“Would expect more from an Oberoi”
Review of The Oberoi

The Oberoi
Ranked #2 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Milan, Italy
“Would expect more from an Oberoi”
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Rooms are old and bathrooms very small. I didnt feel it lived up to Oberoi standards. However I felt it was ok for a business hotel and staff was very warm and friendly. Their concierge Kartekyan (I hope I spelled his name correctly) was great, professional and such a great help in organising tour and hotel bookings in other cities. He really went the extra mile to assist us. The restaurant served a large breakfast with a very good selection of food.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you for your kind words of praise for the quality of food and recognizing Kartikeya for his services

I have taken careful note of your comment on the rooms. I do apologize for the incovenience. The hotel has got few rooms which have been renovated and we would be pleased to offer you the same in your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Executive Assistant Manager Food and Beverage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Although initially let down by staff trained in East Germany who for some reason are allowed to operate the security checks at the entrance, our experience at the hotel was generally very good. It insulates you from India (good thing) and you are cocooned in an air-conditioned space. The food is outstanding, best Indian food we had - the opposite experience was provided by the Westin Hyderabad which should be avoided at all cost. In fact that goes for Hyderabad as a whole.

The hotel provided a guide to take us to the train station. This proved to be invaluable. Without his guidance we would never have made it (there are people around the station who look like extras from Indiana Jones and chase your car, not sure if there was a dagger between the teeth). Because we were helped onto the train we actually then made it to Agra successfully, thanks to our guide.

Also - the check-in staff are well-trained. We discovered that this is rare in India and so you should try this hotel for this reason alone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback about our hotel, food and services. Your indication of our performance will encourage us to achieve even higher standards of service.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We spent 4 nights at Oberoi and were staff were all very caring, very dilligent and always smiling and ready to help. From outside the hotel does not look majestic but after you enter there is an aura of comfort and it looks good. Our room was a suit and was looking over Lodhi gardens, a really lovely view. The breakfast buffet was a large array of delicious items, both hot and cold. The room was comfortable and very well kept, but I found the bathrooms a bit small considering we had a suite. One mention to Neha Maxwell, the executive of housekeeping, who kindly sent me some of my belongings which I had left behind. The house keeping staff would always ask us when we passed by if we needed anything. I found the atmosphere very pleasant and even the airport drop and pick up was impeccable, with cold water, cold towels in the car, felt like we we really pampered.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors overlooking Humayuns tomb have a lovely view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your encouraging feedback. Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of inspiration to our staff and this encourages us to achieve even higher standards of service.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 October 2011

A good business hotel with really mordern public spaces and restaurant .The rooms seem dated and I felt cramped. Carpets and furniture is too loud and the view of the road accross was uninteresting. This was my business trip before I left on a tour of Rajasthan and I felt that I could have chosen the newer Oberoi. The bathrooms here felt small ; though the amenities were very good.
I loved the breakfast at 360 . The service was great too.
The only irritation was the price of the wifi-charged in a business hotel ??

Room Tip: Take a room on the golf course side
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you for your kind words of praise for the quality of food and services

I have taken careful note of your comment on the rooms and the internet pricing. I apologize for the incovenience. The hotel has got few rooms which have been renovated and as far as internet is concerned, we do have internet inclusive room packages. We would be pleased to offer you the same in your next visit

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Cardiff
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We stayed here for one night after a long flight from London. The outside is a bit dated but inside it is beautiful.

The staff were great, we ate in 360 restaurant and it was good. The Indian wine was suprisingly drinkable at 550 rps a glass.

The pool area is really lovely with nice gardens....we were the only people there. When you sit down they immediately bring you cold flannels, sun tan lotion, rosewater spray, bottled water and fruit juice....a really lovely touch.

There were some small errors on the bill when we left - easily sorted when we mentioned it. Our guide did say this is quite common at many hotels I.e. Not just Oberois so I would recommend you check your bill where ever you stay.

The hotel is aimed at leisure and business and seems to do a cracking job catering to both markets. The only whinge I have.... You have to pay for wi-fi...ridiculous at this sort of hotel when you consider the room prices.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your encouraging feedback. Your indication of our performance will encourage us to achieve even higher standards of service.

With regard to internet pricing, we do have special room rates and packages which are inclusive of internet services. We will be happy to offer you the same in your next visit .

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 9 October 2011

After being left at the airport for over an hour only to get lost for two hours in a local taxi, the oberoi started their resolution of this with a cake in our room. First the room was very outdated, second we found three spiders on the walls in the first five minutes and third cake does not resolve these matters, especially when you've come half way around the world to spend 11 days with this hotel group in India.. It was not until we had a very nice conversation with the manager that we were upgraded and given a complimentary meal. The room was outstanding, to say the least, and really quelled some of the disappointment with this and several other issues we had with oberoi over our 11 days. But in the end items that we were told would be taken care of upon check out were not, our final night in the Italian restaurant was basically a 45 min display of the chef and one staff member in an ongoing and very public/noisy dispute and the jacket I had altered at the hotel shops was promised to be delivered four days ago and now the hotel is asking if they can try to get it to the airport in Delhi before we fly home (somehow during our 1 hr layover?).

On a good note the sommelier is very nice and it's recommended, if you must stay at this business hotel, to sit in the cellar and let him give his schpeell about domestic and international wines.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Austen824
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We have taken careful note of your comment.

Please be assured your experience was certainly not reflective of our usual standard of service and I do apologise for the inconvenience. Your feedback has been shared with the relevant department heads and I assure you immediate improvement.

Your comments have been shared with the Sommelier who made your evening special

Thank you.

warm regards
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Spent three nights at the Oberoi in New Delhi. For a 5 star hotel, the phyiscal infrastructure was only okay but the staff was outstanding. From check in to check out they were helpful, attentive, and effective. I particularly appreciated their help dealing with my food allergy. I was at the hotel for a workshop and the staff not only dealt with my dietary restrictions but were very pre-emptive about it at group lunches and dinners in a way that was very minimizing on the effect to the event. During private meals in the 360 restaurant, the staff were able to very effectively help me determine what to eat and how to best enjoy my meal.

Room was nice (shower in our hotel in Gurgaon was better). TV had multiple US and British stations including a movie station. The room also had a DVD player and a list of complimentary movies you could request. Nice touch was complimentary bottled water; I especially liked that the bottles were 1.5L bottles and not the little 0.5L ones. House staff were extremely helpful but not in an overbearing way. There was a note in the room stating that, instead of tipping during your stay, you could tip at the end and note especially helpful employees by name.

I did not like paying for internet, especially at a converted price which was higher than many US luxury hotels. I also would have appreciated more clarity and more confidence that I could drink the water and eat fruit, cold dishes, etc. There was a note in the room saying the water was safe to drink but when I asked during check-in the clerk replied with a comment about the complimentary bottled water which made me concerned. I was so full due to the entree portions that the fruit was less of a concern but would have been nice to have a note on the breakfast buffet to clarify if US and Europeans could confidently eat the cold items that had contact with local water.

Overall, a very nice stay with no complaints worthy of concern to other travelers.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Dear Guest,
We sincerely thank you for your kind words of praise for the quality of product and services.
With regard to internet pricing, we do have special room rates and packages which are inclusive of internet services. I will be delighted to explain the various options to you over the telephone or email, as per your convenience.
The tap water in our rooms is potable. Since travelers from around the globe have different levels of senstivity, we recommend bottled water.
Looking forward to meeting you when you visit next.
Amit Sachdeva