“Excellent Hotel if you have no work in Delhi!”

The Grand New Delhi
Ranked #66 of 727 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I was "forced" to make a booking in this hotel for there was a wedding I had to attend last month which was being held in the premises. I typically avoid staying in hotels which host weddings & receptions but alas the choice is shrinking in India. I drove from Agra and apart from the regular issues I face negotiating Delhi roads and traffic, it was easy to locate the hotel (even though I had to cross the entire city for I drove via the expressway). Parking was not a problem with the hotel having adequate long stay car parks.

In any case the hotel is actually "GRAND" in every manner. The rooms are spacious and luxurious as one would expect in a 5 star. The decor and over feel of the hotel is beautiful and spacious. The staff is courteous and helpful. The breakfast spread was elaborate.

The location of the hotel is not your usual 'step out in the city' type though there is a huge shopping mall in the vicinity with food courts et al.

I could not eat at any of the restaurants (apart from the breakfast) so cannot opine on the food. The food at the wedding was good though which was also hosted in the hotel lawns. I would rate the Oasis Spa on the higher side, it is a fully functional Spa unlike other hotels where a Spa is included just for the sake of it.

Overall I would recommend the hotel to a tourist who would like to visit the city and then return pack to a rather peaceful environment.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 6th or 7th floor to avoid the disturbances of weddings and receptions.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Shabd
TheGrand-Management, Director of Rooms at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing experience from your stay at The Grand New Delhi.

We thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you during your stay in New Delhi this time. We have taken a note of your feedback and would also like to share that we have huge convention facilities with almost a separate entrance from the main hotel to provide privacy to our other leisure & corporate travelers in house. If at all the gardens of the hotel are to be used for any event, these are governed by stringent house rules to ensure that there is no disturbance to our room guests. The hotel has some of the best business facilities in the city to offer, to make it a great place to stay for the business traveler yet giving them a resort like feel.

We would also like to share that the location of the hotel is ideal for both business & leisure traveler. For places like Connaught place, Nehru Place, Jasola, Saket, Hauz khas, Qutab institutional area, Vasant Vihar, Chankyapuri, Ashram, Noida, Airport & Gurgaon, we are just a few Kilometers away. The distance can be covered within 10 to 30 minutes to the destination stated above in normal traffic conditions.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my family late last year and we loved every single minute of it. its a beautiful hotel with beautiful well equipped rooms. pure luxury! the bed was one of the most amazingly soft beds and the decor and architecture was fab! staff was friendly also and food was amazing! i would definitely recommend this hotel to others if you are looking for a comfortable stay in new delhi. only downside is it is a distance away from airport

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sandip k

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your stay at The Grand New Delhi on Trip advisor. It is nice to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our hotel and the services.

Our team is dedicated to provide a holistic stay experience to all our business as well as leisure guests and we are very pleased that you felt well looked after during your stay. I have also taken a note of your feedback regarding our distance from the airport and I am quite not sure of the route you have taken to come to the hotel as we are just around 15-20 minutes away from both the Airport terminals. We request you to please ask for hotel car for the airport assistance on your next visit to Delhi & I am confident that you will have a nice experience of your travel from airport to the hotel. Please feel free to write to me at dor@thegrandnewdelhi.com to make the necessary arrangements on your next visit.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Checked in for new year with a high expectations from the grand.. for it is supposed to be a very highly rated hotel in Delhi, sorry to say but some new hotels though smaller in size might score better in terms of standards provided in the rooms and in service. I am sharing my experience here.
Stayed in a grand premium room

The good things first.. ordered food from room service.. service was good.. food was warm.. provided in a warmer with well sized portions.

The bad things now....
BATH ROOM
1. Poor bath room fittings.. probably old and hence hard to turn taps of bath tub and wash basin.
2. Water from the basin tap leaked from the base from where it is fixed on the granite.
3. shower panel was relatively new, but again had poor maintenance.
4.THE DRAINAGE: poorer than in an old home.. water filled my bathroom even with normal shower usage.

ROOM:
5.Very ordinary.. i have visited smaller hotels with better mini bars, room facilities .. just a below expectation performance from the grand.
6. AC would just not cool.

SERVICE:
7. the room service just barged into my room without knocking.
8. again cameto my room late at night for .. cleaning.. don't know why..i never asked for it?

So I hope your stay ends like those who rates this hotel 4/5.. but do take their reviews with a pinch of salt for things can be bad here.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank siddharthjain82
Amit m, Director of Rooms at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Dear Mr.Jain,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. At the outset i am glad that you liked our in room dining food & services. Please accept my sincere apology for the other shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. It is also disappointing you found the room facilities and Air conditioning less than satisfactory. We want to bring to your attention that we are carrying out a complete preventive maintenance for each and every room during this period to ensure a zero defect room to our esteemed guests. Also, with regards to the staff knocked your room late at night, on investigation is found to have approached your room on the basis of your instruction to do the clearance of the in room dining food order placed by you late at night. We did take a serious note of your valuable comments, all the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve, as these enables us to target problem areas and take actions accordingly.

Again, thank you for staying with us and providing us with a candid feedback.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

A really nice place to stay close to the airport, shopping malls, and places of tourist interest. The food at the restaurant was really nice even my kids (10 & 5) liked it a lot. The pool and spa was also very nice and quite enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank FrequentCATraveler

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave these wonderful comments on TripAdvisor.

