Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Everyone's out to fleece you !!”
Review of The Oberoi

The Oberoi
Ranked #3 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Right from the bell boy... to the reception... to the waiter in the restaurant... to the attendant in the room. Everyone is looking to sell you the most expensive item on thier list, regardless of whether you want it or not. I had an upset stomach and wanted just soup and bread, which the waiter bought me promptly. When I looked at the bill... the buffet lunch which my guests has was at Rs. 1500/- and my soup was at Rs.850/- . Can you imagine my frustration. There were many such instances, but now I remember just one.
Its a fantastic location in Delhi but I would like to avoid this hotel, when ever possible !!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank visualiser
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We have taken careful note of your comment.

Please be assured your experience was certainly not reflective of our usual standard of service and I do apologise for the inconvenience. It was most kind of you to have brought the matter to our attention through the Trip advisor forum since it is only through valuable feedback like this that we can continue monitoring and improving our service standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi New Delhi once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

the hotel was amazing...really luxurious...The staff was extremely friendly....i simple decorations and facilities

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2011

Reviewed 11 July 2011

I had opportunity to stay at Oberoi New Delhi last week.

Its a fairly old five star property located at envious location. You get room on either side and all you see is green expanse for miles, that too in the heart of New Delhi.

I said fairly old because when you enter the room the decor tells you that it is 70's style. I trust this hotel was built in early 1970s. It is fairly well maintained but if you keenly observe you can see some signs of ageing. Still not as bad as some younger five star properties. The advantage was you have normal electrical buttons that do not need much exploration and training as compared to smart switches that are used in new hotels. Sad part - Bathrooms do not have single lever faucets that are very convenient for use. The bed linen was on little crispier side. Addition of little more softener in laundry would have made it more comfortable.

In the minibar, I would have appreciated complementary - few cookies or tiny pack of savories to go with morning tea. (there were big packs of Mcvities and snacks but at cost)

Of all the five star hotel chains that I have stayed in (Taj is only chain I have not stayed in) this was the smoothest and most hassle-free check-in and check out that I experienced. Good to see that Indians and foreigners received similar treatment.

Staff at hotel is very courteous and helpful. In fact I could see it is bit overstaffed and you bump into some staff or other at every nook and corner and ultimately get feeling that you are constantly under watch.

Food at this place was nothing to write home about. I reached there almost at midnight and had no option but to avail in room dining facility. The food was very average in taste and quality. The breakfast choice next morning, however, was good and the food was also much better in taste as well as presentation.

Good system is staff does not wait for or accept tip every now and then. You are supposed to place all gratuity amount (optional) in an envelope and give it on the check out counter.

Overall the experience was very good.

Room Tip: 4th and 5th floor are best.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for your encouraging and kind words of praise for our hotel and services. I have taken careful note of your comments regarding rooms, bathrooms, mini bar and the in room dining food and would like to assure you that the same will be shared with the relevant department heads. It is feedback as yours which help us improve and exceed our guest's expectations

Reviewed 30 June 2011

Oberoi Delhi is a marvellous hotel. I stayed there in the month of June and overall was a pretty good experience. Right from the time I met the hotel chauffeur met me at the airport, I felt there was a clear effort to make my experience memorable. The driver who picked me up from the airport was a gentleman by the name Shivpal. I was impressed with his endeavour to take care of my little needs all along the way. This included the temperature in the car, the music I wanted to hear, the temperature of the water etc. I also found that there was another lady by the name Rina from the hotel who was also there at the airport.

When I reached the hotel, a gentleman by the Dhruv accosted me at the portico. He straight took me to Room No: 815. The entire check-in process was superb. He was going all out to make me comfortable. While I was signing the check-in form in my room, a butler by the name Rajan came in with a welcome drink. Once Dhruv left, the butler (Rajan) explained me what he could do for me during my stay in the hotel.

Living up to the Oberoi brand, the premier room that I staying was pretty good and had among other things complementary drinks (Johny Walker Whisky), assorted fruits, chocolates etc..

During the stay I also used the 360 degree coffee shop. The service too there was superb. All my little requirements were being taken care off. A gentleman by the name Nikhil was the person taking care of me. He even made sure that my requirement of a non-garlic/non-onion laden food was taken care off.

Among the housekeeping staff I found a lady by the Seema very active and making sure all that I required was delivered.

However, there was a service failure in that Ravish [--] from front-office forgot to deliver a new door key-card despite speaking to him 3 times at night before sleeping. However, when I complained about this the next morning; a gentleman by the name Sahil went out to recover the failed service by delivering an assorted set of cake to my room (Though he did not know that I did not eat chocolate cake).
The check-put process was a also very smooth. This was very effectively handled by Preeti at the front-office.

However, the following were a few disappointments:
• Butler Vikram who was on service at night was a bit indifferent and appeared to be a bit slow,
• I found some dust in the bag which was kept in the cupboard… also there were dust in the corners – This majorly put me off
• The chauffeur (named Inderjit) who came to drop me kept on cribbing about the centralized tipping policy of the hotel and how individuals like him did not benefit as they were on contract.

I tweeted about the bad experience and was amazed to see that someone sent me a mail. Later there was a gentleman by the name of Amit Sachdev called me up to apologize and tell about the actions taken to correct the issues. I found this too pretty proactive. The hotel tracks cosnumers feedback in social-networking site.

Service failures do happen but when organizations take corrections you do not mind doing business with them.

I would still recommend any one to stay at Oberio, Delhi. It's a great place. Even if there are instances of service failure; there is an effort to correct it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DebuDeb
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Dear Guest,

We have taken note of your comments and I would like to assure you that your feedback to Amit has been given the due seriousness it deserves and has already been acted upon.

My team and I hope to showcase an improvement in these areas on your next visit to the hotel

We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel

Reviewed 30 June 2011

If you are here on business and have no choice … well bad luck, stay here. If you have a choice - don’t stay here.

This is Oberoi business, not leisure, and frankly it’s just not nice. Staff have no personalities and the rooms feel dirty and need updating. The restaurants are busy and very average.

The Imperial hotel is a much better choice.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theinspectorcalls
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback

I can assure you that your experience was certainly not reflective of our usual standards. Let me assure you that it is our constant endeavor to provide the best of services to our guests and that every guest of the hotel is treated with utmost professional care and hospitality. It seems we have fallen short this time

I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to showcase our product/services and assure you that we will live up to our usual high standards.

My team and I very much look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Oberoi New Delhi once again in the not too distant future.

Executive Assitant Manager Food and Beverage

Reviewed 20 June 2011

I was lucky enough to stay here for a week in April and what an amazing experience it was. The staff are fantastic, nothing was too much trouble, i was treated like a princess.

The lobby, restaurant, pool and gym areas appear to have been recently refurbished and are very modern. The bedrooms are a little old fashioned (this was my first visit to india so i'm not sure how they compare to others) but the rooms were well equipped and had everything you could possibly need. They were immaculately clean and the maid came twice a day.

The 360 restaurant offered a huge array of food from just about every continent but the indian food was by far the best. i loved the indian breakfast food it was much better than the buffet.

This place is 5 star and i am keeping my fingers crossed i will be lucky enough to stay there again!

Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mrs_p81

Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for your encouraging and kind words of praise for our hotel and services. Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of inspiration to our staff and this encourages us to achieve even higher standards of service.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

The hotel does not take your breath away as some of the Oberoi properties do but it is modern, comfortable, well appointed...the room contained a breakfast table (set with fresh coral roses and a complimentary bottle of wine), comfortable sitting area with couch, flat screen TV in two rooms and was quiet and comfortable. It was a pleasant hotel to begin our journey in India. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple