“Stay Away!”

Ranked #62 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Australia, Melbourne
“Stay Away!”
Reviewed 4 November 2008

My email correspondence with this hotel should have been enough warning to stay away however I persisted and put it down to lack of English communication. Upon check in we were requested to go into a room which can only be described as a customs integration office. After this lengthy process we were advised that our room was available, numerous times I asked if the room type was the presidential suite that I had paid for before arriving and the check in lady advise 'yes this room type is the one you have booked'. Upon arriving in the room and further questioning of the front office staff it was apparent that we were not given the room type requested however given one that was three or four times a lower standard. It was also very apparent that if we did not question the matter that the hotel staff was happy for us to stay in the lower room type without refunding us the difference. After a lengthy discussion at the front desk the following day, the check out person reluctantly refunded us what was rightfully ours.
During our stay we found the hotel staff to all be very unhelpful and rude. The lack of communication within the front desk was very annoyning having to report the same thing to three different people. The only thing going for this hotel was the friendly driver that greeted us at the airport. If staying in Delhi I would not recommend to stay at this hotel. There are numerous other hotels along the same road that be suitable. The rooms do not look at all like the ones displayed on the internet.

• Liked — Airport pick up
  • Disliked — Staff and rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sannge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 September 2008

Ok so this is a few years ago, but still... I booked the Hotel Ajanta for my first trip to India. I figured out myself how to get there, having read up on the various taxi scams going on at Delhi Airport!

The hotel itself isn't bad. The rooms are not as clean as they can be, but whatever. My problems began when I told the inhouse travel-agent that I wanted to see Rajastan. They sold me a 7-day trip with driver etc. etc. etc.

Needless to say, it was a complete disaster, and after the first day I demanded to be returned to Delhi, and I got back to the hotel I demanded my money back. After some serious arguing, they caved and refunded me. So that was good.

After a second terrible experience with an organised tour (with another agency) I steered clear of tour agencies for the rest of my trip.

All in all, it's an ok place to stay, they're fairly honest, fairly clean, but quite expensive (700rp a night). For the rest of my time in India I never spent more than 400rp a night for a room.

• Liked — Refunded
  • Disliked — Pushy inhouse travel agents
  • Stayed May 2005, travelled solo
5 Thank sean.casaidhe

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Canada
Reviewed 8 September 2008

My buddy from L.A recommedned me. I came to stay here with my friends. Awesome stay. Great staff and must try out the "BUTTER CHICKEN, DAAL MAKHANI (Lentils).5 Mins from Conaught Place and late night pick ups available from airport. Above all we felt very safe and comfortable. Checkout the newly renovated rooms.

• Liked — Safe and comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank gavp1
Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2008

Being an avid traveller I have travelled all over the world and have stayed in hotels big and small. Staying at Ajanta was a very pleasent experience - made my trip more comfortable and memorable. Location is excellent and ameneties are at par with most botique hotels around the world. However the best part was their customer service. They took care of me and my family and made us feel at home. What better can you ask when you are in a non-familiar environment with kids. Friendly, trustworthy and eager to serve staff - man, I will definately go back there and will highly reccomend it to all my fellow travellers.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank KamalAhuja
Sydney
Reviewed 1 September 2008

It's really the best hotel you can get at an affordable price, good service & at a convenient location. Kudos!

• Liked — Price, Service, Convenience
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tani_Kay
Singapore
Reviewed 1 September 2008

The hotel is run by genuine, warm and caring folks who actually welcome you as more than a guest. At Hotel Ajanta, you're family. Leaving you wanting for nothing, the management and staff have the unique ability to satisfy even the unexpressed needs of their guests. Highly recommended place.

• Liked — The staff and management
  • Disliked — It was all perfect. Nothing negative
  • Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
1 Thank WALL-E-EVE
london
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We were constantly arguing with this cheating hotel. It ruined our holiday and cheated us out of money. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

On the first day it took 6 hours to check in on a pre-booked room. The room had cockroaches and they changed our room but it was missing a bed. It then took 2 hours to get the bed. They also accused us of not paying despite having a receipt and they tried to make us pay twice.

As soon as you arrive they make you see the tourist lady, a lying cheat. DO NOT buy trips from her. She sold us trips which were not possible and a car we couldn’t use due to Independance Day. She tried to sell us trips totalling 20, 000 rupees (£250). Thank god we took the cheaper option. She knew the trips and the use of the car were not possible but she sold us the trips, with no conscience, to make money. She then wouldn’t give us our money back. She also constantly lied when we were trying to sort things out and constantly changed her story. She was not sorry at all for her actions. I have never met a lady as bad as this lady in my life.

There are a lot of hotels in Delhi to stay in and this is not one I would recommend to my worst enemy.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The way they constantly tried to cheat us
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family