“Really helped us out”

Ranked #239 of 925 Speciality Lodging in New Delhi
Tokyo, Japan
“Really helped us out”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had our passports stolen whilst in India and were due to collect our replacements from the British Consulate 2 days after our arrival in Delhi. Having travelled for the last 6 weeks in India ith only a police report and photocopies of our passports/visas we had experienced no issues so far although on arriving in Delhi we were turned away from 2 guest houses and only when we arrived at Hare Rama were we allowed any leeway. Of course we would be supplying the guest house with our new passports and visas once we had acquired them and so we were allowed to stay as long as we didn't check out before obtaining the documents and allowing them to be photocopied and sent off as is the case with everywhere in India since the terrorist attacks in Mumbai. This compromise as far as I'm concerned showed a human touch and some common sense as well which the previous 2 guest houses seemed to lack.

The room was standard in its cleanliness as far as budget options go in India and the food on the roof top was ok, although I would recommend the breakfast options over any of the other food we tried there. With wifi upstairs and computers in the downstairs lounge as well as an on site travel bookers and money changers it seemed well put together, but I suppose with all of the competition in the area you have to be. I would recommend staying here as long as you're just after cheap and simple rooms with friendly staff.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Hebrew first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I slept there a couple of times, when i was a student in India and went to Delhi for some shopping. I wanted a small room with relativel clean bed for little price. The rooms were dirty and i was afraid to sleep in the bed without my sleeping bag. The toilets were always dirty , sometimes poops were floating in the toilet, but generally it was dirty. Once i called the cleaner to clean the bathroom, he came and apologized but then he wanted to pick me up. LOL. The reason why I still give 3 stars is because u get what u pay for. I was a student so I obviously couldn't go to 5 star hotels :)) I only recommend it if you bring your own sleeping bag.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank cirmicica
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I used to stay here back in 2000 and 2003. This time I have arrived in the evening and had to stay just few hours for connective flight. As Ajay was full I tried Hare Rama. I have to admit that it looked same like ten years ago. even writings on the walls. Security cameras all around, lack of maintanance (not talking about reconstruction) and missing Israeli Goa trance sound from most of rooms are things which are new. Good news was that it is still cheap, with working rooftop restaurant serving eatable food, 24 hours service and Tourist booking office in the basement. As this place is part of backpackers history in India, usualy it is full during peak seasons, but it is easy to ask, as people stay just shortly.

Room Tip: Higher floors are generaly better, some rooms do not have windows out, only to the corridors.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Sonoma, California, USA
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Staff is always incredibly friendly. I've stayed here five times. The rooms could be cleaner but are good for India's standards. The price is right, location is amazing, AC is an ice box, and the satellite tv is nice when you're bored. 24 hour Internet cafe in lobby is a nice kicker.

• Stayed July 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 4 July 2013

2012年11月12日に300ルピーで10時間くらい滞在した際、案内された部屋が汚くてびっくりした。トイレには、ウンコまであるし、シャワーヘッドは抜けちゃうし、今まで泊まった部屋の中で最悪でした。そんなに綺麗じゃなくても良いけど、せめて簡単な清掃と部屋内の最低限の修理くらいはして欲しいものです。

When I stayed about 10 hours with 300 rupees, the room where I stayed has also poo inside its toilet and whose shower head was broken. I was surprised to know that. This is my worst hotel. Although I don't require much as this is budget guest house,the staffs should clean more and repaire about important equipment.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ryoji2014

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stay two nights in Hare Rama Hotel, in the beginning of April 2013. We pay 500 rupies a night for a double room, with bathroom, without AC, sheets, towels or hygienic paper, and only with a window for the corridor. The bathroom was really dirty. The rooftop is OK but the food is nothing special and the staff lazy and not friendly.
Too expensive for what you get.
The location is good, not far from the Delhi Railway station.
We don’t recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cpiedade
Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed for one one here. Lots of Israelis, very easy for us to stay here. I think the main problem is the staff- truly not nice. They always want to show that they are in power, and they are so indifferent to you and your issues. The manager was trying to cheat me also- he told me he is making me a discount to 500 roopies, and that the price for a single room is 600. A day after, he opened his computer, and the room value, written in the computer, was 400. I think he wanted to steal some 100 for himself. Of course I paid 400. Beside this- rooms are fine, air conditioning is good, but it's not so clean- everytime one of the staff has a break, they go to lie down in some rooms, and after, handing them to us- without changing sheets. Anyway, it's still cheap, comparing to main bazzar.

• Stayed August 2012