“Amazing hotel!”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #13 of 712 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 27 September 2010

This is definitely one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in - it is in a beautiful colonial-style building in the center of New Delhi. The staff are very attentive, friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was spacious and well equipped, the whole hotel was clean and smelled of jasmine. One of the highlights is definitely the beautiful outdoor pool and the amazing breakfast buffet. I would definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Imperial Hotel

Reviewed 18 September 2010

We stayed at the Imperial in an Imperial level room. The room was large, with more of a suite feeling complete with large dressing area and bathroom. Our room was on the 3rd floor in the interior which I liked for the added feeling of security.
We were a bit paranoid in our taking a short trip to India and I overdosed on internet horror stories of potential sickness etc risk in India. Outside the doors property of the Imperial, I agree the risk seemed very real but inside the Hotel felt like an oasis welcoming us back to a most civilized first world after our adventures beyond the walls. The 1919 restaurant for breakfast was world class.... best chocolate croissants ...anywhere including Paris! and the lightest best omelets my wife and I have ever had... and we have been everywhere!
The Imperial is a flawless 5 star experience... we never had to make any excuses for errors... We had a short stay and staying at the Imperial made us feel like we were enjoying India every minute. Other luxury properties we past in our travels just looked like the typical concrete featureless business properties you can see anywhere.
The imperial arranged everything and were we happy. They picked us up from the beautiful new airport and brought us to the hotel. The next day the same driver brought us in a hotel SUV to Agra, once there, we picked up a fantastic guide who brought us through the Taj Mahal and took photos and carefully explained the history and smallest details of the complex clearly giving us a tour that included much more than "bus" (UGH!) groups. Note on tours... in my opinion private is the way to go... this NOT Europe, the buses group tours used really looked rather terrible. Driving is also only for the stupid... get a local as it is very challenging and why hassle with that.... The Hotel arranged for a great tour of Delhi attractions on Sunday and finally after enjoying a beautiful pool and spa brought us to the airport Monday night. NOTE plan only to arrive at the airport within 3 hours of your flight as you cannot access the airport until then and must wait outside ... something we avoided but spoke with numerous travelers who had to wait for hours outside. I can make your process simple.... stay at the Imperial rely on them to help you...confirm everything in email prior to arrival and enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
VPImperial, Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2010

At the outset, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at The Imperial on your recent visit to New Delhi.
A word of gratitude also for the time you have taken out from your busy schedule to record your feedback about the hotel on Trip Advisor. Your positive ratings are a source of motivation for the team.
Thank you once again. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Imperial.

Vijay Wanchoo
Sr. Vice President and G.M.

Reviewed 17 September 2010

For my first visit to India and Delhi, I chose the Imperial on the basis of recommendations from friends who love the hotel. It did not disappoint. It's a lovely building, nicely and warmly run. I do think it's worthwhile to spend a little extra and get one of the slightly larger rooms, as these are really elegant and comfortable. Delhi is hot and can feel chaotic, and the hotel is busy - conferences, tourists, business travelers - so while the public spaces are beautiful and really pleasant, you can't necessarily count on them being peaceful or quiet. Booking one of the larger rooms ensures you have a little oasis to return to at the end of the day, which is very nice. Room service food, and the basic salon services were all well done, and the hotel has a fantastic little book shop with beautiful coffee table books. As I was there during the rainy season I didn't get to try the pool, but other leisure services - assistance with taxis, recommendations, tour arrangements etc through the concierge desk - were all very good. I felt comfortable and at home, while also knowing this was a special treat.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We felt really wellcome on the first part of our Asian trip by staying there: the staff is helpful and polite and moving around, going to musems, monuments and especially shopping is very easy because of the central location.
It is built in colonial style and immersed in a big garden, so you are in the heart of delhi, yet sorrounded by greenery and beauty.
We tried the restaurant Spice Route for a taste of Indian cuisine, spicy but not too hot that it burned our western palate. There are a lot of western restaurant nearby too. One suggestion: avoid the taxis right in front of the hotel: they overcharge you the most, so walk a few steps away and you can have a tour at reasonable price.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I stayed at the Imperial largely because it is well known and it offered a tour of its famous art collection. I was slightly disappointed and enjoyed my stay at the Oberoi Udaivilas in Udaipour much more.

I stayed at the hotel for a week while working for a charity in Delhi. The room I was put in (in the Heritage category) was dark, gloomy and rather depressing. I asked to change and was put in a much nicer room of the same category on a different floor. The room was very comfortable.

The high point of the hotel was the very sweet masseur in the rather basic hairdressing salon who gave me a massage on three of the nights I was there. The "spa/salon" facilities were certainly no where near five star standard but the masseur was very sweet and made a particular effort.

The food was good, particularly the breakfast, although very overpriced for what it was.

My main gripe here is the pricing and the quality of the service. This hotel cost well above comparable five star prices in Europe and the US and yet the service was well below what I have come across everywhere else. On a number of occasions I rang reception with a request and they either never responded or failed to ring back when they said they would. After a couple of days of this it became frustrating. I had booked an art tour through the hotel before arriving in Delhi and yet when I arrived they had no reference of this and didn't even acknowledge that the service existed. When I made a fuss they eventually freed up a member of the reception staff who gave me a quick and fairly uninformed tour of the hotel's art collection. The art and photo collection is fascinating but I would have been better to wander round it on my own, had I realised there was nothing that the receptionist could have told or showed me that I didn't know or could have found myself.

After a week of travelling in Rajasthan I then returned to the hotel for one night and again stayed in a Heritage room. This was smaller than the one I'd had in my previous stay and unfortunately overlooked the hotel gardens. All evening and night there was a conference going on outside with loud music. My husband was unwell and I asked the hotel if it would be possible to move to a quiet room but was told this wouldn't be possible. We spent the night with light flashing through the window of our room from the event outside and loud music blaring. All in all, this was not a five star experience and I won't be recommending the Imperial to my friends and colleagues visiting India.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Sienabene

A word of gratitude for the time you have taken out from your busy schedule to record your feedback about The Imperial New Delhi, on Trip Advisor. We have noted that your experience last November at our hotel particularly the Art Tour was not upto your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. We believe in offering a wonderful experience to all our guests and do not wish to inconvenience them in any manner. Hence, feedback, such as yours, will effectively be used to improve our standards of service and enhance the Imperial experience.
We hope that you will not let this incident influence your perception of the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Imperial.

Vijay Wanchoo
Sr. Vice President and G.M.

Reviewed 7 September 2010

We were a family of four visiting friends and family in India. We travel to India every two years and always spend a few days in one or more high class hotels. This had allowed our young children to experience oppulence that India has to offer. Now our children are in their teens and Indian economy is growing but we continue this tradition... This time we booked a suite at the Imperial and what a great decision it was.

The Imperial is one of the best properties in Delhi. Immacualte suite and facilities. Location is superb... right on janpath, just walk to do bargain-shopping nearby and go to cottage emporium for a hassle-free high-end gift shopping.

The staff at the Imperial was outstanding - there was no display of greed or attitude... just hospitality and genuine display to keep us comfortable.

The Imperial offered us a tremendous value for our money... it was not cheap but it was worth it and a much better value than Oberoi and Hyatt/...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Spent the final three nights of our trip here as a special birthday treat. We were upgraded on arrival to a beautiful spacious room with a vast bathroom. Touched by the delivery of a personalised birthday cake.
We found the service impeccable. Room service was the fastest we've ever experienced and the staff seemed to anticipate your every need.The hotel is very grand, with perfumed, silent corridors and lovely places to sit & people watch.Excellent food.
An oasis in the bustle of the city!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple