“Good basic hotel with great restaurant”
Review of Vivek Hotel

Vivek Hotel
Ranked #232 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
London
“Good basic hotel with great restaurant”
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I had read a lot of bad things about this place on here, but it was the only hostel recommended by both the Rough Guide and the Lonely Planet. I was pleasantly suprised with the hotel. It was basic, but the service was friendly, the room was good and clean (we went for deluxe), and the beds were perfectly comfortable.

The restaurant was good and you got nice views over the rooftops.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
California
Reviewed 9 May 2009

Hotel Vivek was recommended by a friend since I was traveling into New Delhi and needed to catch a train the next day. It was simple, clean (by Indian budget guest house standards) and was reasonably priced for the room.
There was some confusion at the front desk as to whether or not I paid when I arrived (which I did)- so keep the receipts they give you, just in case.
It's in Pahar Ganj (aka the hell realms), but the food in the roof cafe (Sam's) is safe to eat and there's a variety of foods.

I wouldn't vacation here, but it was fine for just passing through New Delhi.

Stayed September 2008
Norway
Reviewed 26 April 2009

We stayed at the Vivek Hotel 3 weeks ago (April 2009).
After reading many of the reviews we were pretty skeptical, but as it turned out, despite pretty hard beds (which are common in India), we had nothing to complain about.

We arranged an airport pick-up months ago. No problem.
The pick-up price was what they said.
We booked a CLUB ROOM that was clean and the bathroom was fine.
As regards the criticisms,
don't book any standard under a club room, or you will get what you pay for from what I hear.

Sam's bar on the roof makes the whole thing worth it, believe me.
It is a real oasis. Ice cold beer. Great service. Good food.
The location, right in the middle of Pahar Ganj on the main bazaar was exactly what I wanted for my first time in Delhi. Exposed and in the middle of the madness.

No, it is not the Ritz.
The hallways and stairwells are still undergoing a developmental process (don't worry, it was still quiet) and it is not a standard comparable to decent motels in the west, but, if you just want a decent, clean, air-conditioned, and what we felt was a safe lay-over for one or two nights in the middle of Delhi it was fine, especially with Sam's Bar/ restaurant on the top.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeffersnorway
traveltohell
Reviewed 27 February 2009

Ok fellow travelers..this hotel is a ok.. its clean and the bathrooms are CLEAN ..(hard to find a clean bathroom in budget hotels in India). The restaurant is ok too its inexpensive and the kitchen is an open one so it seems clean too. I have been traveling for 3 months in India and would recommend this hotel. I paid about 800 Indian rupees for my room for a night. Nice market outside and the metro station is around the corner, but beware of people coming at you to sell you stuff you don't need... oh and there are cows on the road too....

• Stayed January 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 February 2009

I was budget traveling for 7 months and the Vivek hotel, by far, was the worst place that I stayed. They cannot be trusted...period. They never showed up to pick us up at the airport. They gave away our room that we had reserved months earlier. (They had one room left that was so beyond gross and miserable that we were unable to even sleep the first night). They claimed we did not pay for our room. They were trying to make us repay. I finally found the receipt they had given me. They did not make any apologies but instead said that I was a good girl. (What does that even mean?) This place had a variety of room from pretty nice with A/C to something resembling a Thai prison. Just because you make a reservation for a nice room doesn't mean that is where you will end up. Their word mean nothing. Also, even though the rooms are nice, everything else about this building is pretty grimy and gross. I have spent a few months in India and anywhere else is better than this. Please avoid and do not support these people that are unsavory bad people.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank drumaroundtheworld

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2009

A rip off, unfriendly, untrustworthy, unwelcoming, lacking of any charm place to stay.
We had booked a pick up from the airport which was not there when we arrived. There was no record of our booking even though I had emailed and called several times to confirm. When we got a cheaper pre-paid taxi to the hotel we had a very unwelcome greeting and a man who showed us 3 awful rooms which we picked the nicest at 1500inrs. I wish we had stayed elsewhere.
Sam's cafe was ok and had a good view of the main bazaar but was also really unfriendly. Food was average.
When we checked out, the receptionist had the cheek to try and make us pay for the taxi which didn't turn up and they had no record of the numerous conversations/emails I had made/sent. He even went through the name cards from that day to prove he had been there but couldn't find it!
Stay elsewhere!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vivisace75
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 20 January 2009

Upon arrival on January 1st all the staff could offer two people was a small room with no window - at 900 rupees. Asking for a room with a windomw the next day just gave us a cold shoulder and upon checking out we had to haggle for a refund of the deposit paid for the second night.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank VikingtravellerOslo