the older wing, fabulous large room for the two of us.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Its a pleasure to note your appreciation for the impeccable facilities & service at The Imperial. I am delighted to note that you had a wonderful experience and that we succeeded in exceeding your expectations.

Middletown, Maryland
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Imperial Hotel in New Delhi is by far among the best hotels we have stayed at in the world. My husband and I recently celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. The hotel is gorgeous. Old world elegance, thousands of pieces of artwork throughout, gorgeous grounds, world-class restaurants (Spice Route, San Gimignano Italian restaurant - delicious risotto, the 1911 bar (location of famous meeting of Mahatma Gandhi, Lord Mountbatten, and others), restaurant and veranda where we had our morning breakfasts and lunch), and luxurious spa. And I have not even yet mentioned how wonderful our room was. And, the service is superb in every way. And, our special thanks to Arpit who hosted us at The Spice Route restaurant, one of the most truly beautiful restaurants in the world. India is very far away and while we do not know when we will return, when we do, we look forward to visiting The Imperial once again! Thank you to everyone for making it so memorable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Its a pleasure to note your appreciation for the impeccable facilities & service at The Imperial. I am glad to note that you had a wonderful experience and that we are your preferred choice in New Delhi.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Myself with my wife were in transit to Ladakh , hence stayed one night at the hotel.
The location is excellant right in the centre of New Delhi. It is only 5 min walk from Connaught place .
It is a Heritage Hotel built in 1930's but the maintenance is so good that it looks as if is constructed recently.
The courtesy starts from the main Gate itself as every staff is trained to greet the guest with Namaste. My check in was very quick as my room was booked earlier. The lady at the reception personally took me to the room which is rare in other Hotels anywhere in the world.
The Hotels resembles a Palace and has big paintings of Kings and British Raj.
The decor is colonial look and it suit the Hotel very well.
It is the most luxurious Hotel in Delhi and I wold live to be there as and when I am in Delhi.
The Tariff is reasonable and the same kind of Hotel in Europe or US in a city would cost not less than 500 $ as per my experience .

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Its a pleasure to note your appreciation for the impeccable facilities at The Imperial. I am glad to note that you had a wonderful experience and that we are your preferred choice in New Delhi.