“Disappointing - we won't be back”

The Uppal Hotel - an Ecotel Hotel
Ranked #128 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

After reading some good reviews on trip advisor we decided to use this hotel as a stopover between flights from the airport.

We had an airport transfer included with our booking. We found the driver easily at the airport and he was friendly and efficient.

The rooms are well appointed and decorated, however watch out for the DAMP. We had to change rooms twice because of the damp smell and MOULD growing on the wall. Our third room did not have damp problems... But there was some scurrying in the air vent which must have been a mouse or rat (as the review of 17th dec suggested).

Breakfast was ok, but nothing special. Dinner was good, but too expensive for what it was.

Whilst the nightly rate is reasonable and the proximity to the airport is convenient, I wouldn't recommend this hotel because of the damp / mouse issues.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed 24 December 2012

For the first time I went to India on nov. 3 2012. Although the plane was delayed for more then an hour and there was a long queue at the customs and luggage band, the man who picked me up from the hotel was still there waiting for me. He had been waiting for 3 hours!
Furthermore the room, breakfast and hotelservice were very good. The garden is lovely and very quiet.Good to escape for the busy city of Delhi. And near the airport.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Soraya W
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I wanted to warn everyone NOT to stay at this hotel--despite the 5-star status, it was by far the worst hotel we've stayed at in India.
We awoke to a large RAT scrambling in the air vent above our bed, trying to escape into our room, sticking it's nose and claws out. Needless to say, our two-year old daughter (as well as my husband and I) were really shocked and scared!
Now, we live in India, and understand these things happen. However, the way that the Uppal staff dealt with the rat was beyond belief, and was one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had.
The manager basically did not believe us, and staff even laughed at our shocked reaction, even though we could still hear the rat crawling above our heads. Their response was--you can pack up your stuff and move to another room. No compensation offered, no APOLOGY even! After literally an hour of arguing with the staff, they finally comped us part of our meal--only part of our meal!
I strongly urge you not to visit this hotel--we certainly will never be returning.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MC_in_India
Reviewed 16 December 2012

The Uppal appears to be an older hotel which may be a little worse for the wear. They were nice enough to furnish an adapter we needed, but the socket was so worn it kept falling on the floor. Beware of the shower which has a half plate of glass. Of course all the water drains down the glass and ends up as a puddle which requires all your towels being used to keep from slipping on the wet floor. The breakfast was adequate, nothing more. We asked for a car and a driver for the day and were told they would call us in the room. When the call never came, called the desk and they didn't know anything about it so we had to wait again. Nothing we couldn't deal with and the price wasn't too high. Be aware that winter is Indian wedding time so all the hotels are noisy and busy.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 1st floor behind the restaurant and the noise wasn't as bad.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

Aging plave but price is fair and convenient when u need a place to crush next to Delhi airport. Breakfast is good and staff helpfull. Wifi expensive and no nego possible. What else? Late check out till 2pm was easily accepted

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I recently stayed here for the first time and it already feels like my home-away-from-home. The ambiance is refined but low-key. The staff are friendly and accommodating; they seemed to understand our needs and went out of their way to be helpful. For example, we left for the airport having forgotten to bring along the special vegetarian lunch their restaurant cooked and packed up for us. Just as we were deciding whether there was time to go back, their manager called the driver and instructed him to drop us at the airport to check in , then quickly zoom back to the hotel to get the lunch and bring it to us just in time. The only drawback is that the hotel hosts a wedding on their spacious grounds every night during the November-December wedding season - those weddings tend to be loud and last until midnight.

Room Tip: Ask to be housed on the courtyard during the wedding season - this will minimize the possibility of...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2012

As others have noted, the hotel is unable to offer any quiet rooms. I tried three. In two, noise from a wedding was blasting. The third, though away from the wedding, faced the airport and the plane noise was quite loud. I finally gave up...being too exhausted to move again..and agreed to stay in the room.
Additional issues:
- when I checked in, the receptionist insisted I had a reservation for 2 nights, and said if I wanted to depart early (my planned date of departure), I would have to pay the cancellation fee (which is the full payment for the night). Fortunately, I had my travel agent's book info, and was able to document the correct reservation. Absent that, I feel sure she would have insisted on billing me for the hotel's error.

- Despite assurances that the hotel had booked me into a non-smoking room, as requested, the room was certainly not non-smoking. When I pointed out the ash trays and matches! in the room, they finally agreed to move me to an actual non-smoking room.

- The gym is under renovation. No date on when it will be finished. I had hoped to work out between my flights, alas.

On the plus side, it is inexpensive. Ultimately though, if getting some rest is important, I would encourage you to go elsewhere - at least during wedding season.

Room Tip: Away from the airport AND away from the weddings. Good luck with that!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business