“Great Taste”

Ranked #67 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
New Delhi, India
“Great Taste”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We enjoyed the Caraway specialist’s dish, each with specially made spiced sauce & vegetable.

Manish Served & his team were welcoming & friendly. The Chef did come to table. It was spotless while everyone worked hard to prepare the meal and served very nicely. When restaurant was busy, they pace of service and the style of service-All of this was done to the absolute perfection. It will be memorable day for us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Nidhi v, Nidhi Verma, Head PR & Marketing Communications at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 23 August 2013

Dear 123 Rahu,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, It is indeed very heartening to know that we could provide you a memorable experience at CARAWAY, we are truly honoured and inspired by your recommendation.
Thank you for recommending us and we eagerly await your return and hope to be your preferred destination in Delhi (NCR).

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bolton, Lancs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

My daughter, her husband, myself and a business friend stayed at the Grand for nearly three weeks. We chose it because we wanted a good quality hotel from which to explore Delhi and the surrounding area and this turned out to be an excellent decision. The hotel is slightly out of the city, which, given Delhi's traffic noise, is a definite advantage. Although is is only 15 minutes from the airport, there was no problem with aircraft noise. There were always ac taxis the hotel could call at a moments notice (though some were somewhat battered!) and they are so cheap that being outside the city was no problem. We tended to agree a price for the day and keep the same driver.

A big plus was the three shopping malls over the road, which we walked to for food (an excellent restaurant called Punjabi By Nature became a firm favourite), drinks (The Beer cafe), cinemas (the most luxurious we have ever been to at £10 a ticket - relining seats, blankets, pillow, personal butler!) and shopping (one of the malls is a designer mall with Gucci, Louboutin, Dior etc. generally with much cheaper prices than at home.

The hotel itself was set in beautiful grounds with a large swimming pool and good sunbeds. As it is a corporate hotel, we virtually had the pool to ourselves, though there were a couple of families there during our stay who used it. The rooms were lovely, and the bathroom excellent, encased in black marble with a superb power shower. Tea and coffee making facilities were well stocked and renewed and the cleaning and turn-down service were great. The breakfast was a real plus; so much variety that even though we were there for nearly three weeks, we never tired of the food. Staff were very attentive - my daughter was particularly impressed with the little table brought for her bag to rest on! They dealt well too with an influx of passengers from a delayed plane, 200 of whom arrived at 4 in the morning and all had to be accommodated for breakfast.

The food in Cascades restaurant was good and reasonably priced, especially for a 5 star hotel, though be careful as in India, the VAT and service are usually added to the bill afterwards so the prices show on the menu are not exactly what you pay. There were Indian, Chinese and European dishes to choose from, and all the ones that we tried were beautifully cooked. We ate a la carte as although the buffet was very tasty we found it less good value than the other meals. The one negative point was the piped music...they clearly only have one cd and we got very bored with listening to naff renditions of old pop classics!

The Indian restaurant was also nice, but we preferred eating out at the local restaurants as the food there was superb and very reasonable. There is a food court in the nearest mall which has the usual McDonald's, KFC etc. as well as Indian fast food chains, if that is what you prefer.

We found the staff, from the room boy, to reception, to waiters, lovely and very helpful. We wanted to go to Amritsar by train and the hotel arranged tickets and an overnight stay in another 5 star hotel which was relatively painless. However, a word of warning; when we arrived at the hotel we discovered that we'd been booked in for the next night (I think this was the travel agent's fault that the hotel used) but this was soon rectified. If you use this service, check the dates!

I would definitely recommend this hotel for its location, facilities (though we did not use the internet as we were on holiday so I cannot comment on that), swimming pool, breakfast and staff. We will return on our next trip to Delhi.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lobby level overlooking the pool are lovely
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marvelmann

Dear Marvelman,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, It is indeed very heartening to know that we could provide you a memorable experience at the hotel and we are truly honoured and inspired by your recommendation, for all the facilities and services.

Toluca Mex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I just stayed one night in the hotel, I liked the check in and check out process, it was very fast. Hotel rooms are good size, bed is comfortable and room is clean. A little bit different than other hotels I've stayed and good quantity of amenities. Food was very good. I didn't saw any restaurant within walking distance. I had to pay separate for the internet access which was also poor quality.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Blur,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, It is indeed very heartening to know that we could provide you a memorable experience and we are truly honoured that your like our rooms and the food served during your stay.

Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The rooms & the people are gorgeous! The hotel offers an exquisite buffet for dinner & breakfast. The only issue is that the hotel is far from the town and close to the airport. That's why the hotel targets only customers using delhi as a passage (airport) or conferences.