It is always a real pleasure to read that our guests enjoyed our services and we continuously strive to satisfy their expectations. Your special feedback regarding the food is very much appreciated and will be a great source of motivation for our kitchen team. I will certainly not fail to compliment them for their excellent work.

We all look forward to welcoming you again at The Grand New Delhi soon!

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We spent 2 nights in The Grand and were very satisfied with our time there. We liked the fact, that it is a little bit away from the growdy and noisy center of Delhi but close enough to everything you want to see and do. There are also 3 big shopping malls just around the corner and also the airport is just a 25 Min drive away. Our room was very species with a good view to the pool and the huge garden. There was everything you wish and need inside the room. We can only recommend the indien restaurant inside the hotel. The food was the best we had in India. Service was very good and always friendly. We highly recommend this Hotel and are looking forward to come back.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank justsun67

Dear Guest,

I would also thank you for appreciating & sharing most of the unique aspects of our hotel, mainly –
• A hotel away from the hustle & bustle in calm and peaceful natural environment, where every room comes with a nice view to enjoy.
• One of the best gourmet experience in the city, through - Caraway (Indian Specialty Restaurant), Cascades (All Day Dining Restaurant), “it” (Italian Restaurant ), WokTok (Pan – Asian Cuisine Restaurant), Crystal Lounge (Lobby Lounge) & Indulge (Pastry Shop).
• Just the right location for both leisure & business traveler. Almost equidistant from – Airport, Gurgaon, Cannaught Place, Nehru Place, Okhla or Chankyapuri. It just takes 20-30 minutes to reach any of these locations.
• Walking distance to three of Delhi’s most prominent malls including India’s only Luxury Mall.
• Spacious & contemporary rooms designed to suite every individual’s requirement.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back at The Grand New Delhi soon.

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We booked this hotel for transit at the airport according to the suggestions on this forum. I have a hard time to consider this hotel is at vicinity of the airport, actually, it takes about 20 minutes by tax. I was annoyed at one point when i wrote to hotel consulting for their price for airport pickup (scared by the notorious New Delhi taxi driver as all the first time tourists). The hotel charges 2700 Rs while even as a foreigner, a prepaid or radio taxi charges 350-450 Rs for the same trip. But after spending some time in New Delhi, i understand it is a common practice among all the high end hotels here, nothing really to complain :)

For those who just want to spend the night for transit, I would suggest Radisson Blue Plaza, it is much closer to terminal 3 and more importantly, the airport pickup is complementary. Though its room is not as good as the one in the Grand.

Other than not being that close to the airport and the hotel room is a bit old, The Grand New Delhi is excellent. Good breakfast, particularly comparing to the ones we had in another "5 star" hotel in Goa. The service is perfect, i was impressed when the porter helped us to remove the seals on our suitcase' zippers without being asked to (well, another common practice in India airport, it is only possible to be cut by knife or scissors, not very easy for us who just travel to New Delhi). The bed is fantastic, one of the best among all the hotels that i have stayed at. The hotel gym has good equipment, it would be perfect if they prepare a rack for squats :)

Room Tip: Avoid the pickup service provided by the hotel, just grab a cab at the airport. Prepared to pay 100...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
TheGrand-Management, Director of Rooms at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the experience from your stay at The Grand New Delhi on Trip advisor.

I am extremely glad that in particular you liked our - Rooms, Breakfast spread, Comfort of bed, Gym & the service extended by our team particularly bell desk. I will certainly not fail to compliment the teams for their excellent work. Though we have a well equipped, one of the city's largest GYM, your feedback on the rack for squats shall be worked upon in the time to come.

We have also taken a note of your feedback on the time taken in reaching our hotel from the airport and the pricing of the transfer by a hotel car. I am concerned over the misconception on the distance / time taken, as from our end we always share that the time taken from the airport to our hotel is around 15-20 minutes depending on the traffic conditions. We are generally one hotel, which is mostly complimented by the guests for being centrally located, unless someone really has appointments in Old Delhi or extreme ends of NCR region. Also, our cost for the airport transfer is INR 2200+Taxes amounting to INR 2472/- . However, we also have category of rooms where we provide with the complimentary transfers. I am confident that you must have booked this stay on a room only package, which would have given you a best price of room only by cutting all the frills.

We look forward to having you stay with us again, should your travels bring you back to New Delhi and it is this time that you may ask for airport transfer inclusive package rate and room category. Please feel free to let me know if I can be of any assistance to make arrangements.

Hospitably,

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Was there for my niece's wedding and stayed there for three nights. A large and well appointed property. Rooms are well equipped and serviced. Their Indian restaurant is just OK but their Coffe Shop surely rustles up an impressive Sunday Brunch.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gshroff

Dear Guest,

My team is dedicated to provide the best stay experience for our guests and we are very pleased that you felt well looked after during your stay particularly at the coffee shop. I have also taken a note of not so good experience at our Indian Fine Dining Restaurant – Caraway. I shall be eager to hear some more details and the areas that can be worked upon in order to bring to you the best fine dining experience in future. You may write to me at dor@thegrandnewdelhi should you wish to share your valuable feedback.