“A pleasant eco-hotel in Delhi”

The Uppal Hotel - an Ecotel Hotel
Ranked #117 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Vlodrop, The Netherlands
“A pleasant eco-hotel in Delhi”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I recently stayed here for the first time and it already feels like my home-away-from-home. The ambiance is refined but low-key. The staff are friendly and accommodating; they seemed to understand our needs and went out of their way to be helpful. For example, we left for the airport having forgotten to bring along the special vegetarian lunch their restaurant cooked and packed up for us. Just as we were deciding whether there was time to go back, their manager called the driver and instructed him to drop us at the airport to check in , then quickly zoom back to the hotel to get the lunch and bring it to us just in time. The only drawback is that the hotel hosts a wedding on their spacious grounds every night during the November-December wedding season - those weddings tend to be loud and last until midnight.

Room Tip: Ask to be housed on the courtyard during the wedding season - this will minimize the possibility of...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Washington DC
Reviewed 14 December 2012

As others have noted, the hotel is unable to offer any quiet rooms. I tried three. In two, noise from a wedding was blasting. The third, though away from the wedding, faced the airport and the plane noise was quite loud. I finally gave up...being too exhausted to move again..and agreed to stay in the room.
Additional issues:
- when I checked in, the receptionist insisted I had a reservation for 2 nights, and said if I wanted to depart early (my planned date of departure), I would have to pay the cancellation fee (which is the full payment for the night). Fortunately, I had my travel agent's book info, and was able to document the correct reservation. Absent that, I feel sure she would have insisted on billing me for the hotel's error.

- Despite assurances that the hotel had booked me into a non-smoking room, as requested, the room was certainly not non-smoking. When I pointed out the ash trays and matches! in the room, they finally agreed to move me to an actual non-smoking room.

- The gym is under renovation. No date on when it will be finished. I had hoped to work out between my flights, alas.

On the plus side, it is inexpensive. Ultimately though, if getting some rest is important, I would encourage you to go elsewhere - at least during wedding season.

Room Tip: Away from the airport AND away from the weddings. Good luck with that!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank doglover2227

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed 12 December 2012

i made two one night stopovers. It was convenient since I had a morning flight out the first time and the second time work in Gurgoan- staying here saved half an hour of travelling time.

The pick up at the airport worked without any hitch. The check in was ok but could have been quicker. The room is well appointed but not sound proofed.

The bar and the restaurant was acceptable ( do'nt be surprised that the hotel has only one restaurant even though it claims to be a five star property) and food - Indian which i chose - was good.

One problem I found was the noise - from numerous wedding parties in the gardens around and from air crafts).

Seems they have only one bell boy on duty always and it would be quicker to carry your luggage yourself.

Checkout was a bit slow - seemed that they want to check the minibar themselves even though I had declared that I did not take anything.

They will have a lot of competition once the IBIS and other hotels in the airport area under construction are operational.. so they will have to buck up their service

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank monCochin
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

We were upgraded so we are impressed obviously. Very luxurious and clean with personable staff. Close to the airport and with the new terminal makes a very positive place to chill out. Great restaurant and excellently appointed rooms. (Beware of wedding party discos).

• Stayed December 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Uppal Hotel is a good option for night-overs for Delhi Airport. The rates are good and the hotel provides an acceptable service and comfort for this price level.

It was not as close to airport as I tought. From domestic terminal it takes 15 minutes, from International it takes 10 minutes.
Its located in a nice garden. The check-in took sometime and but the staff was friendly.

I stayed only 5 hours in this hotel before my flight and only thing I was dreaming was a short but nice sleep before my flight. Unfortunetly the hotel was hosting a wedding party inhouse and my room was banging with music. The music didnt stop until 1:30am. The ac was not working well and the room was cold.

The restaurant serves 24 hours and the food is delicious.

Its good value for money but not the most convenient choice for nightovers before the flight since the hotel is not working as an airport hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
surrey
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We stayed just the one night as it's convenient for the airport and we were flying out the next morning. We were very impressed. Everything excellent, with an astonishing breakfast selection. Clean, welcoming and professionally run - would recommend.

Not the place to stay if you're visiting Delhi for the first time as a tourist, as it's too far away from the 'sights', but as a stopover it is perfect.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MozSurrey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012 via mobile

We prepaid for a taxi at the airport only for a driver to be waiting outside from hotel. A nice touch but I wish I had known.

The hotel itself is lovely in nice grounds but whilst convenient for the airport there is nothing about so you have to relax in the hotel.

The food is overpriced for India which is disappointing especially as you are a captive market.

I firmly believe that hotels should provide free wifi at least in the lobby. Not here. Access for a day is about R 1000 which is almost 20% of the cost of the room. The speed is slow, under 1.0 Mbps and most annoyingly, once you have connected one device, say a phone, it won't allow you to connect a laptop. I don't mean at the same time, I mean at all! Crazy!

• Stayed November 2012