“Disgusting and No Heating!”

Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi
Ranked #47 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Be warned, this place looks very different in person. We checked in after a 24 hour train ride, to a very large but crumbling room. The bellhop can see how exhausted we are but he stays in our room lingering and telling us about standard hotel info we don't need - after finishing up his meaningless rant, he finds reasons to stay, asking stupid questions - clearly he didn't want to leave until we give him a tip, which we finally did just to get him out. Scratched wood everywhere, artwork and lamps tilted and out of place. I went to see the "patio" outside and I found trash everywhere, crumbling bits of cinderblock and concrete - not a place I wanted to walk through.

Then the bathroom. The window was grimy everywhere, with cobwebs sticking here and there. Is it really that hard to clean once in a while? The shower/tub was SUPER NARROW, I almost fell showering several times. Thank God I didn't fall and crack my head open. There was no where to put the shower supplies, just a tilted window nook on which things kept rolling down - so frustrating.

Now let's talk about the heat - there was no carpet either...and the floor was freezing cold. I put the AC up to max, no change. I called about it and they weren't even surprised - before I could even finish my sentence they said, "we'll send over a heater" and that was it - it felt like this complaint they expected. Why would they give us a room with busted heating, I wondered? Delhi is freezing this time of year... We wait several minutes and they brought in a tiny little old space heater. This thing was about the size of tiny slide projector, but did an even worse job of heating the room - not to mention it was disgusting, covered in dust - gross.

Freezing cold and frustrated I go to the front desk to complain. At this point I'm ready to leave, but they asked "can we interest you in a different room." So they "upgraded" us to a room one floor up. It was about the same, just chopped up into a living room and a bedroom - it felt somewhat warmer though. At that point we were so exhausted that we decided to just stick it out. Now this room was facing sunlight so it was a bit warmer than the previous room, but when nightfall came the room was freezing! I turned up the AC temperature but it didn't work - same issue as the last room!! What's going on?

I called and said that they need to bring someone in here to fix the central heating. They told me that actually the hotel did NOT HAVE CENTRAL HEATING.....and that they were sending up another one of those gross slide projector looking space heaters. Nooo!!! but it was late, New Years Eve, and we just needed to rest. They brought in the heater and it didn't work well, not to mention since this room was shaped into 2 rooms, we needed a second heater.

I called to get the second crappy heater and they said that they'd bring it up. 5 minutes later they called to "confirm" that that's what I wanted. "uhh...yeah.. hurry I'm freezing" Then 10 minutes later, they call again, someone else calling this time but wanting to confirm it. 5 minutes later they call again - same guy - saying that his manager said that 1 heater is all that was necessary to heat the room.... Excuse me? Am I lying? Is that my big plan, to manipulate hotel staffs into putting 2 crappy space heaters in my crumbling room on New Years Eve for no reason at all? It's cold, there are 2 rooms here, the other room is much colder than the room with the space heater, so bring 2 of your tiny little space heaters here. Then they say the room isn't wired for it. Nonsense, they could use the opposite wall even if that were true (which they did). After calling them out on BS and yelling at them, they finally brought it up put it on the far wall and there were no electrical issues whatsoever.

That night we were still freezing cold. We coughed and sneezed all night, going in and out of sleep - we both woke up ill and congested. In the middle of the night my cousin had to leave his twin bed and sleep on the tiny couch in the other room because the space heater proximity even wasn't letting him sleep - poor guy.

Although we were booked for 3 days we pack our things in a fury and get ready for checkout. We didn't know where we were going to go next but we sure as hell didn't want to stay there.

When wanting to checkout they wanted to charge us an early termination fee until I told them that we were both sick because of the dreadful conditions.

We then checked into LaLit - which was a gorgeous luxury palace!!!! and cost less than this hell hole.

A few more things:

Every excuse they made started with "this is a heritage house" - so does that mean you can't clean or fix anything because it's a heritage house? Come on...

