“Over-rated”

The Claridges New Delhi
Ranked #35 of 736 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Our room was booked for us by a travel agent. Upon entering hotel, we were impressed with the decor of the lobby etc. However, we were shocked when we were led to our room which was located in what seemed like a second class wing of the hotel. The room looked like a shabby version of the pictures we saw on the hotel's website. Also, we had requested a second bed for a third person, and this was just dumped at the front of the room between the main bed and the bathroom. We had to move it to the side of the room ourselves. When moving a small couch to make room for this bed, we discovered a huge amount of dust underneath which went everywhere. Yuck.

The bathroom was also lacklustre. It was very dated, and the sliding door to it rocked forward and backward everytime we slid it shut. The shower, while large, had very poor drainage. I ended up using the hand-held shower because the water flow was lower and resulted in less standing water.

The Indian restaurant downstairs served tasty North Indian food, but it was ridiculously overpriced (US$100 for mineral water, 1 starter and 2 mains).

The breakfast buffet had a decent spread, but service was very slow. One morning I waited more than 30 minutes for pancakes.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,192)

Reviewed 21 January 2011

If I were going back to Delhi I would stay at a different hotel. We had problems with noise. We changed rooms. That didn't solve the problem, as the doors have about a 1inch gap from the marble floors. So every hall way conversation from other guests somehow got amplified into our room. I was so annoyed at 2 and 3 and 4 in the morning with the noise of other guests banging doors and going between rooms that I started complaining to management. I finally stuffed blankets around our door which help to muffle the noise. And there was an exhaust fan in the bathroom that couldn't be turned off. So it was a quite noisy stay in an otherwise lovely room. Restaurants were quite expensive. This hotel didn't meet my expectations.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I stayed here a couple of nights before I started a tour from anouther hotel. The hotel is not in a busy area so it was a good way to ease into the chaos that is delhi. It is near the museums and art gallery. Check in and out took a long time. There was one person attending to the check-in and out and at peak times there was a wait.
The rooms are comfortable and the pool is a nice place to recover from the jetlag or cool off from a hard days sight seeing.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Good location in the middle of New Delhi, not very far from all the main sights and is an oasis in the heart of Delhi.
We had two suites facing onto the car-park. Rooms were spacious, clean, nice bed linen and bathrooms. Breakfast were really nice, lots of choice and especially cooked to order eggs, pancakes as well as Indian fare.
We also ate in the Indian restaurant called Dhaba - has some nice curries although the butter chicken was disappointing and the atmosphere tends to be a bit claustrophobic - no windows, too many staff, tables too close together and too hot.
The pool area is pleasant to sit around, as is a nice grassed area to the front of the hotel to sit and have drinks. But don't order wine here - is incredibly expensive.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would go back.

Reviewed 8 January 2011

They constantly rip you off in any shape or form, they lie to you and completely take advantage of you whenever possible. They charge a miscellaneous tax that they can't even tell you what its for of $1200 rupies per night, they don't tell you this tell you're checking out. They told me that local phone calls were free from the room, then called me a liar and said that they never said that and charged a minimum of $100 rupies per call. They lied to me and told me that The Taj Mahal hotel was a 20 minute drive from their hotel and told me to take the hired car which is $2200 rupies. The Taj Mahal hotel is only a 5 minute walk from their hotel, they just wanted to charge for the outrageously expensive hotel car, the drive would have cost $50 rupies in a taxi. Then they don't even charge $2200 for the car, they actually charge you $2800 and then another luxury tax is added on top of that. The drivers lie to you and only take you to places where they receive commission, I wanted to go to Chandni Chowk, but the driver lied and told me it was closed due to cold weather. I thought it sound bogus and then he took me to a very expensive shop instead. I found out later that I'd been lied to and that it wasn't closed. On top of all of this, the electricity is constantly going out, during my 3 night stay it must have gone off 20 times. I didn't use the elevator for fear of getting trapped during a power outage. The pool and jacuzzi aren't heated either, so don't plan on using them if your staying here.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelinPh0t0grapher
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Our family of 6 spent one night in this hotel. It is a luxury hotel and the rooms are great but the bathrooms are small.

The staff have a bit of an "attitude"

The hotel is fine for a break from the madness of India but is a bit bland

Reviewed 27 December 2010

The Claridges rooms are spacious and offer a blend of old world charm and modern amenities. I loved the pillow menu and the numerous choices available. I was told that the mediterranean restaurant is fantastic although I did not get a chance to try it. The Dhaba had amazing north indian food and the kids traveling with us freaked out on the colorful pastries at the Ye Old Bakery

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family