Hotel Ajanta
The Leela Palace New Delhi(New Delhi)
US$290
US$71
US$180
US$164
Priceline
The Lalit New Delhi(New Delhi)
US$138
US$108
2,054 results
All reviewsnew delhi railway stationfamily roomarakashan roadpaharganj areaconnaught placebudget hoteltravel deskbuffet breakfastcomfortable staydecent hotelroom service isdriverindiaairportforeignersoperativemr
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a few days last year on a vacation. The first thing that strikes one is the locality - an area near New Delhi station. Like most localities near railway stations in India, this was no exception - broken and narrow roads, filth, eating places and so on. So as we entered the lane in which the property is situated after a long flight, I kept wondering if the pictures posted on the hotel's web-site were true. But they were, and once inside the hotel, it is perhaps not difficult to leave the street behind.

They were supposed to arrange for a complementary airport pick-up. There was a little confusion on this - the pick-up wasn't there when we landed, and I had call up the hotel to confirm that they had indeed sent a vehicle. It appeared that they had sent it a little late and it got caught in traffic. But it did arrive in another twenty minutes or so.

The room was a suite - it was more like one large hall - two rooms with the wall removed in between. Two large king size beds, and some other furniture, a sort of private balcony. I say sort of because there was partition that separated it from the rest of the verandah. The balcony was not really usable because the cane furniture had paint coming off and there was some repair work that was going on in the corridor. Given the size of the room, we had plenty of space, which we needed with children. Our room was on the top floor, and there was some renovation being done on the corridors - so there was a lot of dirt and workmen all over.

A big advantage of this place is the short distance from New Delhi station (useful if we have to catch an early morning train to say Agra). Connaught Place is just a couple of kilometers away, though one has to depend on auto-rickshaws (and they typically charge Rupees 50-60 for the distance from tourists, which is way above what locals would probably pay). But the proximity helps.

One odd thing that stood out was that after about two days, as we returned to the hotel one evening, the front office staff handed me a chit of paper showing that I had crossed their "safe" limit. This meant that I had clear that amount immediately (which had probably come to around Rs. 10,000 by that time). This was strange because I wasn't going to run away without paying, and even if I did, I had given my credit card number during reservation. So they did have ways and means to recover the amount if I ran away without paying! I am not sure of the rationale for this policy. But on the positive side, we had left behind some clothes when we checked out to catch an early morning flight. They took the trouble of immediately calling me up and informing this, so that we could pick it up later.

The staff was really helpful, and the serving boys were quite friendly. The rooms were cleaned and maintained well during our stay. To give a specific example, we had left some clothes on the balcony one of the day. It had drizzled in the afternoon. But when we returned in the evening, we found that someone had taken the trouble of taking the clothes from the balcony and kept them in the room.

So I think that the hotel is good value for money. Most important (and I think this is really important in Delhi), we felt safe inside the hotel, largely I think due to the staff. At the price point (and we got a discount because of the number of days we had reserved), it was certainly worth it. Would certainly consider this hotel if we are in Delhi again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Booked a suite for a 3 night stay in Delhi. Friendly, helpful staff, room comfortable although a little small for a suite. More of a room with two double beds. The room was also based somewhere in the middle of the building and had no windows (a little bit claustrophobic) also worried about the lack of escape routes should there be a fire. But, this is India! Located on a busy backstreet, north of Connaught Circus, the area is full of budget hotels of varying quality. I think the Ajanta is one of the better ones. The food was good with a restaurant on the ground floor as well as a rooftop eating area. "Secret" beer is available if you ask for it upstairs, but has to be paid for separately.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2013

It was a business meeting for two days. Myself along with my friend stayed with the Late Check out facility without pinching our pockets. Rooms are clean and neat. Staff are very cordial and we did not face any problem while check in or check out. Room service is fine and the dining facilities. Good place to stay.

Room Tip: Its a value for money. nearer to the station
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sivarama
HotelAjantaDelhi, Manager at Hotel Ajanta, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Expedia Insider‘s Select 2012 & Agoda gold circle award winning Ajanta Hotel for your stay in New Delhi.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

The Hotel Ajanta Team

Reviewed 1 February 2013

I had an unexpected change of plans, and quickly booked the Ajanta hotel sight unseen! I was arriving on a late flight, and the flight was also late! As soon as I got off the plane the lovely Nepalese driver phoned me, then greeted me at the exit. He seemed nonplussed at having had to wait a full hour. Upon arrival, the entire staff was warm and helpful. They gave me the choice of two rooms, I took the superb upgraded room (2300 rupees) and immediately decided that I would stay an extra night. The following morning the staff helped me with a difficult train ticket. Following their suggestion I waltzed over to the train station and got the only remaining seat on my desired train. The whole process was fast and efficient. The staff then gave me very accurate advise about how to do what I wanted to do that day. Delhi is a big city, but the Ajanta hotel and staff make you feel so very welcome and cared for!

Room Tip: Ask to see several and then chose what suits you best!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank joaninindia

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you found our services and efficiency up to the highest standard. It is indeed a pleasure to read the acknowledgement about the staff and services.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

The Hotel Ajanta Team

Reviewed 30 January 2013

I booked a few nights at this hotel during my first trip to India, and thought I would get a decent place (safe, clean and quiet) to start my trip. It was one of my worst hotel experiences in India. The hotel people tried to sell me different types of very expensive package tours using "not safe for a single woman to travel in India" as a reason, telling me that I shouldn't go out of the hotel alone even during the day time (I arrived at the height of gang-rape protest in New Delhi). I was very tired when I first arrived the hotel, and just wanted to go to my room. Instead, when I asked for my room key repeatedly, I was told to have a cup of masala tea, and to relax while they tried to tell me different tours they offered.

Also, the room was very noisy - I had a room on the second floor. You can hear people talking, staff walking around in the hallway all night long. I also had to argue with them about the free airport pickup which turned out not to be free. They initially made me pay for the pickup even I already paid for it when booking for the hotel. Eventually, they made me pay for the parking.

I have no idea why this hotel gets such high rating. I picked it initially based on the rating on this site.

Room Tip: If you want to stay in the area, I will choose a hotel on the Main Bazaar. There are plenty of hotels there wich offer much better value. I stayed at a brand new hotel when I returned to Delhi at the end of my trip for 1/3 of the price and had a much more enjoyable experience.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank The_Road_Less_Travel
HotelAjantaDelhi, Manager at Hotel Ajanta, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Dear Guest,

We are sorry that you had problems with your stay. We are an award winning company, established since 30 years. Our tour plans are cost effective, time saving and importantly suggestive in nature.

It seems this was a case of overreach by our staff, albeit with an intention of helping you. We have taken a note of it and shall take corrective measures.

Free pick up is offered to few booking agents only. Upon your giving us the voucher, we charged you for parking only.

Thank you.