“Good location, but very noisy”

Hare Rama Guest House
Hare Rama Guest House
Ranked #239 of 925 Speciality Lodging in New Delhi
Toronto, Canada
“Good location, but very noisy”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Room was ok, but the floor of the bathroom was quite wet. There were no electric outlets in the room, which made it hard for me to charge my laptop. I paid 600 rupees for one night. Be warned: quiet hours are from 10pm to 6am, and sure enough, right at 6am people began being extremely loud and woke everyone up in the hotel. The front desk staff were reasonably helpful, although not particularly friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank maposto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Hebrew first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I didn't bother making hotel reservations for my trip through India although wish I had done for Delhi as the Paharganj area was overwhelming and I was out of my comfort zone. Luckily I met an American girl on the Main Bazaar and asked her the best place to stay, she took me to the Hare Rama Guest House.

Firstly I couldn't believe how cheap a double room was EUR 5 a night. This is with private bathroom and bucket shower, with a television and fan in the room. The rooms are very basic and the bathrooms are moldy and it was quite a culture shock for me. I decided just to go with the flow as alot of westerners my age were staying here.

Normally this hotel would fall into the category of "terrible" but considering the cost of the room for the facilities you get and the helpfulness of the staff for what you pay it is actually "very good". They fixed the television immediately after it went a bit haywire, arranged an airport transfer for me, all in all I liked this place and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Gracie G
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in June 2013 for a while sorting out replacement passports and sightseeing. First of all, even though we were in Delhi to collect our new passports (with proof of the stolen ones), Hara Rama was the only guesthouse not to turn us away. They were understanding and trusting, for which we are incredibly grateful. The staff in the restaurant were all sweet and we had breakfast there most mornings because it was delicious and so reasonably priced. Our room was fine for a budget hotel in India (after 5 months you expect a lot worse). Because of the time of year, for the first time on our whole trip we went for an a.c. room which was the same price as non a.c. in Vivek & Ajay's, who turned us away. It was actually really good a.c. too! Great location and amenities (free wifi/ internet cafe downstairs).

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bell1987
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had our passports stolen whilst in India and were due to collect our replacements from the British Consulate 2 days after our arrival in Delhi. Having travelled for the last 6 weeks in India ith only a police report and photocopies of our passports/visas we had experienced no issues so far although on arriving in Delhi we were turned away from 2 guest houses and only when we arrived at Hare Rama were we allowed any leeway. Of course we would be supplying the guest house with our new passports and visas once we had acquired them and so we were allowed to stay as long as we didn't check out before obtaining the documents and allowing them to be photocopied and sent off as is the case with everywhere in India since the terrorist attacks in Mumbai. This compromise as far as I'm concerned showed a human touch and some common sense as well which the previous 2 guest houses seemed to lack.

The room was standard in its cleanliness as far as budget options go in India and the food on the roof top was ok, although I would recommend the breakfast options over any of the other food we tried there. With wifi upstairs and computers in the downstairs lounge as well as an on site travel bookers and money changers it seemed well put together, but I suppose with all of the competition in the area you have to be. I would recommend staying here as long as you're just after cheap and simple rooms with friendly staff.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I slept there a couple of times, when i was a student in India and went to Delhi for some shopping. I wanted a small room with relativel clean bed for little price. The rooms were dirty and i was afraid to sleep in the bed without my sleeping bag. The toilets were always dirty , sometimes poops were floating in the toilet, but generally it was dirty. Once i called the cleaner to clean the bathroom, he came and apologized but then he wanted to pick me up. LOL. The reason why I still give 3 stars is because u get what u pay for. I was a student so I obviously couldn't go to 5 star hotels :)) I only recommend it if you bring your own sleeping bag.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank cirmicica
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I used to stay here back in 2000 and 2003. This time I have arrived in the evening and had to stay just few hours for connective flight. As Ajay was full I tried Hare Rama. I have to admit that it looked same like ten years ago. even writings on the walls. Security cameras all around, lack of maintanance (not talking about reconstruction) and missing Israeli Goa trance sound from most of rooms are things which are new. Good news was that it is still cheap, with working rooftop restaurant serving eatable food, 24 hours service and Tourist booking office in the basement. As this place is part of backpackers history in India, usualy it is full during peak seasons, but it is easy to ask, as people stay just shortly.

Room Tip: Higher floors are generaly better, some rooms do not have windows out, only to the corridors.