“Absolutely fabulous hotel (at least for my short stay)”
Review of Taj Palace Hotel

Taj Palace Hotel
Ranked #5 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Boston area, MA
“Absolutely fabulous hotel (at least for my short stay)”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I was working in India and had a weekend to kill. As this was my first trip to India, I decided to see the Taj Majal. My assistant booked a flight to New Delhi and a Taj Club level room as she knows I'm partial to executive lounges and a driver from the hotel to pick me up at the airport. Driver calls when we are close and at least 6 people greeted me by name on the way in (the three Indian hotels I stayed in all had greeter people (usually attractive women in saris) inside for this purpose. Here then, some came and introduced himself and said, "I'm Ankit, I'll be your butler." He took me to my room. He asked if I needed any help and I said that I wanted to visit the Taj Mahal. He called down and arranged a driver for the next morning to take me there and their travel group arranged to pick up a guide in Agra. I had a good breakfast in the Taj Excutive Lounge (with a nice view IIRC) and when I went down to get the car, they handed me a box breakfast/lunch. All in all, gracious helpful service. Plus, lovely room. Not that large, but just fine. Beautiful glass/marble bathroom. Complimentary bottle of wine. Great experience. I wish my wife had been able to join me. It doesn't get much better than this and if I remember correctl the price of the hotel room was $283, which was seems like a good price giventhe quality level.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Le Plessis-Robinson, France
Reviewed 9 March 2011

When you book a room the first good impression you get is when you are handed keys to a comfortable room where you can sleep well..
By order of preference I prefer a very good large bed, calm and spacious, room.

We reserved a Taj club room through their internet site ("spread over 305 sq ft, spacious. Luxriously...."), specifying that it should be a three person occupancy (two adults and our daughter of 11 years). For the record, "Luxriously" spelling mistake courtesy of Taj site.

The reality was this :
The duty manager opened us to one of the smallest rooms I have seen in a five star hotel. When I asked her where was the roll away bed for our daughter (11 years old), she unflinchingly told us that the three of us could sleep in the same bed !! That goes for some professional working in a five star hotel !

Of course, when we raised our voice, they offered us to upgrade to a suite. Some people go gaga when they are upgraded, but frankly we were unimpressed. We prefer to get what we pay for. Of course, the room shifting took eternity while we were waiting, tired with all our things...unpacked. Apologies were given but a bitter after taste is still lingering because this is not the screw up you expect from an hotel that bill minimum 400 dollars per day.

The suite is nothing to write to home for. It's a bedroom and a living room where they put a rollaway bed for a third occupant. As someone correcty pointed out in these reviews, it is a hospital bed that Taj seems to have salvaged, somewhere.

Outside, the carpet smells of urine and the whole place seem to be worn out with renovated parts seem to be ersatz Philippe Starck.
The hotel is situated in a calm diplomatic conclave. On the other hand, do not think of walking out to have dinner or lunch outside. There is nothing within walking distance. By the way, McDonald's do not serve beef (in respect of Hinduism) so do not dream of Bic Macs.

The service ? They seem to make you special with a lot of "salaam alek" but everything seems tacky.

Do not dream of coming to the hotel in an autorickshaw. They stop the rickshaw at the gates and make you walk. On the other hand, they salute you only if you come by car or a taxi.

Arriving by a car can be a pain too because for security reasons they check every car (which I do not criticize in the light of what happened in Taj, Mumbai), and some evenings, there might be long car queue waiting to pass the gates. Again, if you are impatient and pay the taxi, to walk the short distance to the hotel, then they look at you with curious eyes as if you are from another planet.

In the restaurants, foreigners are given "I-will-kiss-your-boots" attitude while Indians are simply ignored. I do not know how the management trains these guys. Maybe they forget the point that the local Indians (at least those who frequent five star hotels) have a higher net worth than the penny pinching foreigners coming from debt-ridden countries. Mr Tata seems to have forgotten why Gandhi kicked the foregners out. The ambience was pure pre-independant colonial slavery.

The final straw is before checking out, we were furious to see that the room payment had been debited from my credit card....upfront !

Nowhere, in their site it was mentioned that the payement will be debited before the end of the stay. Doubly irritated we were, because we had converted euros to rupees to pay the note in cash.

To sum it up as my wife said : It is a lot of "esbroufe". Some people get impressed. We were not.

Taj should suppress the world Palace and call it Vivanta (for its low grade Taj hotels).

Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank CHAD2024
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Great service and good value. Loved the spa and food.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 February 2011

A very nice hotel, but we paid about $300 a night to stay here. It's catered much to the business traveler or convention attendees. Most of the staff spoke good English and the service varied. We had slight communication problems with the travel desk, but the staff is there to resolve any concerns. The hotel room doors are a bit thin. We were able to hear the staff in the early mornings and evenings.

Avoid the hotel cars with drivers, they are expensive. They are likely double the normal going rate of a driver. The black and yellow cab drivers are very good and can likely take you to places you'd like to see. The Cafe serves a breakfast and lunch buffet, so this can be a pro or a con. If you want to have a simple meal without the buffet, the service may be lacking since they expect patrons to have the buffet.

Overall, by US standards, this hotel is expensive but very well worth it if you like to travel with most of the western comforts. Be wary of the standards of hotels in Delhi. Moderately priced accomodations (~$US120) can be a bit sketchy if you are use to western hotels like a Ramada Inn. They do offer a nice 24 hour business center. If I am sent out to Delhi for business, I would return here.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Its always a preferred location, when in Delhi with cozy & comfortble stay as well as warm people around, even during business trip.
Well connected with the city, but still maintaining the relaxed day/night.

Taj ! Thank you very much for making our travel so pleasant, everytime!!!
Truly Best in Class

Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Coimbatore, India
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Stayed there 1 night, had few business meetings and one conference. Great food and service, great interiors and decor. Location was central and most foreigners experienced the same high end level of luxury experience of Taj hotels. Great lobby and entrance.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I would say that this was the best hotel that I have ever stayed in. It was Indian hospitality at best. We booked a luxury double room but were upgraded free to a luxury suite! The attention to detail was amazing. They had placed wine bottle, dry fruits, chocolate cake, choclates and what not, spread all across the suite. I have had these things at other hotels as well but nothing compares to Taj. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is simple the best!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple