“Basic business hotel”

The Claridges New Delhi
Ranked #41 of 727 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Nothing wrong with the Claridges, but nothing exciting either...Rooms ok, but slightly outdated, courtyard with pool looks rather depressing, bar not good at all...

Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Dirk3061

Reviewed 30 September 2011

I am a member of the Claridges Club and tried redeeming a complimentary stay coupon which was going to expire soon. Not only did not have rooms available for members with coupons, they refused to extend the duration of the coupon. I paid good money for this annual membership and feel cheated. To top it off, the Claridges Membership Club have an extremely rude, unhlepful set of employees who sounded the least bit apologetic. They had no desire to try and keep a customer satisfied or retain them. Terrible, terrible service.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ShivaniR
Reviewed 29 September 2011

New Delhi is a busy, dirty and noisy city so this hotel is a real oasis in the centre. Service is exceptional, we got from the train station too early but they were quick to give us an amazing room and we were upgraded to a suite for free!! The suite was unbelievable with two gigantic TVs, loads of pillows on the massive bed and lovely bathroom.
My brother was also upgraded and his room must have been the super suite or something as it was larger than our flat in Spain with two balconies and gigantic room and living room!
The swimming pool is the only one we saw in India which was deep, which was nice for swimming. The cocktails at the pool were yummy. Unfortunately service was very slow and once we had to cancel our order of drinks because we had been waiting for over an hour and we had to check out.
The shops were nice and some of the things were well priced although we were sold a gold pendant, supposedly unique and a while later they had another for sale! The worst is that we found out it wasn't gold at all and the gems were fake!!

The bookshop is lovely and well priced, they have a nice range of books!
We tried the Spanish restaurant and the normal restaurant. They were both ridiculously expensive and the food wasn't that good at all. We paid 50 euros for two burgers, bread and drinks, no pudding! That's pricey! We weren't offered buffet as we were 5 minutes late even though everyone else and other family members were all having buffet at the same time as us.
Check out was wonderful, they kept our luggage and extended our stay as late as possible for no extra charge which was great!
Overall it was an unbelievable experience even though it's quite pricey!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank IngridHughes
Reviewed 27 September 2011

It is a centrally located property near Lodhi gardens where one can go for a walk. Has nice restaurants but not very spacious with normal rates for five star place. Staff is courteous and the place is usually not so crowded.
rooms are very good with normal room service.
I would rate the experience as above average and felt space constraints.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2011

The building is tired on the outside, the pool and other areas need work plus if you want to wander outside there isnt much to see or anywhere to go to eat etc as its primarily in the embassy area. On the other hand if you want to stay in the hotel its well decorated and comfortable. Was a bit disappointed that despite being there for bed and breakfast they charged us for a takeaway breakfast on departure which was sparse at best.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JamesMiltonKeynes
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I had heard of this hotel in New Delhi for a very long time now, but had not yet stayed there. This time I specifically request our PRO in Delhi to book this hotel for a nught's stay. The check in was hassle free and very quick. I got an excellent, very good spacious room, no 311. I did hear that the rooms are of numerous dimensions at this hotel. As I did a booking through my company, I may have got a good room. The staff were very good in their approach.

The corridors, room, toilet were spotlessly clean. The toiletory items were of good brand, but with very strong odour/ fragrance which made me read the details on the product packagings- only to realise that they were all from China ! ( The Auroma Therapy Or so ). The towels, bed linen were all fresh smelling and very clean as one could expect them to be in a good hotel. I found nothing to complain except the A/c leak. The main door had lot of space below through which outside air was gushing in continuously and the a/c was not very effective as a result.
The tea kettle was cute and good functionally as well. A very good assortment of teas/coffee was available.
The pickwick restaurant is really good. I did take rice and curries. Next day I took my breakfast as well at this place. I found that to be good with good choices.
Had sound sleep though there was a problem with A/c as stated already.
The check out was smooth and quick. When I asked for a copy of tariff card, the clerk told me he does not have one !! - that it is being revised ( upwards! )
I would certainly return to this hotel during my next visit to Delhi.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Ragh123
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Overall a good hotel in the heart of the city. Very conveniently located to all major land marks. This hotel would do little better with little bit of a facelift and a contemporary kind of a look. This place is frequented a lot by celiberities. I happened to meet Mahesh Manjreakar and few other guys on my last visit.

The Punjabi restaurant Bhaba sevres one of the best Punjabi food in Delhi. The food was just awesome and the overall setting of the restaurant really dhaba like.

Room Tip: Dont take the room on the ground floor.