“Quiet comfort and outstanding service.”
Review of Taj Mahal Hotel

Taj Mahal Hotel
Ranked #11 of 779 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 24 September 2009

I stayed in this hotel several times for varying numbers of nights, using it as a base for short trips from Delhi. The service was friendly without being over familiar - there was a feel of a 'family' hotel. In spite of the size and busy-ness of the hotel, staff quickly learnt my name and routinely addressed me by name from the doormen up. Similarly, staff in the various restaurants and cafes quickly learnt my likes and dislikes.
My room was comfortable, always spotless and the views over New Delhi are fantastic. The calm, friendly but always professional atmosphere provided a welcome escape from the pressures of Delhi in monsoon season.
The main India restaurant, Varq, is worth a visit in its own right. A 'fine dining' restaurant, presenting traditional Indian food with a modern twist, staff are happy to advise on which selections will work well together and will discuss which dishes are hot, mild etc frankly and honestly.
Potentially stressful situations were quickly resolved: laptop failing to interface with wifi - a technician came to my room to sort ot the problem within minutes, car booking overlooked (I had alot of cars, I'm not surprised that one slipped through the net), no problem, cars are available 24 hours a day, I still arrived at the airport in plenty of time for my flight with the minimum of fuss. As the person who is usually dealing with someone else's crisis, it was genuinely refreshing to stay here.
I'm trying to work out how soon I can get back...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,212)

Reviewed 24 September 2009

This was one of the best hotels that we have ever stayed in. From the moment we arrived, the staff made us feel welcome and important, even though we were not staying in an expensive suite. We were given a great room with a pool view, which I would recommend requesting. The room was a good size and came with a small couch and coffee table for relaxing. The bathroom was very large, with both a stand-up shower cubicle and a separate bath with shower. There were plenty of towels and great toiletries.

The bed was comfortable and there was a great selection of English-language channels on the television, as well as a DVD player and complimentary DVD rental service.

We used the pool on both of the days we were staying there, and received complimentary chilled mineral water while we were sunbathing. It was also possible to order drinks as there was a waiter service, and we were also given complimentary fruit kebabs.

One of the best things about this hotel is the bars and restaurants. On our first night we went first of all to Ricks bar, where we had martinis. The staff were most helpful and booked a table in the Chinese restaurant for us, and also gave us complimentary cocktails to try! The food in House of Ming is the best Chinese food we have ever tasted…it was simply incredible, and there we ordered food and were also given some complimentary dishes to try which were beautiful.

On our final evening we ordered room service, which did not disappoint. My husband ordered a curry and it was lovely and came with complimentary poppadoms, and then when we had finished they returned with complimentary Indian desserts.

We really enjoyed Delhi, but would return just to stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maidenvoyager
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Definitely my first choice when in New Delhi, a bit pricey, perfect service, comfortable clean rooms, very good varity of food for breakfast, spacious gym, affordable internet access, and good location. Beware of the touts with the 3-wheelers outside of the hotel who always (!) will tell you that Khan market is closed, on the other hand even though I never took their service I have a lot of fun with them.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Very flexible management. We had 9 in our group. We called Friday at 3pm looking for a place to stay that night. During this season they had a discount on the rooms. Warning: Luxury tax in India dictates that the tax be applied to published room rate, not the rate you actually pay. Anyway, the manager gave our whole group a very late check out the following day so we could all have fresh showers before being on a plane for 16 hours.

Room service was good. Great selection and variety of food available. Decent prices considering a 5-star hotel. Didn't particularly like my meal. But plenty of food. Dining in the restaurants was very good. Food quality was good. Again, prices what you would expect for a 5-star hotel.

Rooms were well equipped. Bathrooms were very nice. Beds super comfortable. Not Indian style mattresses.

We ordered a short tour of Delhi. The car was excellent and the driver was professional. The tour operator was good and I'd use him again. Another misunderstanding in the car charge. I had to pay an extra 500 Rs for going over the mileage limit - even though that was never explained to me and the tour was only 3 hours instead of 4.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 5 August 2009

it was an average experience...but have traffic in the locality ...

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Location:
Taj Mahal Hotel is situated at one of the best localities in New Delhi. It is very close to the Diplomatic centre of Delhi. Khan Market is the best Place to shop Near by. Also there are 3 to 4, five star hotels giving you a plenty of options to dine and wine. Close to the city center conought place. Location: 5 star

Hotel:
Hotel is supposed to be one of the best, it has 4-5 Restaurants, you have a real multi cuisine option. Varq, (The Restaurant) the specialty of Chef Hemant Oberoi is a signature restaurant here. Also the hotel has everything that a 5 star hotel should have gym, pool, Jiva Spa.....so on. The lobby is simply amazing. The hotel has its own armada of luxury cars. The infrastrucutre of this hotel though a little old is upto the mark. You would not need to go our anywhere to find anything, you'll get everything at the hotel.

Room:
The standard room that i stayed in is actually pretty descent and spacious. 350 sqft to be precise. The rooms are subtle and elegant with a lot of functionality. You can even custom design you bed with the choice of Cushions, linens etc provided by the hotel. The bath is fairly OK. All standard rooms are equipped with fax machines, a great utility for a business traveler. All in all great satisfying experience.

Service:
This is what i would like to talk about, they make you feel as a Head of the state, Check in procedure is really fast, in fact you are first taken directly to your room and then all the other procedures are completed. Excellent staff, really helpful and smiling makes you feel warm and comfortable. In room dining is a treat, they set your table in an utmost delightful manner. There was a small problem i faced during my stay was when the evening turn down service was not done. On complaining the same was done in minutes, the hotel even took the pains in finding out why such an error had happened 5 days later the front office manager called me at my residence apologizing for the same and promising of it not happening again. This shows the sheer dedication and commitment of the staff members. Excellent business services are available at the hotel. The concierge too is efficient and quick.

All in all I would give the hotel a big ***** for excellent service quality. This is truly the Best Taj property. Taj lives upto its reputation, TAJ MAHAL is a truly luxurious experience.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I travel to Delhi for business quite often. The place where I always stay is Taj Mahal Delhi. The rooms are beautiful & luxurious. Why i feel this hotel is great because of the service level. The guy near the lift remembers you name & floor. Greets you every time with a big smile. Their bar is really good. The club floor is really exciting.
The only drawback of this hotel is the food. The swimming pool area is really nice & peaceful.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)