“!!! AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH !!!”

Ranked #182 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“!!! AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH !!!”
Reviewed 3 August 2008

We have never stayed in such a filthy, crumbling, insect ridden, mold covered, noisy, smelly establishment in my life - and wouldn't wish anyone else to!! Had we wished to experience such a place, we would have booked into a B&B in the bazaar. On second thoughts, that would probably have been a nicer place to stay!!!

The windows didn't fit properly so you had the noise and the smell of the traffic. We slept on top of the covers because of the state of the bed linen and would not walk on the carpets in bare feet. As for the bathroom - we washed in the sink rather than use the shower/bath.

Doors to service areas/laundry were left open and you could see and smell the mold growing on the walls. Quite nauseating - it just made our skin itch!!

One night was one night too much but as we'd arrived at 10pm, we didn't have the energy to look elsewhere!

For a government run hotel, it was an absolute disgrace. The place ought to be knocked down as it is a health hazard. Even if this was the only starred hotel left in New Delhi, we would not stay here again. We would take the B&B in the bazaar any day of the week!!

• Liked — ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank TRINIDAD-A-GO-GO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
dubai
Reviewed 2 May 2008

Room rates in Delhi are surely overpriced as there is such a dearth of world-class hotel accommodation. In such a scenario, the Ashoka Hotel is one of the most reasonably priced 5-star accommodation available as it is still government owned.

The acommodation is good and the service even better. Though many years old, the hotel has good rooms that are well appointed and reasonably big.

Will surely use this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank naved22
boston
Reviewed 18 March 2008

I would advise you to stay away from this hotel. I found that my hair dryer would not work, nor my television, not the desk light nor the floor light, and some of the electrical sockets. As I discovered them, most of these necessitated a visit from staff - at first I tipped those who fixed them, but then decided maybe this was a racket to get more tips. I was also suspicious about the fact that they only turned down the beds and left in fresh water AFTER I had gone to my room in the evening, no matter how late I returned - and waited around for a tip. They stopped turning down the bed after two days when i left them tipless for this. The shower curtains were stained, as was the armchair - and i found dirty slippers with lots of dust under my bed. When my message light showed, I discovered that the message key did not work, the first person I asked to help me on this never came back to me on it. Eventually i found another staff person who managed to get my messages, through an unknown code which he did not give to me - there were no instructions on how to access these messages anywhere in the room. The food (which tasted quite good, or at least the indian style food) was very expensive - more than the price for a similar meal back in the U.S. Service however was terrible - we waited 15/20 mins for some water to be brought to us. The use of wireless access cost $25 a day. The cost per night for this hotel is outrageous for a Delhi hotel - $250 a day - best go elsewhere.

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank fitzpatrickBoston

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

San Francisco
Reviewed 3 March 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a conference at the end of February. It's a dump. Our room hadn't been vacuumed in ages, there was hair everywhere and orange pits on the bathroom floor, and our room (and a colleague's) had cockroaches.

We're seasoned travelers and have stayed in dodgy places before, but for $250/night (the conference rate), we expected to at least be able to walk barefoot from shower to suitcase without accumulating someone else's hair and food on our feet. I don't know what the cleaning staff does there, besides barge into your room to deliver unnecessary and unrequested items (matches, extra bottles of water when you already have three) in the hope of getting a tip.

In addition, the elevators shorted out on us a couple of times, and our electronic door-key receiver thing took three or four tries to unlock. The (consistently rude) hotel staff gave me the key to someone else's room and then acted like I'd done something sneaky to get it, and they lectured my husband on the proper insertion of the key card when he tried to get a replacement for his non-functional key.

Conference meals were held in a courtyard area with thin carpeting laid over a mystery substrate that was apparently full of rocks. I saw many conference-goers trip and spill their food. (No great loss, as the food sucked, but dangerous all the same.)

To top it all off, the lobby is full of carpet and trinket shops, so if you haven't already grown sick of hearing "madam, take a glance, no need to buy, just look," then you're sure to get your fill on your way to the elevators.

Try hard to stay away from the Ashok.

• Liked — Checking out!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Lunate
Norfolk, UK
Reviewed 23 February 2008

Hayes & Jarvis "upgraded" us to the Ashok from the Oberoi Maidens for the first 3 nights of our India tour. We read the reviews and hoped it would not be as bad as reported, but unfortunately it was. Our rooms were dirty, especially the bathrooms which looked as thougth they had not been cleaned properly for years. You could hardly see in the mirror and the last guest's rubbish was still in the bins. It was very difficult to get rid of our creepy room "boy" who seemed to appear for no apparent reason every time we went to our rooms. My mother, particularly, was rather unnerved as she was sleeping alone and dreaded him just walking in - in the end she had to be quite rude to him, which is not her nature at all, and after that we hardly saw him, which was quite a relief.

The restaurant was OK but a long walk along a miserable corridor from the main part of the hotel. We were not keen on the buffet dinner but the a la carte meals we had were acceptable and not bad value for money.

The good news is that they do seem to be in the process of refurbishing the hotel and the new parts, like the "Island" restaurant and the business centre are very nice. I think it will one day be restored to its former glory but they also need to train the staff to do something other than look for tips.

• Liked — The lobby area & business centre were quite nice
  • Disliked — The filthy rooms and staff constantly wanting tips for doing nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank plamingos
Singapore
Reviewed 18 February 2008

Delhi is suffering from an accute hotel room shortage. The result is the Ashok at USD400 a night for an ordinary hotel room, ordinary tired property with ordinary to below average service. The room is clean, the bed comfortable and the water hot but for USD400 you want a little bang for your buck.
The fridge was faulty. TV reception unwatchable despite three visits by repairman. Mod cons like the "wireless" internet served up a strength that redlined at least once a minute making transfers of longer documents virtually impossible (again technicians could not help).
Request for ice through room service (no machine or alternative available on the executive floor) was accompanied by high expectations for a tip and on one occassion unannounced entry when I left the door ajar accidently (ie did not knock before entering).
Seriously, there are some great hotels in Delhi (I like The Park) - The Ashok is not one of them

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staying
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank OzAbroadView
London, UK
Reviewed 20 November 2007

Overrpiced - London prices for poor quality rooms and miserable service. The lowest point was when the waiter in the lobby lounge wiped the tea cups with his finger, and later washed our cups behind the desk with water from a mineral water bottle, from which he was also drinking. The same waiter also had poured us two cups of tea, then whisked the teapot away to finish the rest of the tea with his colleague. Do not stay there!

• Stayed November 2007, travelled on business