• Stayed August 2013
Nidhi v, Nidhi Verma, Head PR & Marketing Communications at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback, It was indeed a pleasure having you stay with us and we are grateful for your feedback. We are happy to note that your stay was comfortable and our facilities & services were to your liking and expectation. It’s exciting to receive such valuable comments from our guests as we take pride and strive towards delivering an outstanding guest experience to make us the most preferred destination in the City.
Hyderbad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed as a guest of Commonwealth Program for a night on 7th August. Eventhough the program organisers had given the hotel clear instruction that all the expenses of the gusts would be met by them (Commonwealth), the reservation lady staff compelled me to pay a deposit of Rs. 5000 which I did not have at 9 pm during check-in. I ahd only cash of Rs. 1350 which she did not accept. Then I gave her my credit card and told her I will not use minibar for any purpose since I am heart patient. She assure me that the amount would be reverted within 24 hrs after check--out. Being from Chennai, I habit of using coconut oil on hair. Since I coul not find any such oil provided in the room, I asked the housekeeping. The staff politely said sorry since the section did not have even a sachchet of coconut oil (hardly it costs Re.1) but suggested sesame oil(Til oil) which was available. Since I did not have choice, I said "OK". When It came to my room, I smelled that it was a mixture of Til oil and other cooking oil. Reluctantly I applied on hair in the morning and went to the conference. The whole day I had severe headache and a sort of allergy by the oil. I later even gave a suggestion the manager to provide such simple amentities which really do not cost high but attract customer satifaction. Hope it will be implemented.
At the time of check out in the afternoon of 8th August, I was reassured by the front office staff that the sum of Rs.5000 would be reverted to credit card account. Even after a week period, the money was reverted. I daily make calls from Chennai to The Grand Hotel and the staff asks details as if he/she hears first time. I don't know when will I get the money reverted. The staff looks to trainees and are not well-informed about the procedures and booking instructions. The staff behaviuor has made me repent - why I satyed in such a hotel. I am sure they will not repeat such careless services in future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for having stayed with us and sparing time to provide us with your valuable feedback, However, I note with great concern that we were not able to live up to your expectations with regards to our services provided. With regards to the CC details the same is required by each and every guest as per our policies, but eh money is refunded back in case of no usage. This is a normal policy and been followed in by the hotels all over the city.

With regards to late refund the same is done at the banks end, but we do try and push them to have the same sent at the earliest, which we did in your case as well. In case their has been a delay we will take this up with them on a serious note and apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Lastly,I would like to appraise you as hotel do keep all the necessity items as amenities in the hotel. However, oil comes in a regular habit and vary from person to person in terms of fragrance and variety and it is not possible for a hotel to keep all of them at every point of time.
But we have taken your suggestion and we will work on the same with our core team members.

Once again thank you so much for sharing your feedback and look forward to welcoming back to our hotel.

Best regards,
Nice, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

My stay at the Grand can be considered unproductive since almost the 3 days there I had not access to internet in the entire hotel. My first day it was explained that it was a problem as since it was too late the support was not there. The second day the same, at the end of the day I requested to speak to a manager in charge after "begging" for Internet they gave me the a wi-fi devise...It is not acceptable that at such 5 stars hotel with that rate that I paid it was not able to have something that basic as the Internet!

Some other issues:
- requested a non-smoking room and they gave a smoking, the ashtray was on the desk and with the same check in employee with me at the room and asked what is doing that ashtray in that non-smoking room

Positive:
Very friendly staff and service orientedt
The support service at the check in at the airport very useful

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Nidhi v, Nidhi Verma, Head PR & Marketing Communications at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear Andres,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, but I note with great concern that we were not able to live up to your expectations, in terms of internet services at the hotel. Also,I do see the inconvenience caused due to smoking room, but i would like to appraise you as we did not have a request for the same earlier as part of your reservation details.

I do wish to reiterate that the above incident is an anomaly and not per our usual high standards of service and again deeply regret the inconvenience it caused to you.

Looking forward to serve you again and welcoming you to renewal on your next visit to The Grand New Delhi.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I recently stayed at the grand for a conference and some business meetings.
Firstly the rooms are great and bathrooms enormous.
great swimming pool and the gym was functional if not a little frustrating at times.

But the food oh my, it was to die for I must mention the WOK TOK restaurant which cooked off menu for me and involved me in the creations. The meals were fabulous, I had a tenderloin one night in the main restaurant and that was amazing too. so if you want some luxury and quality food its all there.
Clive

Dear Clive,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, It is indeed very heartening to know that we could provide you a memorable experience and we are truly honoured and inspired by your recommendation.