“Lovely and amazing collection. My favorite experience in New Delhi!”
Review of Crafts Museum

Ranked #47 of 449 things to do in New Delhi
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: History is brought to life at this excellent museum, where artisans demonstrate traditional embroidery, weaving, carving and pottery.
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Obviously there's space to improve in Crafts Museum,such us renovation of the village buildings exhibited, touch-up of the details.... as it seems not completely finished according to the staff there. Still, I love this museum. The textile/ritual items collection, murals, store, cafe, AV room with a beautiful documentary on India handicraft art.....Also the special Ajrakh (block printing+dying) exhibition tells a wonderful story too. Wish the Indian government could have more funding for this museum, to upgrade it's whole presentation, to improve it. It's a pity this place isn't getting more attention and it should be advertised....
It's free of charge. Not commercial. Truly authentic collections for indian folk art lovers. We spend 1.5-2hr to look through the exhibitions quickly. The outdoor cafe at back is pretty cute too. We were so glad we checked it out from tripadvisor about this place, and it's definitely worth the visit! Personally I like it better than other touristic sight-seeing places in New Delhi.
It's located inside the Pragati Maidam exhibition park.

2  Thank teresa l
in 27 reviews
"craftspeople"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 12 April 2014

My wife are in Delhi for a couple of days. She found this place on Tripadvisor. Initially it said somewhere near Nizamuddin so we called the number given. No answer. We checked on Google Maps and it showed close to Pragati Maidan. Got there.
My first impression was that this being a government initiative, there wouldn't be much to see.
Our entry to the complex was not such a welcome sight. People were basically chilling doing little. The handicrafts were lovely. It was in some open sheds. Amenities were minimum. Not to be disheartened, we went in further. There were some beautiful exhibitions of wooden statues and artifacts. The amount of knowledge one can get about India/Indian crafts, in the complex is something close to a GOLD MINE!! I was amazed at the beauty of the craftwork on display. Saddened because of the lack of maintenance. This non performance simply brings down the energy of the place. The block printing, the audiovisual on lac products, the statutes, the display of ritual equipment. One lady doing 'Kohwar' wall painting - was mindblowing. But to see the sad look on the faces of the artists was a heartbreak for me.
A lovely sales outlet at the end and a cafeteria made this visit totally worth the walking around in quite a large space on a hot summer day.
I appeal to all people of goodwill to promote this wonderful gallery through tourism, regular visits.
This is a must see and all support from people all over the world, on their visits to Delhi, will bring up the energy of this place.

7  Thank Bunty B
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had high hopes for this museum, but found that while it has high potential, it lacks the follow through. I had read online that it had a fee (10 Rs local, 150 Rs foreigners) but couldn't find the ticket counter when I entered and no one asked for a ticket. So maybe it is actually free. The gallery part had some very interesting items in it, but I felt more could be done for the displays. It had a bit of a run down vibe. While the textiles were mostly under glass and the lighting was low to protect them, they still didn't look to be in the best condition. Outside, the craft demonstration area was actually just vendors selling wares. Similar to Dilli Haat or other crafts markets, you might see an artisan working on a painting or such. However, there weren't demonstrations and most vendors just sat there hoping to make a sale. That being said, I bought some gorgeous glass earrings. The village area was also very run down. The museum shop was excellent and worth a browse. It is still worth a visit, but it was not as great as I was hoping.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

If you love crafts and textiles, you will love this museum. Although the exhibits could use a serious infusion of cash for preservation and presentation, the collection is lovely, especially the textiles. I wish I could have come back another day just to take notes on the unbelievable variety of textiles from all over India. No photographs were allowed, so I made sketches, but I didn't have color!

Unlike most museums in India, this one has a terrific cafe with delicious lunch fare. The museum shop was also wonderful. I bought a Bengali scarf that was gorgeous. There were also artisans in a courtyard, who were selling a nice selection of crafts.

1  Thank Barbara H