“Not worth the money you will pay”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ashok

The Ashok
Ranked #163 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
Nairobi, Kenya
“Not worth the money you will pay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

Having enjoyed a hotel in Mumbai and then the radisson blu in Delhi from the website and pictures I had seen I thought I was in for a treat at the ashok. I arrived and landed hard back to reality. It is nothing what it appears to be but it photographs beautifully. The reception looks grand and is full of staff that don't really know what is going on. Check in was smooth and then I was taken to the room. Terrible. I clearly am not stayin in one of the refurbished rooms. The view out the window was of satellite dishes and lots of them. The taps in the bathrooms have seen better days and the wifi is exceptionally slow and old style. This hotel in its day might have and probably was magnificent but it is not any longer. They need to spend some money and bring it up to date. I mean all other hotels of 5 star standards the basics of wifi is log in with room no and surname AND its very good. Here u have a very long username and password that's have to get every day from the reception and if you run more than one wifi device you need to ask for more. Anyhow, went in search of the Chinese and the Japanese restaurant that is advertised and alas they no longer exist ! One of the key reasons I booked the hotel was the variety of restaurants. The shops are over priced and nothing special. The lunch was well below par and the service if you can get the attention of the staff as all 17 were standing in a line watching the cricket.
Yes I won't be returning to the hotel and I won't be recommending it. It's expensive and not worth the money. There are plenty others that are far better value and superior in standard.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank kckenya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

It was the place where I attended a conference, and stayed during this conference, and I must say, it was a pleasurable experience for me. Since the day of my arrival to the day of departure I was indulged into the hotel's great hospitality. Though it was hectic and the staff have to work really hard to maintain, yet they always gave an aura of reassurance during my stay.

Rooms were neat, and comfy, just what was required for me during my stay.

I hope you will have a nice time here..

Happy traveling..

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank As-Saba
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

i been to Ashok hotel delhi 1 years back as my flight is delayed so airlines booked this hotel.The Customer services is very rude to us and they are asking so there hospitality is bad. As per as rooms it seems they dont change bedsheets for a month as we seen many spots on bedsheets and dirty pillow covers.

I Never ever come back to this hotel in my future.and I warned to others Please be careful when you book this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 123FEROZE

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

Service is annoying: knocking on your door and walk straight up in your room putting pressure on choosing from the menu. Besides that Delhi is disgusting, this place is ok to stay. Close to the airport, easily reached by taxi.

• Stayed December 2012
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Ashok Hotel for 2nts in September, 2012. I stayed in one of the renovated rooms. It was lovely, however there were no face cloths, and no top sheets on the bed. Canadians, or North Americans do not want to be next to a comforter that hasn't been cleaned daily, as sheets are. It is not hygenic. You need to address this. Also the rooms near the front/night club..left me without sleep for 2 nts. Very loud. The staff was very attentive, the breakfast staff very helpful, dinner was excellent..I don't understand the food complaints. I hope to bring a group to this hotel Oct. 2013..I hope all goes well. Wifi. was non existant for my stay. All in all though a lovely hotel, despite poor bedding..get some sheets!

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room, not near the night club...disturbing
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Ottawa,Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

We had a conference in this hotel in October 2012. The organization of the conference was excellent; the services provided by the hotel met international standards and there was a great cultural show one evening. The food was excellent.

We hired a car from the hotel to tour the city. The cost was reasonable , the car clean and comfortable and the driver as crazy as any other driver in Delhi. The tour desk was helpful to suggest places to visit. They did not offer any group sightseeing tour, only a private hiring of a driver. So you had to choose your own itinerary and places to visit.

There are several good restaurants in the hotel, including a vegetarian one where the food is excellent. Unfortunately, oyu cannot charge your meals on the room, and they don't take credit card nor US dollars. So you have to pay cash in rupees.

They have a large number of shops that sell local handicrafts and fabrics. Strangely enough, there is no place where you can buy practical things like toothpaste for example.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MichaelOttawa_Canada
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

It's not the worst place I have ever stayed but the shine on the Ashok is wafer thin at times.

I stayed in what I think was a renovated room. Excellent bed, good pillows, working amenities and reasonable food tried to make the stay good, but management needs to look beyond the foyer to understand how a guest may feel.

The biggest beware I would provide to any occupant is to watch the room doors. This is an old building, so some things can be overlooked but hotel door rooms that self close should fully close, not snag on the latch. I was initially alerted when I realised in the middle of the night that there was too much light coming in around the door. A quick push fixed things but made me alert. I noticed that almost half of the doors on my floor were not latching properly as staff wandered in and out doing the cleaning.

The other issue is noise. The hotel has an active nightclub, and staying in a room overlooking the entry is absolute murder between midnight and about 4am. The exit strategy for night club patrons is to spill out, start and rev the car with the music fully up, then talk for around 30 minutes. There are plenty of staff around who must know how loud it is, so this appears to be part of the marketing strategy. Noise management is then perfecetd with the hall vaccuming strategy which starts at about 630-7am, killing off whatever other sleep you were hoping for.

My final issue would be the sheer number of staff. I know this is a government run hotel in India, but the sheer numbers of people hanging around the halls is creepy. I don't think I successfully made it out of my room and to the lift without being scrutinised once. While some might find this reassuring, I found myself worrying about my every movement.

This is a lovely building with some great assets, but desperately needs some professional attention both inside and out to get it near the rating they believe is warrented. There is no point wiping the pool benches, when the pool edges are caked in pidgeon poo.

Room Tip: NOT - NOT overlooking the arrival driveway or nightclub entrance.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business