“Good stay for one night”

The Uppal Hotel - an Ecotel Hotel
Ranked #110 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Almaty
“Good stay for one night”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We booked through Booking.com.
The hotel provides free airport transfer, it is really close to the airport, which makes it very convinient, taking into account heavy city traffic.It is a luxurious style hotel, but not 5 star in terms of rooms, it needs repair. However, the staff is great, very polite and helpful. The restaurant food is fairly good, as well as the service. There is a large swimming pool surroneded by the beautiful garden, where you can relax. Internet is paid and very low speed, can not hold skype conversation and access can be used on one device only. In my opinion a little bit overpriced, both hotel and internet. They have plans for repair and other improvements, so i would give them a chance.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bella_Al
CVERMA, Manager at The Uppal Hotel - an Ecotel Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for taking the time out to place the review in regards to your stay.

We were especially delighted to read your positive comments you made about the Team and the Services. I had shared the review with the entire team, they are truly inspired by your comments and really happy to note that their efforts were well noticed and much appreciated.

but yes, we had noted your feedback in regards to the Wi-Fi/Internet and further to the Property update we are very much in process for the same & been performing taking the areas part by part and moreover we would be finishing the same soon.

It was really pleasure to serve you, should your travel plan brings you to New Delhi, please do not hesitate to write us your reservation.

We look forward to Welcome you again at The Uppal.

Best regards

Chetan Verma
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We booked this through Agoda.com and were quite pleasantly surprised what our $100/night room bought us. It was a five star hotel and had quite nice appointments throughout the hotel. You may chuckle at the sign on the entrance that says "arms and ammunition not allowed". We had the buffet for dinner, which was good, though both of our stomachs rumbled for a few days after. Wifi was expensive, but overall we were pleased. Our driver did have a hard time finding it, so it pays to have them call ahead.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sierratravels
mumbai
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed at the Uppal last week for one night (thankfully). I've stayed at this Hotel in its earlier avatar 'Orchids' Ecotel and i have good memories from the previous stay. Given that i was on a business trip, proximity to the airport nd reasonableness were my main criteria. I wasn't looking for other features such as multiple restaurants (which Uppal lacks, by the way).

I was checked-in swiftly; however, the staff pedigree did not reflect what you would expect at a 5 star property. My room was fairly clean (other than the peeling of paint in certain parts of the ceiling),but the beds were hard. And my air-conditioner wasn't working. So the reception quickly sent their maintenance guy, who managed to rectify the problem, albeit temporarily. I got back to the room in the evening and there was a foul smell, although they had done a turn-down service. And the air-con wasn't working again, meaning the air wasn't getting re-circulated and the room smelt like a pig sty.

So they sent someone to 'freshen' up the room and the staff literally bombarded the room with an aroma spray, which left me choking. The air-con did not work through the night and boy, was i glad to check out the next day!

I would not recommend this hotel to anybody as there are cheaper hotels which care more about cleanliness and maintenance.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank tres-passerr
Napa, CA
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Nice to find an eco friendly hotel in Delhi. Surrounded by acres of greenery and even a small executive golf course! Loved the great service, well trained and friendly staff. Rooms were well equipped with modern amenities. They figured out my husband's birthday from his passport and had a lovely cake waiting for us in the room! Nice touch. Free airport pickup is an added benefit. A bit noisy a night from all the wedding parties but otherwise we loved it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sitaananth
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Good special Ecotel Hotel. We loved and enjoyed our dinner and breakfast. Sheaf had well explained the variety of food. Its law rise building & its value for money. Near to airport so may not be held up in traffic. You can see greenery almost from all rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank chetankpandya
Europe
Reviewed 22 February 2013

The drive from Indira Gandhi airport to Uppal was longer than expected, but it is actually very close to airport runway. Hotels own pickup and drop service very reliable. Pleasant surprise once you pass the Hotel gate. Posh building, nice lobby, friendly staff. Good restaurant and breakfast buffet. Room was perfect and clean. Nighttime a bit noisy, as wedding catering were clearing their dishes behind the hotel. Due to jetlag it didnt really bother us, all we wanted was a decent place to rest until our connection early next morning. I had been looking forward to a relaxing swim as this helps after a long flight. Unfortunately, due to the wedding party, gardens were not accessible to hotel guests. However, after we complained we were shown to some garden area secluded from the party so we could take a rest in the outdoors. Front desk handled it gracefully.
At checkout we were charged for breakfast for 2 days - impossible as we left before breakfast time. Then it was reduced to breakfast for 1 day, charged Rs. 600. While our booking confirmed breakfast included - but we paid as we were tired of arguing. After all they gave us an early checkin w/o any extra cost. All in all, a good place near the airport, but watch yr bill when you checkout.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Either the owner or the person in charge of the place claims that this is a 5 stars hotel. By no means The Uppal (an Eco-hotel? Really?) is a 5 stars hotel. I decided to stay there for my last 2 nights in India (January 2013). It’s close to the airport: fair enough. There’s a taxi driver waiting for you outside (allegedly “for free” but the service is displayed in the Guest Bill so DON’T TIP THE CHAUFFEUR!) the airport. OK, it’s a Tata, an Indian kind of sedan, not luxury but it’s a car, and after chaotic Varanasi you don’t give a damn. Since it is winter I was expecting the AC to be working at its best: my room was freezing! I asked the receptionist –who didn’t speak any other language apart from a weird version of... IN-glish?- to repair the heater... guess what? They brought me a “heater” made in the Soviet Union (I’m not joking). The internet is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE for Indian standards (I lived in India for almost 6 months... the regular fare is 50 rupees or 40 rupees pay as you go... the Uppal charged me 1000 rupees per day... and it sucks! I couldn’t connect to skype and not even youtube loaded any videos). I wanted to go outside and visit the premises (the alleged “dreamy garden”) that after the wedding season resembled more like a circus than a dirty & smelly garden, really, it was pathetic. The pool, as many other reviewers have pointed out, has seen better times, and there were wild dogs! In a hotel! Crazy! The food was pathetic (the restaurant looks like a Costa Cafe. Breakfast was disappointing... all the cakes seem to have been purchased in Greggs... really). I ended up paying 17000 rupees for 2 nights. I asked for a weight scale 5 times: none was provided. I headed outside for a walk and they stopped me as it’s “forbidden” after 10 pm (never heard such a thing from a so-called 5 stars-hotel). I asked for a taxi to take me to the Hard Rock Cafe to purchase some stuff: 1500 rupees round trip (and the driver expects you to tip him!!!!!) and when I finally left that pigsty, the personnel didn’t even say bye. In conclusion, I strongly discourage you to stay at this dirty, ugly, smelly, horrendous and expensive hotel (they don’t even provide the toilettes with toothpaste... the website states that “2 bottles of drinking water are provided free of charge every day” which of course is a lie). Don’t go there! There’s a Radisson Blue that charges more or less the same but with a far-superior quality... and doesn’t claim to be 5 stars. Aníbal.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, but please, LISTEN TO ME!