“A real 5 Star hotel with all amenities.”
Review of The Oberoi

The Oberoi
Ranked #3 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Pune
“A real 5 Star hotel with all amenities.”
Reviewed 5 November 2011

The Oberoi Hotel truly shows the passion of the owner. It is a luxurious hotel located centrally and with all the Best in class amenities. The Ball room is of a good enough size to manage a capacity of 250 people . The ambience of the hotel is great . The options of cuisine is excellent and the taste is even better. The staff courtesy was very warm and it gave me the feeling of being someone special. The room was very clean and upto my expectations of what a Five star hotel should be. The Aircondition of the room was set to the right temperaturewhich did not made me even think about it. The room service was fast and i got the food i ordered very fast. The coonceirge service is also very good and they were courteous enough to guide me for the right route. Although i could not use the gymnasium, i did have a look at the facility. It seemed that they have quite a variety of equipments. This is good news for those who are regular in gymming and they would not miss out on their daily routine even while they are travelling.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 28 November 2011

warm regards

The Team at The Oberoi New Delhi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Room Tip: Choose a room with the Golf course view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your encouraging feedback. Your generous indication of our performance will remain a source of inspiration to our staff and will encourage us to achieve even higher standards of service.

warm regards
Reuben
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We really enjoyed this hotel. We had 2 interconnecting rooms for our family of 4. We were there in October so the evenings were a bit cool - we really, really appreciated the 2 heated pools - one inside, one out. Love that they have a pillow menu although the pillow that came standard in the room was DIVINE! Restaurant was good and food came quickly which was great since we were usually running late for our tour. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Location seems to be good as we were back home with 10 minutes after leaving the Humayon tomb.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback about our hotel, food and services. Your indication of our performance will encourage us to achieve even higher standards of service.

We look forward to welcoming you at the hotel

Cornelius, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Oberoi hotel in Delhi is a relaxing retreat for either business or pleasure. The rooms are comfortable and butler service is available to make your stay more enjoyable. This hotel has a workout facility with a variety of machines and free weights to choose from. Breakfast is served on the lower level and the food and service is above and beyond. If you are interested in visiting the Taj Mahal in Agra the hotel will assist in providing a car for your jouney. The only drawback to the Oberoi is the cost but it is to be expected given the level of comfort and service provided.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Sydney
Reviewed 24 October 2011

You must forgive me for this incredibly long review, but I couldn't say enough great things about the Oberoi. This is actually the abridged version of my review!
Having done a lot of research on trip advisor prior to picking this hotel, I noticed that many reviews raved about the service provided not only by the Oberoi New Delhi, but Oberoi properties in general. My husband and I just returned from 10 nights of stays through India at various Oberoi properties, and I must say, we have never experienced the level of service that we did during our Oberoi stays.
When I first read reviews highlighting Oberoi service, my initial thoughts were "well, it's a five star hotel that costs a good deal of money to stay at. Service should be a given, not a novelty. How is Oberoi service so special". However Oberoi service (and this was witnessed at every single Oberoi propery we visited) is different than any standard five star service we had ever experienced. What is the the distinguishing factor between "Oberoi service" and other five star hotel service? There appears to be a genuine thoughtfulness behind the service.

I would have thought that the thoughtfulness was a fluke, as in a few nice people who went above and beyond, but it was exhibited at 4 Oberoi properties by a number of different people. Some examples (I provide examples of other Oberoi properties in India because I think it's indicative of all Oberois, including this wonderful New Delhi property):
1) We didn't walk 10 steps through the airport after immigration before being met by a hotel representative who led us through the crowds and confusion to our driver (nice touch). We had arrived quite late in the evening but our driver asked if we wanted to see some of the key places on our way. We were eager to do so and he was quite happy to oblige. Again, a nice touch. The driver's sole responsibility is to transfer us to the hotel, but he went out of his way to give us that added service.
2) My husband and I were having evening drinks in the hotel lounge and I expressed to my husband that I felt cold. The waiter must have overheard me. Within minutes he was presenting me with a pashmina.
3) At the Oberoi in Mumbai, my husband wanted to see an Indian movie that they did not have in their library. They went out and bought it FOR him...as in to take home, for free. We left the movie for the hotel library in case other guests wanted to see it, but still. The cherry on top was that after about 20 minutes of presenting us with the movie, they, on their own accord and their own thoughtfulness with no prompting, brought us popcorn to enjoy with our movie. That truly left us speechless. That is a kind and thoughtful gesture that would be exhibited by a host, not your run-of-the-mill good service exhibited by hotel staff.
4) At the Oberoi in Agra I misplaced a diamond ring my mother gave me. The entire staff was put on alert. People I had not spoken to during my stay, approached me, assuring me they were on the look out. In the afternoon of the day that I had reported the ring missing, I walked into my room after swimming and there was this beautiful swan formation made out of towels, in the middle was one single rose and in the center, my ring. This is beyond! Good service is looking for it. Exceptional service that exhibits real thoughtfulness is presenting it in such a wonderful and kind way.
5) At the Oberoi in Ranthambhore, I was playing on my Ipad and mentioned to my husband that the screen was quite blurry and whether he thought the beach towel would scratch the screen. The waiter must have overheard me, because within minutes, he presented me with a soft shammy and cleaned the screen for me.
6) We drove from the Obeori in Agra to the Oberoi in Ranthambhore (a 6 to 8 hour drive. If you are considering this journey, I highly recommend arranging a driver over the train. We were able to see some incredible villages on the way. 20 kms of the drive is on unpaved road, and although definitely a bit of a hard drive, what you see is truly amazing). I needed to make a bathroom stop. The driver took us to a side-of-the road restaurant (not many options available). He first went into the bathroom to check it's state before giving me the okay to use. This may not seem special to some people, but being the massive germaphobe that I am, it was much appreciated.

