Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Unbeatable service, India-neutralized decor”
Review of The Oberoi

The Oberoi
Ranked #2 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
zurich
“Unbeatable service, India-neutralized decor”
Reviewed 25 February 2011

From the outside, the building looks like a concrete block from the seventies but the interior is Italian-chic. I often felt like I was in Milan with a few Indian touches, which is great for biz travellers who want peace and little distraction but a pity nevertheless. Besides the Italian restaurant (who goes to Delhi to eat Italian?), I loved the coffee at breakfast, asked if it was South Indian brew, only to be informed proudly that they were Lavazza beans. There is a bit of comedy in this. The jeunesse doree of Delhi with their Kelly bags (Hermes boutique down the hall), and gold lame salvaar kameez clearly bask in the European atmosphere. I have to admit that as a biz traveller, it was a mercy to be spared the tacky glitz of the Taj-type hotels. Noteworthy: the service was outstanding from beginning to end. When SWISS broke a wheel of our suitcase, a porter recommended that we claim the damage, which the hotel took care of. A new suitcase was delivered to our room within days. Talk about solving a problem for a guest!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for your kind words of praise for our hotel and services.

We look forward to welcoming you once again shortly

The team at The Oberoi New Delhi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Seattle, Wa
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I visited this hotel January 27-30 while on a business trip through the Middle East (Saudi and UAE). This was my first visit to India. I found the check-in - check-out process to be easy, but with good security. They scan all luggage before it can enter the hotel. I found the hotel to be very service oriented, and elegant. The rooms were average in size, but were richly decorated with lots of real wood trims, doors, and closets. There was a nice working desk, complimentary water, and fruit. I liked the buttler button on the wall if you ever needed anything, push it, and you will have someone at your door within a minute. There wasn't an iron in my room, and they took my laundry and pressed it for me with no fee. I ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant and there were many traditional American breakfast choices as well as Indian options. It was great. The bar was also nice, large, and had good service.

This hotel was expensive for its age, and location. I don't have other experiences in India to compare it to - but you can hear horns honking from early morning to late evening, but that is India. We had a driver so I'm not sure how the location of this hotel compares to other options.

New Dehli has many cultural monuments to see - take the time to understand the history it was amazing.

I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to otherse.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Muelheim an der Ruhr
Reviewed 20 February 2011

It was sinply wonderful. We were recieved very cordially with a welcome drink. Everything related to room alltoment, cleanliness, and tidinesse and order in the room was excellent. comapratively large rooms, with fridge, mini Bar, free mineral water and some fruits s all was very well orgnaised and smooth. For rooms with double occupants we got two electronic keys.
The breakfast was like a feast. The personnel gave individual attention to all our group members and lavished us with a such large choice of fruits, some of them really exotic, coffee, tea, sausages, cheese, a choice of omelettes, with massala, cheese, tomatoes, cereals, indian dosa, iddli, bread and toast, it was all an expression of indian hospitality, suiting the capital of India.
The hotel itself is situated in New Delhi has an enviable look, really majestic.

• Stayed February 2011
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 27 February 2011

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Went back after 5 years, very nice restaurants and renovated SPA

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 February 2011

I'm in Delhi every month for work but this was the first time I have stayed at the Oberoi which on this occasion was for a holiday with my wife. This is a standard 5 star hotel but what sets it apart is the arrogance and unfriendliness of a significant number of the the staff ( there are of course some exceptions) commencing at the front door through to the lobby and front desk. A large number of the male staff in these areas seem to think that women guests are there to be ogled and are there for their entertainment. You would expect this in a truck stop but not at this level. The lower level staff such as the room attendants and room service were great but not enough to make up for their more senior colleagues. I will never stay here again nor will anyone in my company. To the hotel manager who no doubt will respond with the usual insincere nonsense to this review, I suggest you visit the Taj Palace to see what impeccable customer service is, which begins at the gate and does not stop.

• Stayed January 2011
6 Thank PWCSydney
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear Guest,

I can assure you that your experience was certainly not reflective of our usual standards. Let me assure you that it is our constant endeavor to provide the best of services to our guests and that every guest of the hotel is treated with utmost professional care and hospitality.

I deeply regret the inconvenience. We will do our best to delight you, should you give us an opportunity in future

Sincerely

Reuben Kataria
Executive Assistant Manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Although the hotel is pricey but the location is ideal. The overall service is good but needs attention in the 360 degree restaurant.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel's location and services

I also have taken careful note of your comment on threesixty service not meeting your expectations. I can assure you that your experience was certainly not reflective of our usual standards of service and I sincerely regret the inconvenience.

I look forward to welcoming you again shortly

Reuben Kataria
Executive Assistant Manager Food and Beverage
Sydney
Reviewed 25 January 2011

The Oberoi has had some recent renovations (eg. 360 degrees, the spa, new pool area, and apparently some of the suites). I stayed in a standard room which was a little dated but otherwise beautifully appointed and very comfortable).

The service was the best I encountered in India - pleasant and efficient.

The spa is quite fabulous, although even one kid in the indoor pool will ruin the otherwise very zen atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Justin C
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, 29 January 2011
Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for your kind words of praise for our comfortable rooms and spa.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the service levels to your satisfaction