“Great location, comfortable rooms”

Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi
Ranked #41 of 707 Hotels in New Delhi
Bengaluru, India
“Great location, comfortable rooms”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed here for around a week. Loved the location - in the midst of government bungalows with lush verdant greenery covering buildings. Quite a relief from the concrete-glass urban jungles. The room was good - quite spacious and well appointed. The service was Taj class - so no problems with that as well. I think they can leverage the old world charm of the hotel in terms of room decor. The other thing I was disappointed by was the 'balcony'. It opens out into the inner courtyard which houses the generator, kitchen and what not. No wonder that there wasn't anyone else using their balcony.

In terms of food - the breakfast spread is great and I completely enjoyed different options from Puris to Parathas and Muffins to Muesli. Also loved the 'idli chaat' at the coffee shop! The cherry on top was the fact that the chef personally delivered a pastry and desert on the last day of our stay, with a thank you message.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
gmvivanta_ambassador, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Aamadmo,
Greetings from Vivanta By Taj – Ambassador, New Delhi

At the outset, I would like to thank you for your feedback for your stay at Vivanta By Taj- Ambassador, New Delhi.

It is always a thrill to get e-mail, particularly when it is as positive as your experience was.

We strive every day to ensure our guests have a wonderful meal and a marvelous time at our hotel and it is extremely encouraging for someone to tell us. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. It really means a lot to me and us.

Thank you again for your kind comments and patronage. We look forward to serving you again.

Sumeet Taneja

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Westford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 May 2012

The staff at the hotel are friendly and extremely helpful but couldn't really offset the poor room. The room is very large (see picture --- sorry it's so blurry) and with a sizeable desk that allows you to get some work done. However, the beds were not comfortable and the bathroom was in need of an update. Worst of all, it had no water pressure so getting clean was a challenge and one day, I had to go without hot water (and barely a trickle of water pressure). They charged Taj prices but did not provide Taj quality (but did provide Taj service). Food there was pretty good as I had both dinner and breakfast in the hotel. Atmosphere was very pleasant and if it had better plumbing and a more comfortable bed then I might recommend it -- the hotel has a lot of potential.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelingPards
Dear TravelingPards,
Greetings from Vivanta By Taj – Ambassador, New Delhi

I have noted your feedback regarding ‘plumbing and more comfortable bed’. I apologise for the annoyance that this may have caused to you. Issues highlighted by you have been taken up sternly with our Chief Engineer and Executive Housekeeper. Trust these lone incidents in no way would dilute your association with the Taj.
You have my personal commitment and assurance that you will have no further cause for any complaint. We are actively working upon them and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.
Your compliment ‘food was pretty good’ has been shared with our team; this sure would encourage them to strive for better.

I do look forward to meeting you on your next visit and assuring you of our best services always!

Mumbai, India
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

I was there on a work trip and for this once decided to stay at the Vivata by Taj - Ambassador at Khan Market in New Delhi. I have stayed at both the other Taj hotels in Delhi (Taj Palace and Taj Mansingh) and several other properties in India but this is by far the worst of any Taj properties anywhere. It does not even feel like as if you are in a Taj hotel. The lobby smells of a weird spray and the front end staff are uninspiring and take forever to check your in.

I had an upgrade voucher so had a higher category room, which was large, very spacious, with even a balcony and though it was a nice room, nothing about felt like the Taj. It was just about a good room in an average hotel. The hotel was seemingly constructed in the 1950s and has that shady, glock feel about it. The corridors were more like hospital corridors, the lifts were minuscule for a hotel of this category, it couldn't probably take more than two people at a time.

The breakfast restaurant, The Yellow Brick Road, is terrible, so small that you walk into it and probably don't even realise when you has walked out of it. Really small, with a seating space outside but which you really don't want to use in the summer heat. The food is bad, to say the least. The staff however is efficient and responsive though that stops to matter given the average food spread. No ambience at all, with a TV screen, which makes the tiny place extremely noisy.

Room service has to be reminded twice before your order is delivered.

The only singular advantage of this hotel is the location and specially since the metro works in Delhi. The Khan Market metro station is right behind the hotel and is exactly a 3-minute walk from the entrance of the hotel. The posh Khan Market is just a hop and skip away, everything from McDonald's, Subway to several high-end luxury brands.