The WiFi was a joke - it moved at a crawl, and cut out constantly. Terrible.

Also, and stay with me on this - it's not as bratty as it sounds. You have to tip 1000 people who just annoy you and never help you. Everybody here wants a tip and there are WAY too many service people standing around staring at you - so creepy and annoying. I know that's supposed to sound like a good thing (having more service people around), but seriously you can't walk down the hall without the annoyance of having to exchange greetings with 10 people staring at you ever so creepily. I get that labor is cheap, so they CAN have a person at every step but there's a limit to everything right? Can't I just simply walk down the hall? If I need something I'll find you, you're everywhere anyway. Annoying as hell. I can't tip ALL of you! Stop!

Even at breakfast, I almost tripped over these people watching me every move I made. Usually I like the feeling of a lot of people around - it's like you're getting pampered - but this was without a point....just get out of the way! What's worse was the tiny buffet room. The chef, a floor manager, and 3 servers crammed in there. The room was small enough but I had to slide myself in between service people just to get the simplest thing. I know how to fill my own plate and get my own juice - that's the point of a buffet. If I wanted to be served, I'd order food.
And with all those service people in the breakfast room, you'd think SOMEONE would notice how filthy the underside of all the plates were. They ONLY CLEAN THE TOP OF THE PLATES!!! Every plate I went through, the bottom was full of buildup of bits of food that made it through the wash somehow. That tells me that they don't even rinse them! they just have one guy with a rag cleaning the top. Gross!!! This would actually be sort of okay (though still disgusting) if it weren't for the fact that they STACKED every plate on top of each other. So there was really no point to cleaning them because they got dirty again from touching the underside of the plates stacked above them. Gross gross gross!!!

Room Tip: Do not book a room here.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevin M
gmvivanta_ambassador, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Greetings from Vivanta By Taj – Ambassador, New Delhi.

We thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

I have made a note of your of your feedback regarding various issues. Kindly accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. The feedback has been taken up sternly with the concerned head of the departments. Trust these incidents in no way would dilute your association with the Taj.

In the meanwhile we have also spoken with your cousin who made this booking and as per him he is very positive about the stay beside a small concern.

You have my personal commitment and assurance of flawless service on your future visit. I would like to reassure you that the lack of service you experienced is unusual and not the standard of our Hotel.

Do kindly treat above as a one-off aberration, on our part and not a mark of the hospitality that Taj is known for.

I do look forward to meet you on your next visit and would be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Before I checked into the hotel I had seen some of the negative reviews so I was bit apprehensive about the stay. But I trusted the name Taj Vivanta as I previously had a superb experience in Taj Vivanta, goa.
Once I checked in i got to understand how much my decision was right. I stayed here from 25-19th Dec. it's a very good hotel. it has very big rooms. The location is prime. The service is flawless. We had aged persons with us and they have taken extra care for the aged people which was very touching. We got 2 rooms adjacent as we requested. The breakfast was also just superb , with lot of options and very good service.
Taking every aspects in consideration it's a big thumps up from me to this hotel. it made our Delhi, Agra trip very comfortable.
Thanks to all the stuffs of Vivanta.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Atish_Sihi
gmvivanta_ambassador, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Greetings from Vivanta By Taj – Ambassador, New Delhi.

At the outset, I would like to thank you for your feedback for your stay at Vivanta By Taj- Ambassador, New Delhi.

It is always a pleasure to get a feedback, particularly when it is as positive as your experience was.

We strive every day to ensure our guests have a wonderful meal and a marvelous time at our hotel and it is extremely encouraging for someone to tell us. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. It really means a lot to all of us.

We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had a very pleasent stay at Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador. Our room was impeccably clean and very spacious with a big balcony. The food in the restaurant is also very nice. All the staff was very helpful in all aspects of our stay including helping us to book train tickets to get to Agra. I definitely would come back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking your time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We are glad that we were able to make your stay with us a pleasant one. Positive reviews like this is a great source of motivation for all of us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thanks & Regards,

Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is a good hotel for a comfortable Delhi visit, and the property is pleasantly funky and post-colonial. It's time for some renovation, however, and some facilities are a bit too faded to be fun. Overall good value and a great location near the embassies. My suite was lovely.

