The Ashok
Hotels.com
US$115
US$146
US$122
Taj Mahal Hotel(New Delhi)
US$217
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
The Leela Palace New Delhi(New Delhi)
US$272
US$34
US$88
US$69
Agoda.com
All reviewsfrontier restauranthuge hotellobby managergrand hotelrooms are bigroom service iscomfortable stayoudhembassiesambience
Reviewed 20 November 2006

My husband & I were booked into the Ashok for many days by his company after another hotel in Delhi fell through. After changing rooms once (the first had twin beds & a damp carpet reeking of insecticides) we wound up with what was probably one of the best rooms in the hotel. Newly renovated, it had laminate wood floors, brand-new bedding, and was generally bright & cheery. HOWEVER, the majority of my husband's colleagues were not so lucky. Their rooms were generally grubby and threadbare. Several reported cockroaches in their rooms, one had bed-bugs, and several had rooms so dirty they had to have housekeeping scrub them twice (and these are generally not picky people). The hotel is also ridiculously noisy. NONE of us slept well because a series of megaphones for a taxi stand outside go on ALL NIGHT LONG broadcasting traffic instructions and call-ups for cabs. It was like trying to sleep in an auction house or an air-traffic controller's room. Sounds of honking outside, the airconditioning vents, and the pounding nightclub downstairs only compounded the problem.
What's more, the hotel does stink: of must and exterminator's chemicals. The stench was so bad that before we switched rooms, my husband couldn't sleep because the smell kept him awake, and by the end of our stay, our clothes were saturated with it.
Another travesty is the service. Except for the Coffee Shop staff and a smattering of housekeepers, the service ranged from indifferent to rude. When I went to the travel desk to arrange a half-day sightseeing tour, the man there ignored me for five minutes while he chatted on the phone, then told me dismissively, "I'm a very busy man right now. I don't have any cars available. Come back some other time." When several of my husband's colleagues checked out, the reception staff tried to charge them a higher rate than had been contracted. It was simply outrageous.
The Ashok has some great restaurants, an excellent spa, and bags of potential. But the government has got to stop pretending this is a five-star hotel. Probably, it should get out of the hotel business all together. In the hands of a private interest and with some SERIOUS renovations and overhauling the Ashok could live up to the delusions of grandeur currently pictured on its website. But right now, it's an out-of-the-way, run-down, noisy, unappealing, overpriced wreck of a place.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank aBroadAbroad
Reviewed 31 October 2006

As a frequent traveller to Dehli, without a doubt my preferred hotel is The Imperial, or, at the other end of the spectrum, The Park. However, given the lack of rooms in the city I was forced to stay at The Ashok for my last business trip. A SHOCK certainly sums it up! The government run hotel could be a splendid example of traditional Indian grandeur, as its website claims. Sadly, it is not. I checked in late at around 11pm and was greeted by surly receptionists who seemed more interested in getting an imprint of my credit card (for Rs.10,000 - not cheap) than anything else. I was shown to my room by a bellboy so insistent on carrying my one small bag, despite my resistence, that he actually tried grabbing it from me. When I did get to my room, I was mortified. Shabby implies chic nowadays, but this was just shabby. Dirty fingerprinted TV, light switches, toilet seat; tarnished mirrors; dirty cutlery laying around; and the piece de resistance - dark hairs on the pilled pillows and sheets of each of the twin beds. It took three phone calls and a visit by housekeeping to convince them that I didn't want the room, nor did I want to wait for sheets changing, I just wanted to move. The second room seemed more promising, with a fruit basket (and clean knife) but on closer inspection, the beds again were hairy and unappealling. I slept with a pashmina as a pillow and had a terrible night's sleep, especially as after midnight housekeeping called to see if the room was okay; on advising them no, but I cut my losses, they didn't seem to know how to handle it other than saying that the general manager would make it up to me in the morning. Didn't hang around to see what that may involve, but suffice to say, if you have any other choice, don't stay here. What has the potential to be a wonderfully equipped five-star hotel with spacious rooms and a warren of shops and restaurants turned out to be a disappointingly dirty stay in Delhi.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank Bangalore_Bunny
Reviewed 29 October 2006

This has got to be the worst hotel ever. The rooms are old and run down. There is a stink in the hallway and staff are generally not very helpful. The only good things are the staff in the restaurant and the breakfast buffet. If you are staying in india, spend a bit more money and stay somewhere else. It cost us $220 a night which is a complete rip off. We were really looking forward to getting out of there. The sheets were dirty and we asked them to change it. Noticed the next day the sheets were the same but changed towards the end of the bed. They don't change your sheets everyday. The electricity cords are dodgy too. It is a gross place to stay and i would avoid it...maybe back in the 60's it was good but not now..sorry to stay but it is the truth..yuk!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank natnat21
Reviewed 24 September 2006

Lesson learned: Never stay at a government-run hotel. The Ashok is a tired, grimy, grubby hotel. The rooms are dirty and dated, the service is surly and unatentive. I couldn't beleive this hotel was given a 5-star rating....until I found out that it was government-run/owned....The Taj hotels (Taj Mahal and Taj Palace) are FAR more pleasant at around the same price.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank TonySh
Reviewed 24 September 2006

I can't believe how bad this hotel has gotten. I originally was here in the early 80s when it was one of the best hotels in Delhi. With the exception of cable TV, I don't think the rooms have been updated since then. The beds are uncomfortable, the hot water is almost non existent, the paint is peeling , the internet service is one of the worst I have had in India and to top it off the food is awful at best and expensive. The sad thing is I originally was excited to be able to stay here after so many years. Between the lousy food, the crappy rooms and the creepy guys (security & maids) in the hallways - this is one hotel to avoid.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business