“One of the best hotel stays I have ever had”

The Claridges New Delhi
Ranked #30 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Central London
“One of the best hotel stays I have ever had”
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I stayed at the Claridges in Delhi with my Indian friend - we were there for 5 nights. Old friends, catching up with each other. Sharing a room so that we could talk and talk. Our experience there completely exceeded my expectations. I have never been in a hotel where I have been made so welcome. Really caring attitude from the staff both room boys and reception. Lovely welcome in the Pickwick Restaurant and greeted with apparent pleasure and delight every time we went anywhere. The room was lovely and looked over trees and next door's lovely garden. It was a long way from Reception so I asked for one nearer as both my friend and I are elderly and challenged by walking long distances. Great efforts were made to change us to another room even though the hotel was full. In the end we preferred the room we had been alloctaed and stayed where we were. We managed the walk which seemed shorter once we got to know it. The room had very comfortable beds and the shower was the best I have ever been in - absolutely gorgeous with two sources of water - like a luxurious torrent. Always hot water, everywhere clean and sparkling. Such a lovely welcoming hotel. I would recommend it to anyone. Three years ago I stayed there just for two nights and since then it has been upgraded - I highly recommend it - wish I was back there now! In the sun - sitting in the garden or by the pool sipping a latte.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Midwifecf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
paris
Reviewed 17 February 2010

We stayed at Claridges in Jan 2010. We landed in the cold wintery night with the heaviest fog around delhi. Upon checkin staff was very courteous . Given a non smoking room but ashtray & match box was given on the first request without having to change the room. Room was clean with adequate amenities for two persons throughout stay. Bed was extermely comfortable with a very nice small red colour pillow which has the card hanging for pillow menu. VERY INNOVATIVE. Food was good at dhaba but waiting is an issue as the place is very small & always packed during dinner. Service is what makes claridges seprate from other big hotels in delhi which works like factories. Only issue which comes during the stay was the non availability of the pool area due to the private function . It should have been informed at the time of checkin. Love to come back & stay at Claridges.

• Liked — Service & Old World charm
  • Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank beehoney06
UK
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Stayed here twice, good 4* hotel. Very clean & good standard of service too. The staff are very courteous & attentive; good choice of resturants all good & great vodka bar. Facilities are also a good standard, spa services very good & the pool is lovely. I've stayed in a deluxe room & also a Club room & I would recommend upgrading to a Club room if you are staying a few nights as more space & better bathroom facilities with separate large shower too , cheaper to do directly with the hotel when you arrive, but deluxe room absolutley fine with mini bar, flat screen tv, etc, etc.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank gargoyletroll
bangladesh
Reviewed 9 February 2010

I really liked this hotel. Excellent check in with staff who were there for you and were polite and efficient. The rooms were very good, quiet and well equipped with a comfortable bed. The breakfast was good but they do suffer for space in the restaurant, my plat was cleared twice whilst up at the buffet! The signature Spanish restaurant prived excellent food and an good ambience. Other comments about the price of wine are true, but show me a 5* hotel where you aren't ripped off!
In all I recommend this to break from the boring corporate piles that we business travellers usually use. I enjoyed it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
sydney
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We spent 1 night arriving in after dark and in very heavy fog., then left early the next morning in very, very heavy fog, so I can't comment on the external buildings, or location etc. What I will say is that this hotel is expensive for what it is. Our room was small, and the bathroom was tired and old. We could only use the shower over the bathtub because the tap to fill the bathtub wasn't working. Even though our family requested rooms close to one another, they gave one of the grandmothers sharing with the 2 small children a room right on the other side of the hotel. Ok it was only for 1 night, so we let it go.
What was very strange was that at around 10.45pm our door bell rang. We were almost asleep at this stage too. It was some man offering my partner cigarettes and matches!!!
we don't smoke and certainly didn't ask for them. We made a complaint the next morning as we were checking out, but it was ignored. I think that the management should not allow these people into the hotel to disturb their guests. It is unacceptable and also a security issue.
We ate in the Sevilla restaurant at the hotel which had fantastic food, though at the price of the food you expect it to be fantastic. But extremely expensive alcohol.
At check-out our brother and sister in law were asked to pay for mini-bar consumption that they hadn't used. The woman insisted that there had been a cookie eaten, but our brother refused to pay because they didn't eat it. It all makes me think that the staff are helping themselves to items of food, then palming it off onto unsuspecting guests.
On our return to Delhi we stayed at the Hyatt Regency and it is hands down a winner, with excellent restaurants, and less expensive too. We certainly won't ever stay at the Claridges again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Fitzrovia
Reviewed 23 January 2010

First of all the staff are generally very attentive, if a bit OTT. I agree with others that the alcohol prices are extortinate but my main problem is the size of the room used for breakfast, being far too small and the chaos between passing waiters and guests - I had to share a table with no less than three separate individual travellers one morning, one after the other over around 40 minutes. The food however is good, but the standard coffee very very weak - order a strong cup or a cafeteire.

Room was OK, bed very very comfortable. Bathroom adequate, shower very good ( no bath offered )

WiFi was patchy and expensive. Lot of noise at night from staff moving items - poilshed floors in corridors outside rooms condusive to amplification of trolley wheels etc.,

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
pune
Reviewed 22 January 2010

This was my first experience with any hotel for wedding purpose and I must say that the pool side arrangement done for marriage purpose and dinner was excellent. The banquest manager was very humble and the food served was excellent.

• Liked — pool side arrangement for marriage
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)