I moved to the suite after a hellish night of pounding 'music' from the bar, one floor below. The hotel also rents out its garden for parties, so be warned: guest comfort and convenience takes second place to money-making events.

Room Tip: Don't even think about taking a low floor room near the bar...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from Vivanta By Taj – Ambassador, New Delhi.

We have noted your comment with concern regarding ‘noise disturbance’. Kindly accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. The issue highlighted by you has been taken up sternly with our Food & Beverage Manager. Trust this lone incident in no way would dilute your association with the Taj.

With regards to your suggestion ‘time for some renovation’ kindly note the Hotel is old and also one of the Heritage property, the upgradation process is under the planning phase. The same has been taken as a suggestion.

We will make sure that you carry back better memories of your stay with us in the future, and towards this please allow us to be of service to you once again.

Assuring you of our best services always!

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We had my brother's wedding here - the staff were absolutely amazing and were the highlight of the hotel.

Also, all of the facilities were lovely, especially the spa and swimming pool.

Only downside is that is takes ages to get anywhere - but I think that is just how Delhi works really... !

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
gmvivanta_ambassador, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear Guest,

At the outset, I would like to thank you for your feedback for your stay at Vivanta By Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi.

It is always a pleasure to get e-mail, particularly when it is as positive as your experience was.

We strive every day to ensure that our guests have a wonderful time at our hotel and it is extremely encouraging for someone to tell us. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us.

Thank you again for your kind comments and patronage. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I arrived late from airport and after going through more security checks on taxi and bags into a very tired and unwelcoming foyer. Walked around and looked in restaurant full of screaming kids at 11pm then into bar, totally empty so went up to room. The two elevators are tiny and difficult to manoeuvre luggage. Room was large with two tiny beds and the thinnest of tired worn out sheets, duvet and pillow cases. Looked in the bathroom with drippy taps, rusted and broken tiles, cracked and broken windows and then worn out, faded and tired towels well past their sell by date. The room was cold and had galvanised steel ceiling fans which were useless. Had a terrible nights sleep with horns going off all night and rickety doors banging from the wind. Decided to get some sleep and checked out first thing in morning with no included breakfast eaten. An awful experienced leaving me feeling tired, dirty and unwelcome. Never again!

Room Tip: Best tip is do not stay here and go for another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank KEVIN R
gmvivanta_ambassador, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Greetings from Vivanta By Taj – Ambassador, New Delhi.

At the outset I am indeed apologetic for the inconvenience caused to you. I have made a note of your comment with concerns regarding various issues. The issues highlighted by you have been addressed with the urgency and attention it deserves. Trust these incidents in no way would dilute your association with the Taj.

I pledge to make sure that you carry back better memories of your stay with us in the near future, and towards this please allow us to be of service to you once again.

Kindly treat this as a one-off aberration, on our part and not a mark of the hospitality that Taj is known for.

I do look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

The service here is excellent. There is a business center, open 24 hours, where you can use a good computer and the internet without charge. Access to the metro system is easy because the Khan Market metro stop is right outside the hotel. Wine and beer stores are difficult to find in Delhi. There is a good liquor store within a 5 minute walk of the hotel that does not increase the price for tourists.

Room Tip: This hotel sprawls for a long way. If walking is an issue, ask for a room near the elevator. Rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

We are glad that we could make your stay comfortable and that we managed to meet your expectations. Positive reviews like this is a great source of encouragement for me and my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel.

Warm Regards,

#18 of 715 in New Delhi
Vivanta by Taj, Surajkund
Vivanta by Taj, Surajkund
#1 of 20 in Faridabad

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi? Share your experiences!