“Better than the street; good if desperate.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Ajanta

Hotel Ajanta
Ranked #60 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
Frederiksberg, Denmark
“Better than the street; good if desperate.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2008

Needed a place for 10 hours between flights (overnight).
Booked it as they had a good website (with OBVIOUSLY carefully selected angles of photos). We were exhausted and were shown a bad room in some mildew corner of the hotel. No windows, basic bathroom, sterile vibe. So, went to see another. And another. Al the same bad boring feeling. Probably worth about 7-8$ a night if not for AC. But really just a very dark place with a nice (and far too busy reception with rather dodgy people). I you have taste and are with a lady, forget about this place for anything more than one emergency night.

• Liked — Free airport pickup
  • Disliked — The fact the driver wanted 3$ for turning on AC. That says everything.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SuitcasedSoul_MGray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Taos, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2008

Hotel Ajanta was ok with us. After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, my wife and I were apprehensive about staying here. Well, the airport pickup went without a hitch. They claim to be close to the airport, but are more like central Delhi, about 40 minutes from the airport. The neighborhood is the real Delhi, lots of interesting stuff going on in the street. We even got to watch a performance of the Ramayana in a small park adjacent to the hotel. Staff was friendly, but we didn't book anything through the hotel. You can avoid that kind of pressure by staying on a night-to-night basis. Our Superior room was a little small but quite clean by Indian hotel standards. In retrospect, the bad reviews on this site reflect more about Indian hotels in general than Ajanta specifically. We only stayed one night as a layover and this was fine, we got a little taste of Delhi with no problems. If you’re staying for a week a more in Delhi, it might be fun to treat yourself to a fancier place for a couple nights. But considering some of the other possibilites for Delhi hotels, Ajanta is more than adequate.

• Liked — Taste of the real Delhi
  • Disliked — No beer in the restauant
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Bristol, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2008

We have been coming to India (so in and out of Delhi) continuously over the last 10 years and now we do business out of Delhi. Having tried the very cheap (100 rupees) end of hotels and the very expensive (£50 a night) we have settled very nicely in the middle with Ajanta. We have never experienced anything other than friendly and polite service, clean rooms, excellent food in the restaurant and all our business contacts are impressed with standards too when they visit for meetings. So we give it the definite thumbs up and will continue to use as our Delhi base without hesitation. Nicholas and Laura Barwick, UK

• Liked — Location, friendliness, restaurant
  • Disliked — rooms are basic - there are no frills or atmosphere to the rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
Australia, Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2008

My email correspondence with this hotel should have been enough warning to stay away however I persisted and put it down to lack of English communication. Upon check in we were requested to go into a room which can only be described as a customs integration office. After this lengthy process we were advised that our room was available, numerous times I asked if the room type was the presidential suite that I had paid for before arriving and the check in lady advise 'yes this room type is the one you have booked'. Upon arriving in the room and further questioning of the front office staff it was apparent that we were not given the room type requested however given one that was three or four times a lower standard. It was also very apparent that if we did not question the matter that the hotel staff was happy for us to stay in the lower room type without refunding us the difference. After a lengthy discussion at the front desk the following day, the check out person reluctantly refunded us what was rightfully ours.
During our stay we found the hotel staff to all be very unhelpful and rude. The lack of communication within the front desk was very annoyning having to report the same thing to three different people. The only thing going for this hotel was the friendly driver that greeted us at the airport. If staying in Delhi I would not recommend to stay at this hotel. There are numerous other hotels along the same road that be suitable. The rooms do not look at all like the ones displayed on the internet.

• Liked — Airport pick up
  • Disliked — Staff and rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sannge

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

Ok so this is a few years ago, but still... I booked the Hotel Ajanta for my first trip to India. I figured out myself how to get there, having read up on the various taxi scams going on at Delhi Airport!

The hotel itself isn't bad. The rooms are not as clean as they can be, but whatever. My problems began when I told the inhouse travel-agent that I wanted to see Rajastan. They sold me a 7-day trip with driver etc. etc. etc.

Needless to say, it was a complete disaster, and after the first day I demanded to be returned to Delhi, and I got back to the hotel I demanded my money back. After some serious arguing, they caved and refunded me. So that was good.

After a second terrible experience with an organised tour (with another agency) I steered clear of tour agencies for the rest of my trip.

All in all, it's an ok place to stay, they're fairly honest, fairly clean, but quite expensive (700rp a night). For the rest of my time in India I never spent more than 400rp a night for a room.

• Liked — Refunded
  • Disliked — Pushy inhouse travel agents
  • Stayed May 2005, travelled solo
5 Thank sean.casaidhe
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2008

My buddy from L.A recommedned me. I came to stay here with my friends. Awesome stay. Great staff and must try out the "BUTTER CHICKEN, DAAL MAKHANI (Lentils).5 Mins from Conaught Place and late night pick ups available from airport. Above all we felt very safe and comfortable. Checkout the newly renovated rooms.

• Liked — Safe and comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank gavp1
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2008

Being an avid traveller I have travelled all over the world and have stayed in hotels big and small. Staying at Ajanta was a very pleasent experience - made my trip more comfortable and memorable. Location is excellent and ameneties are at par with most botique hotels around the world. However the best part was their customer service. They took care of me and my family and made us feel at home. What better can you ask when you are in a non-familiar environment with kids. Friendly, trustworthy and eager to serve staff - man, I will definately go back there and will highly reccomend it to all my fellow travellers.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family