“The Energy of this Hotel is Heady”

ITC Maurya, New Delhi
Ranked #13 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Chennai (Madras), India
“The Energy of this Hotel is Heady”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I love this hotel for the sheer energy. It peps you up and puts a spring in your steps. Almost like being in the buzz of Manhattan. The services are good and prompt but not extraordinary. The staff are pleasant and quite efficient.
I had an issue with the Room Service Tea. It was overbrewed and always so. The food quality is generally good and their room amenities excellent.
Had an issue with bell desk which took over15mts to collect the bags for checkout. Still one of my favorite hotels in Delhi.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank fivestarholidays

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
London, England
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I last stayed at this hotel in the mid 90's and was excited to stay again.
It was the end of a business trip in Gurgaon and decided to have a few days holiday in Delhi at the end of the trip. I used Starwood points for the stay and was relatively excited by the fact that it was an Executive room ' with lounge facilities '.

Lounge facilities at the Maurya actually entitle you to a room on the Executive Floor - Not sure what the difference is in terms of Executive Room to a standard room. The lounge on the 14th floor was permanently closed. I was told to use the facilities on the 16th floor.
This was essentially a ' library ' with sofa's. On the 3 occasions I visited, deserted and no staff in attendance. You were required to pick up the house phone and the Executive Room in fact entitled you to tea and coffee. That is it !
A great disappointment since an Executive Lounge in hotels I have stayed at, the very least have internet facilities, some form of snacks and a cocktail ' hour '.

I contacted Guest Services because I essentially wanted to understand what facilities an Executive room entitled me to. After several attempts to connect me with a Duty Manager and a promise of him calling me in my room failed, I eventually made another attempt and was informed that the ITC Club offer the facilities I would normally associate to an Executive room - of which, by simply booking an Executive room does not entitle you to use. However, we are entitled to a ' 50 % discount ' on selected beverages at the Dublin Bar.

When we went to the Dublin bar, shortly after 8pm, I was informed happy hour ended at 8pm. So in fact, there is no 50% discount, there is a happy hour - of which the Duty Manager lead me to believe otherwise.

I make this point in case other Guests select an Executive room with the perception they will be entitled to lounge facilities enjoyed at other properties, where in fact, it does not at the Maurya.

Check in was swift. In fact too swift. A young chap, possibly new, but in my opinion, should ask if a Guest has stayed at the property before, thus allowing the opportunity to explain, even briefly, various areas of the hotel.

I was given an internet voucher for wi-fi, I assumed this entitled me to complimentary wi-fi. It did not. The voucher was an access code .... but this is India and India loves paper and an infatuation for stamping pieces of paper.

The room was smaller than other 5 star hotels I have stayed at in India, but it is an older property and in keeping with older properties, room sizes are smaller.
The room was tastefully furnished. The bed very comforatble as were the pillows.
Very clean and amenities such as tea, coffee, water, bathrobes, slippers - all provided. In fact, the amenities were very good quality.

The bathroom is small, but everything functions and water pressure is good. Shower in the tub, but again, all working just fine.

The servicing of the room was perfect and a couple of things I asked for was dealt with swiftly.

Buffet breakfast - not included in my rate, was a grand affair. Everything you could possibly ask for. In fact, I would rate their breakfast service very highly. Unlike other hotels, the egg station was manned by a waiter in addition to a cook, so instead of confusing the chef with multiple orders, the waier took the order and within minutes each day, eggs arrived as ordered within minutes.
A waiter also walks the floor with a trolley of juice, which I found to be a nice touch.

The buffet dinner in the same restaurant was extremely over priced - in fact all food and beverages are over priced at the Maurya and taxes in India are a killer.
Looking at the dinner buffet did not lift me enough to part with INR 2,500 plus taxes and since this is semi central Delhi, there are better dining options available elsewhere.

Bukhara. What an absolute disappointment. I recall eating at this restaurant when I visited in the 90's and it was fairly priced, excellent food and had Ghazal singers.
Now, the hyype surrounding Clinton and Obama's visit and their attendance at Bukhara has possibly added to it's 'cult' status.
Sorry, I live in London where hotels in India are trying to recruit Indian chefs from the UK, our Indian restaurants are top notch. I can go to a vast number of Lahori Kebab restaurants and for a 1/5 of the price, eat the same food. Yes, the lamb and chicken kebabs were good quality and moist, but hey - it's still a meat kebab. Lamb Kebab, Chicken Kebab, 1 naan, 1 lacha paratha, 1 bottle of water and 1 coke - INR 4820.
A 5 star hotel, yes. 5 star prices, yes. But I simply did not feel the food warranted the price.

On reflection, I enjoyed my stay. I somehow felt that my previous stay was much more enjoyable, albeit 15+ years ago. 5 star hotels in India overall, have become much more expensive over the years.
I would recommend the hotel to others, it is a quality hotel - a tad dated in terms of room and pool area, but all you need is available, unless you prefer very large rooms.

I would probably opt to stay at Claridge or Ashok next time, but that would be a personal choice based on leisure.

Room Tip: Avoid paying for an Executive room unless you are looking for unlimited tea and coffee - that's...
1 Thank ItalGrecoLon
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Had an amazing experience and got shocked with the amount of attention to details I found in the room (Amenities) and all over the hotel, great place to be and the location is quite in a central area and nearby airport.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Copenhagen
Reviewed 23 October 2011

had stayed in many of Delhi's 5* hotels, but this one wins. Stayed in a muryan chamber, the biggest 5 star room ever ( in the standard category), almost as big as 2. ex-king size bed, big area for sofas ect, where we had the splended ex rollaway bed, entre, walk-through closet, big bathroom with tub and seperate shower. The housekeeping serrvice was kind and quick, the check in - and out , quick and kind.
The spa delicate with very good treatments.
The only minus was a not so interesting pool.
but overall a very nice experience, and we will be back

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We stayed in this hotel the very last day of our trip to India, and it was wonderful! We had previously stayed one night in The Visaya in Delhi, and then switched hotels because we needed easy access to safe restaurants before our trip home.

We got a complimentary upgrade to The Towers, which was great. It was on par with our stay in the Trident Mumbai, which was the very first hotel we stayed in in India. It's a pleasure to stay somewhere clean, where the bed and sheets are good quality and the bathroom is spotless. The service was good too, although it took quite a while to check in and check out.

Also, we had dinner at Bukhara, which was quite good. It wasn't the best meal we had in India, but it was very good quality and the dishes were interesting. Our breakfast at the hotel's regular continental cafe was also very good (and huge!), and the dinner we had right before our flight back to the US was tasty and trouble-free. We primarily ate Indian or Tibetan food on our trip, but for our last dinner we went for plain pizza and pasta to be safe, and the Maurya's version was decent (if a bit heavy on the garlic).

I also used the gym, which was nice though a bit funny-smelling (no gym isn't but the ones in India definitely have a mustiness about them that I haven't experienced in the US).

Overall a very nice visit, would highly recommend to other travelers.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Great place to unpack on your travel. Wonderful rooms, my favourite is the ITC One, excellent privacy, great butler service. Try the Spa and ofcourse like in all ITC hotels food is superlative. A visit to all the restaurants is a must - must.
Absolute pleasure this property is.

Room Tip: ITC One and Internet Rates, especially if you ccan plan your trips 2 weeks in advance.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Manoj A M
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 16 October 2011

A very nice hotel in New Delhi with a great pool and a beautiful lounge at the lobby .
A very spacious room with all the comforts, they even have an armchair which was massaging you. An excellent restaurant (Buchara) with great Indian decoration and very tasty dishes.