“Could be better”
Review of The Ashok

The Ashok
Ranked #212 of 712 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 2 June 2013

The good stuff first: the room is spacious, the bed comfortable, and I enjoyed a nice wide view from the divan in the window - a good touch. The staff were friendly.
The less good stuff: The staff might have been friendly, but they weren't that efficient. It took several phone calls to get more hangers for the wardrobe (when will hotels realise that you need more than three hangers for a wardrobe?); the lights in the bathroom didn't work and took a while to be fixed. And - annoyingly - the electrics came on in the middle of the night a couple of times, so I was woken up by light and the whoosh of the air con. I reported this to the staff when I left, but they didn't seem that bothered.
The food in the restaurant was OK - ish.
I was staying as a guest of a conference, and for a hotel which in part depends on conference organisers, they could do better.
It would be tempting to say, 'what do you expect from a government-owned hotel?' So I will!

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have a good view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank MarcusWest
Ashok I, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Greetings from hotel The Ashok!!!

Thank you for your feedback and the time you have taken to share your experience with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially regarding places of improvement and there is no doubt that we can do better and that we can learn from your experience.

I have reviewed each of your comments and have shared your concerns with the departmental head for immediate corrective action.
I do look forward for an opportunity to serve you again!

There are newer reviews for The Ashok

Reviewed 1 June 2013

The memories that are still live in my mind of my last visit to the sprawling property of THE ASHOKA-New Delhi is the grandeur & magnificence of the Architecture.

What I liked is that they have kept the charm of the government cadre still alive & impeccable in spirit. You go there to soak in the slow pace & smell the flowers-which in today's world is like a therapy. The courteous staff, the most admired demeanor of the serving personnel won my heart.
The rooms were immaculate , spic n span , rather made me feel absolutely relaxed-truly a royal experience.The spa like experience rejuvenated me & revived my senses-great experience.cheers

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank vibha1981
Ashok I, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Dear Guest,
Greetings from The Ashok!
Thank you for sparing your valuable time & sharing your wonderful feedback. It is always our endeavor at Hotel Ashok to offer an exquisite experience to our guests.

I am glad to know that your stay throughout was comfortable with us. Your kind words regarding the room, hotel’s interior, spa landscaping & other allied services are highly appreciated.

I do hope that you have the occasion to visit us again and we assure you of our best service and attention at all times.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I visited this hotel & had dinner in Frontier restaurant, & I must say that food was really very awesome, especially the dal makhani. There are couple of more restaurants available in the hotel like Darbar, Coffee shop, F bar & all of them were having really very nice interiors. I also requested the reception staff to show me some rooms, & I must say that they had newly renovated rooms which are very spacious & comfortable to stay.

Will recommend this hotel to my friends when they will visit Delhi next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gaurav K
Ashok I, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Greetings from hotel The Ashok!!!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and I am delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay at hotel The Ashok, New Delhi Here, we value our guests and work towards providing the best services at all times to ensure a warm, comfortable and memorable stay.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

I look forward to welcome you again!!!

Warm Regards,

Goutam Chatterjee.
Goutamchatterjee@theashokgroup.com
General Manager.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Ashok Hotel is exactly what you'd expect from aluxury city hotel with
Excellent rooms with all the amenities and class facilities .Hospitable,helpful and polite staff.
It's beautifully located in nice area with Fabulous architecture, nice food and service is great as i heard.
It's value for money hotel and I'll strongly recommend this hotel to every category of traveler like business,friends, family,couple.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank TripUserN
Goutam C, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2013

Greetings from hotel The Ashok!!!

Thank you for choosing The Ashok, New Delhi & giving us an opportunity to serve you. Here, we value our guests and work towards providing the best services at all times to ensure a warm, comfortable and memorable stay.

I am pleased to note that your experience at The Ashok was beyond your expectations & you liked the hotel & its services.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Needless to say that the rooms and facility are excellent. But most of all there is so much staff that cares fro you at any time that you Forget about having to organise your own life - all is thought of and for you in advance. Excellent and very nice staff - discreet but most friendly
It was the best. Cleanliness and customer service was excellent. We splashed out at Amatra Pool and also took a massage, GYM was outstanding and we also dined in at the Oudh restaurant, it is worth it. last bt not the least .....the interiors are very well worked out. Bingo!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank 232sunny
Goutam C, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

Greetings from hotel The Ashok!!!

Let me take the pleasure to thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you.

I am pleased to learn that your time with us was impacted by the personalized attention of our team members & you had a comfortable stay throughout. I am also delighted to know that you enjoyed dining at one of our fine dining & award winning restaurants -“Oudh”.

Your kind words of appreciation about the services & facilities are encouraging & inspiring for us in the quest of striving for excellence.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again!

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed there for 7 days

It is in good location , nice food , clean all the time , quiet , great rooms , free Wi Fi

You can find drivers near the hotel to arrange any trips

it is slightly considered expensive according to the service

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank DrHeshamReda
Goutam C, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Ashok!!!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at The Ashok, New Delhi. , Here, we value all our guests and work towards providing the best services at all times to ensure a warm, comfortable and memorable stay.

Your appreciative comments have been shared with our team and are they are delighted to hear the same.

Thank you once again and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Gautam Chatterjee,
General Manager.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

I spent three nights at the Ashok in conjunction with a conference being held there. I was aware that the hotel was old and had a heritage of government management, so was ready for some disappointment.

First the good bits: The rooms are large and the beds comfortable. The lobby and conference centre are modern and impressive. Some of the restaurants are very good - notably The Oudh and Sagar Ratna. The spa is excellent, though it is unrelated to the hotel and you can't put the charges on your hotel bill. The hotel is not expensive.

However, the good bits were offset by a number of faults. In the room, small things like bathrobes are missing. The minibar holds only water, and there are just four clothes hangers in the closet. (Trivial, I know, but these things matter when you're there for several days.) Delivery of clean towels was random, and the shower was cold more often than not. The big surprise, though, was that the lights kept coming on in the middle of the night, startling me awake. I put it down to the fact that they are on dimmer switches, not on/off switches, and Delhi's frequent brief power cuts probably resets them to high. Doesn't make for a restful night.

Apart from the lobby and conference centre, the public areas of the hotel are dated and not totally clean. The lifts should have been retired - or at least recarpeted - twenty years ago.

But the biggest disappointment was the service. I have experienced very, very good service in a number of hotels in Delhi. The Ashok is staffed by people who seem to resent being there. They seldom smile, and their body language says that you aren't a customer but a nuisance. In the coffee shop, used dishes and cutlery were not cleared away promptly, and food debris on the floor was not swept up. The travel consultant, who arranges taxis, could barely be bothered to look up from his phone when I approached. A number of the desk staff were surly and abrupt.

There are always exceptions to the rule, and there were some lovely staff at the Ashok. But overall, it would be helpful if they could be sent to the same training course the staff at the Taj and ITC hotels go to.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Gwen1217
Goutam C, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Greetings from hotel The Ashok!!!

At the outset please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us. I am sorry to learn that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. Your kind words regarding rooms, modern lobby, impressive conference halls, spa, our award winning restaurant Oudh & Sagar Ratt are highly inspiring for us.

I have reviewed each of your comments and have taken an appropriate action to resolve each issue you reported.

May I request you to accept our sincere apologies & let this experience not mar the impression of the hotel, as it is our earnest endeavour to provide you with the highest level of service and to ensure that your stay with us is truly most enjoyable.

Do let me know when you plan to visit us again, as I will be delighted to look after all aspects of your stay personally.

goutamchatterjee@theashok.com