I had to be in Delhi for about 26 hours, so I ended up booking 2 nights at the hotel. Looks very impressive as you walk in: marble floors and columns, glass, looks grand, new and very clean. Kudos to the architect(s) and the workers who built this place. At first glance the room I got was just a nice, comfortable place. But then a number of problems started: (1) the sink was completely clogged and I had to call housekeeping to get that fixed. (2) then I discovered spots of (fairly fresh) urine on the toilet seat and a mild stench around the toilet. I cleaned the toilet seat myself enough to use it once. (3) the wireless just wouldn't work, and every time I talked to someone I got a different answer. Since it was late at night I gave up and went to sleep. But the problem persisted in the morning. Again, different answers and assurances that it would start working in a few minutes. Then I was told that the IT guys will need to look into it when they got in late that morning. That's when I decided it was too much. It was a business trip and I had some critical communications that needed to go out early that morning. So a bit of yelling and demanding that I speak to the duty manager elicited a call from him. In two minutes the internet problems were sorted out by some settings on their end. They sent housekeeping to clean the toilet, which they did. But guess what, the toilet looked clean, but the stench of urine remained. This was the best I was going to get, so I didn't raise it any more. They really need better cleaning techniques instead of reusing the same dirty rag over and over again. I suspect it just spreads the germs around.
The duty manager called back a few minutes later and offered a free bottle of wine for my troubles. I asked for complimentary internet instead, which he readily offered. But at checkout around midnight I was told they had no such information. So another round of exhibiting my temper and a couple of phone calls later I was told the charges would be waived.
It's not all bad, though. Breakfast is great. Restaurant service is great. Other than these issues, the room itself is very good and the decor is very nicely done. Although the bathroom is a little too dark.
But if things go wrong, they're either simply incapable of addressing it or will very confidently give you incorrect information. So don't believe a word they say until you confirm by alternative means. Unfortunately, it's only when you raise your voice that they're responsive (and after that they're overly obsequious). What they need is a staff that's credible, competent and professional. They don't need the extremes of incompetence and obsequiousness.
PS: I was also told by the concierge that a car rental of around Rs. 4500-5000 a day was the cheapest I would get in the city, which is complete nonsense, of course (another instance of the staff completely lacking credibility). I rented a very comfortable car for less than Rs. 1000 by calling an agency I found on the internet. Additionally, if you call the hotel to pick you up from or drop you off at the airport, they'll charge you Rs. 1800 for the 7-8km trip. Don't waste your money. I believe there's a Meru cab counter in every terminal, but please double-check that. The trip from the hotel to the international airport at midnight cost me only Rs. 225. The reverse might be 25-50 rupees more. Cars are comfortable, driver prompt, courteous and professional. They send you an SMS to confirm your booking with details of the car, driver, etc. (Their number is 4422 4422 in Delhi.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of NCR, The Grand New Delhi is one of the city's most luxurious and finest five-star hotels. Well-equipped and luxurious with modern facilities and with its resort like feel having luscious greens, magnificent waterscapes, service par excellence, The Grand New Delhi, is the ideal home away from home for discerning business and leisure travelers. Delivering an extremely exclusive and personalized experience to each of its guests, it is the quintessential destination to relax, unwind and discover the city at your own pace. Ideally located, The Grand New Delhi, previously known as Grand Hyatt, is in close proximity to the best the city has to offer- luxury shopping malls such as DLF Emporio, DLF Promenade, Ambience mall; entertainment destinations, perfectly harmonizing city conveniences, diplomatic enclave, near the airport and elite corporate neighborhood, making it the preferred luxury five star hotel in New Delhi. Boasting 390 elegantly designed rooms & suites; 8 distinctive dining and nightlife destinations; the much acclaimed Spa Oasis and salon, state of the art fitness centre, outdoor Swimming pool; over 30,000 square feet of meeting and event spaces at your disposal, combined with our experience and expertise in organizing banquets, weddings, meetings, and events, The Grand New Delhi offers an unforgettable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Southall Travel, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Grand New Delhi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grand New Delhi Hotel New Delhi
- Grand New Delhi
- Hotel The Grand New Delhi
- The Grand Hotel New Delhi