I could go on and on, but I think I have made my point.

As to the New Delhi property itself. Our room was immediately available and check-in occurred in the privacy of our room, which I thought was a nice touch.
The room was very comfortable, a reasonable size and nice furniture. It wasn't necessarily an opulent room, but it was nice and we were more than happy with it. The bathroom was also quite nice (only complaint would be the positioning of the assistance bar in the shower...I hit my head on it twice!).
We had quite a few meals at the hotel and were very pleased with both the quality and variety of the food available and the service. The breakfast buffet is quite nice with an assortment of different Indian, western and Asian options. The waiters were quite attentive and very efficient. Only bottled water was presented and, as far as I can remember, it was always free of charge.
There is a new pool which is quite nice and looks more appealing than the old pool. Poolside service was wonderful as well. Within minutes of taking a chair, we were presented with water, cold towels and rose water spray.
The spa was also wonderful. Great service and the ambiance is perfect.
We arranged a driving tour of the city via the Oberoi. The price was quite reasonable. Expensive in Indian standards, (approx $120 or $160USD for the whole day, compared to $50 in a normal cab) but compared to private drivers in Europe or the US, a bargain. The driver was very knowledgeable and was an excellent driver...which you definitely need to drive anywhere in India.
The Oberoi had assisted in arranging our train tickets to Agra and provided us with a driver and hotel liason to the train station which proved a God send. I've lived and traveled throughout the world and ridden trains in some of the busiest cities, but have NEVER seen or experienced anything like this. It would have taken us at least an hour to figure it out ourselves. The hotel liaison escorted us through the lines, security and even got on the train to find us our seats. Another couple from the hotel were also on the train (they had their own driver and own liasion assigned by the hotel) and they really lucked out as the railway had made a mistake in regards to their seats. The hotel liasion was able to help them sort it out which may have proved diffiicult if they were on their own.
This was a fabulous hotel. My husband and I said many times over that the Ritz, Four Seasons and other well-known luxury hotels should really be on the lookout for the Oberoi chain as they are definitely redefining the concept of service and upping the ante. We agreed completely that in the future, where presented with the option of any other luxury hotel and an Oberoi, our vote would be the Oberoi.

To the Oberoi New Delhi: Well done and thank you for a truly memorable stay!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Dear Guest,

I will ensure you that your feedback is shared with the rest of our hotels

We look forward to welcoming you back

Team at The Oberoi New Delhi
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Rooms are old and bathrooms very small. I didnt feel it lived up to Oberoi standards. However I felt it was ok for a business hotel and staff was very warm and friendly. Their concierge Kartekyan (I hope I spelled his name correctly) was great, professional and such a great help in organising tour and hotel bookings in other cities. He really went the extra mile to assist us. The restaurant served a large breakfast with a very good selection of food.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you for your kind words of praise for the quality of food and recognizing Kartikeya for his services

I have taken careful note of your comment on the rooms. I do apologize for the incovenience. The hotel has got few rooms which have been renovated and we would be pleased to offer you the same in your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reuben Kataria
Executive Assistant Manager Food and Beverage
London
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Although initially let down by staff trained in East Germany who for some reason are allowed to operate the security checks at the entrance, our experience at the hotel was generally very good. It insulates you from India (good thing) and you are cocooned in an air-conditioned space. The food is outstanding, best Indian food we had - the opposite experience was provided by the Westin Hyderabad which should be avoided at all cost. In fact that goes for Hyderabad as a whole.

The hotel provided a guide to take us to the train station. This proved to be invaluable. Without his guidance we would never have made it (there are people around the station who look like extras from Indiana Jones and chase your car, not sure if there was a dagger between the teeth). Because we were helped onto the train we actually then made it to Agra successfully, thanks to our guide.

Also - the check-in staff are well-trained. We discovered that this is rare in India and so you should try this hotel for this reason alone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 20 October 2011

We look forward to welcoming you at the hotel