Would surely not recommend it, specially not if you are looking forward to staying in a Taj.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pranavito
Dear Pranavito,
Greetings from Vivanta By Taj – Ambassador, New Delhi

I have noted your comments with concerns regarding ‘corridor maintenance, Front Office services, quality of food & In Room Dining’. Kindly accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. The issues highlighted by you have been taken sternly with the concerned heads of the department. Trust these lone incidents in no way would dilute your association with the Taj.

We will make sure that you carry back better memories of your stay with us in the future, and towards this please allow us to be of service to you once again. Your suggestion regarding ‘seating at Yellow Brick Road’ has been noted.

Do kindly treat these as a one-off aberration, on our part and not a mark of the hospitality that Taj is known for.

I do look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 May 2012

More commonly known as the Taj Ambassador - this hotel continues to provide an oasis in the heart of one of the world's busiest cities. The location is the best you can have in Delhi because you can walk to Khan Market. Restaurants in Khan Market are great and it means you can get away from eating hotel food. The staff at this hotel are fantastic - always willing to help out. Make you feel welcome every time you visit. The cab drivers attached to the hotel are fantastic - they make sure you get to your appointments on time and they don't get lost. Great value as well. Some of the rooms are a bit tired but I still find them comfortable. They have plenty of space and light which is an added bonus. You can't go wrong if you stay at this hotel.

Dear Kerebs,
Greetings from Vivanta By Taj – Ambassador, New Delhi

Thank you for your detailed note of appreciation & kind words for Chauffeurs & all others. I have shared your feedback with our team; this sure would encourage them to strive for better.

My team and I look forward to your next visit.

auckland
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I last reviewed this hotel after my stay in Sep 2010, I have since stayed at the hotel twice since then, once in Sep 2011 and April 2012. This is a unique, boutique, historic hotel. Its definitely not the flashest place, and some parts of the hotel need some real work to get them up to a decent standard. The quality of the food has improved, particularly the breakfast area which is lovely. The best part of this hotel is the location (next to the amazing Khan Market) and the staff. You are greeted by every single staff member when you arrive at the hotel and everyone is really genuinely keen to assist and very friendly. One downside is their strange habit of trying to give (repeat) guests the worst room in the hotel, Both times in Sep 2011 and Apr 2012 when I have been shown to my room they have tried to give me very tired single rooms (2 x single beds) even though I had definitely booked a double. Both times it has been a bit of a hassle to change the rooms - often having to wait hours but in the end I have gotten far better rooms as a result - not sure why they couldn't have given those to me in the first place (particularly when my colleague and I stay there regularly!) This time I got a lovely large suite on the 4th floor with a balcony. Despite this the service is fantastic, with staff members going out of their way to help. I love the fact that when we were running late to a meeting but hadn't had lunch they quickly prepared a lovely toasted sandwich and fries and placed it in a box, with a plate, napkins, knife and fork, tomato sauce for us to eat in the taxi on the way to the meeting. Overall I will continue to stay at the Taj Ambassador for the location and the service, and I just hope to get a nice room on arrival next time. I would recommend this hotel to people who like a unique, historical hotel in a quiet residential enclave with all the Taj Vivanta service and standards.

2 Thank soapieAuckland
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This was my place of stay during my last two trips to the capital of India. The location of the hotel is very central but otherwise the property does not add any value to your stay. The lobby is unremarkable with a small window type reception counter and a bell desk in some corner. The corridor is highly neglected as one can see dirt and stains on the carpet while taking a long walk up to the room from the lift. The lifts are also too small for even two people together. Nothing much to say about food served at Yellow Brick Road and Larry's China, where I had dinner and lunch respectively. The breakfast buffet is laid daily at Yellow Brick where shortage of space can be a major issue when the place is full. I did not find the room very well maintained and bathroom features were absolutely outdated. Overall, mixed experience as the management of the hotel goes out of its way to cover up weaknesses as much as possible and staff everywhere wear nice smile and delver to the best of their ability.

Room Tip: Never stay on first floor, insist on higher floor rooms with view.