“Horrible experience”

Ranked #200 of 909 Speciality Lodging in New Delhi
Vancouver, Canada
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Really bad experience. The room was expensive (50€) with molds on the wall, a bad smell, hair in the sheets, high humidity. Fortunately we had sleeping bags!! There was no matress, just a plank of wood and some stuff under the (really dirty) blankets.
It's good only for horror movies.
Awful experience, we complained, the guy at the desk said the manager was not there!
To avoid, definetely!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ciospett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
tokyo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

I am a frequent traveller to Delhi. There is no other place than YMCA when you want to save your time and money.
It is a simple hotel, don't expect 5 star service. But You will get a peaceful atmosphere here by staffs who take care of you warmly.

Foods are enough, Wifi is now available (Rs.200 for 12hs, Rs.300 is for 24hs).
AC and room heater are faciliated.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The rooms are spacious. Very friendly staff. The food in the restaurant in the building is very good. The rooms are spartan in amenities, but clean and well cared for. Economical and safe place to stay for a couple of nights. A/C and Tv is available. Some attractions in Delhi are right around the Facility.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank simpleman66
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I needed to visit Delhi on a short trip. My mum travelled with me. As a member of YWCA, I was able to book a room in advance. We travelled in December which was cold season. So it was nice to reach the hotel & be taken straight to the room without much waiting to complete registration.
Having called ahead helped as they were expecting us.
When we got to the room, the room was clean. Not much in the way of amenities but it did contain the basic essentials like soap. The room was large & comfortable.
The towels provided looked like they had seen better days, but we had carried our own.

Buffet meals were provided by the hotel. The meals were quite tasty. And I enjoyed all the meals except for the last day when I ate some fried thing that gave me a stomach bug.

They staff were very helpful at all time. They organised transport for us informing the drives where we needed to get to. And on the last day, pre arranged a cab to the airport for us.

All in all a good stay at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Call ahead the day prior to travel even if you book online. Let them know what time you intend to ar...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank fernvan
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I've travelled India before and the YMCA tourist hostel is THE WORST place I have ever stayed, quite an achievement for my travels.

The rooms were an abomination, mattresses had bed bugs and the bathroom never had hot water despite the website saying they did. Upon complaint, they didn't care and said the manager wasn't in to sort it and wouldn't be until the next day.

My friend went out for dinner one evening and on my return he'd taken the key by mistake, the staff refused to get the spare key as they "weren't authorised" and I couldn't enter the room till my friend was home.

I used the in-house laundry service, and it's the greatest regret I've ever had. Having given them a few t shirts, some shorts, and underwear, I'd specified PLEASE do not mark my clothes in the wash, they said no problem. When they first came back, they came back with stains on and numbered with a sharpie, which showed up on the back of my clothes. Long story short and a few more washed later, they basically bleached my clothes so much some holes were in them, and they tried to say I gave them in that state in the first place. I got £50 out of them in the end, but most definitely my biggest regret ever.

Even if offered £100 a night, I probably would NOT stay at this hostel. Horrible staff, food that made us both ill, and facilities that make the street look tempting.

Room Tip: Choose a good room? You'd be better on the street. Trust a seasoned traveller here, you will fin...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Matt S

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

This is my second stay at this New Delhi YMCA. My room is on the fifth floor and is just next to the common bathroom. For rooms with common bath, there seem to be three rooms on each floor sharing a bathroom. One bathroom consists of two WC rooms and one shower room. The room is clean and so is the bathroom. Its furniture and decoration is just the same as the room with bathroom. Wifi only in the lobby area (without password). I used the swimming pool for a few times. It's good but you need to bring your own towel. I paid the breakfast and dinner rate and I think it's better to have dinner somewhere else for this extra 400 Rs. The place is easily reached from IGI airport by taking a bus that goes to Connaught place (fare 75 Rs in September 2013) and get off when the bus turns left from Asoka road to Jai Singh road. The conductor was fairly helpful if you need to ask. Another way to and from the airport is to take the metro to the Shivaji Stadium station. It's 120 Rs and the station is about 8-10 minutes walk to the YMCA. The airline check-in counter at Shivaji Stadium station wasn't open when I was there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Banlue
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed couple of times in this hotel. This hotel is a basic stay for those who don't expect much in terms of service. They prefer not to be wash the linen regularly so as to save water. The overhead tank ran out of water once early in the morning because of which I almost missed my early morning flight. They provide complementary breakfast even though room rent is low. Besides all this I will still continue to stay in this hotel because of its location and affordability. If you want to use the swimming pool, you may also do so.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo