“Best Experience in Delhi thus Far”

Slum Walks In Delhi (Providing Education To Everyone)
Ranked #90 of 640 Tours in New Delhi
More attraction details
Owner description: Ever interested in how people survive and live their life in slums? This walk is organised by a local NGO and registered non-profit organization called PETE India (Providing Education to Everyone). 100% of the proceeds go to support our projects. Participants will accompany a guide through the maze of small streets and alleys of a 5.5 hectare slum in West Delhi for 2 hours. He will show you how millions of people live their lives in the slums of Delhi each day. While in the slum, you'll have the opportunity (if you wish) to have traditional tea with a family during which they can share their personal story of survival and life in the slums. You will visit the three schools that your donations directly support and meet the students and teachers.The aim of this walk is not to "visit" or make poverty a "tourist attraction", but is to exchange experiences with people, allowing the locals a rare opportunity to interact with foreigners if they wish.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was by far the most interesting and real experience we've had in Delhi thus far. This was a very good way to see a side of Delhi we hadn't been able to find by doing other things. Our guides (Laxmi and John) were fantastic. They really know the slum and care about it's people. We never once felt like we were disrespecting the people we encountered; everyone was extremely friendly and hospitable. Additionally, we never felt pressured to do things during our walk. John and Laxmi really looked out for us and did their best to explain as much as they could to us as we travelled around the slum.
The work PETE is doing in the slums seems to be very different than the other charities we've seen. The services PETE provides seem to be more personal and meaningful to the individuals in the slum and the community as a whole. Because of this, the walk is definitely worth the money.
If you're travelling in Delhi, make some time for this. You won't regret it.

2  Thank wolfj95
"an eye opener"
in 6 reviews
"daily lives"

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The best way to experience a foreign place is to visit it's people, see how they live. Slum walks takes you on a tour through lives of some of delhi's inhabitants, who welcome you with open arms, smile at you along the way, ask where you are from and don't mind you stepping into their homes. The Colony is like a little country in itself, each "quarter" representing a different indian region, it's custodies and traditions. It is an eye-opening experience that makes you rethink your definition of constructions such as happiness, poverty, community and life itself. Laxmi and John make you feel comfortable, they are very nice people who have been going in and out of the slum for years. People know and like them. This fact makes it even easier to roam around the place as you get a feeling of being welcomed. I am grateful and happy to have seen how people live in the slum and to have heard about their daily life struggles and pleasures. I can now see the positive effect of walks like this, even though one has to chose carefully to not interfere with people's spaces and privacy. After the walk Laxmi and John took me to the PETE office where I could ask Shiva, the initiator of the organization, more questions; a very nice and interesting person. PETE definitely is recommendable and worth your time if you want to really experience and learn about another kind of life in Delhi.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
4  Thank Anjuli294074
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is something you have to see if you ever have the chance to go to Delhi. This is not an attraction, it might change the way you see life, and it's hard to explain why. A real human experience that you can't compare to the tourist activities you'll see during your trip.
It was very hot in India and I was not used to it yet when I went to the slums, so I just saw half of it actually (I spent more than 2, maybe 3 hours there), but I know that I'll come back someday. It's a really unforgettable experience.

1  Thank elsascs
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Was a happy to hook up with PETE/NGO to have them assist with a walk thru the slums. Loved meeting the families and children and having them share their talents/art. Always good to be reminded that happiness not measured by how much stuff you have or monetary wealth. We all want good health, education and good resources and employment. PETE has interest in all these initiatives. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them and gained knowledge as well.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
2  Thank Debbie G
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Slum Walks by PETE is a life-changing experience. I went on a walk, not sure what to expect, and I was blown away by the love and happiness that just radiates from the people living there. I was absolutely humbled. John and Laxmi, the guides, are so knowledgable about the slums and are friends with many of the people living there. I felt so safe and welcome in the homes of all the people I met. I shared a chai with a family, talked with the teachers and some of the children in the schools, and shook the hands of an infinite number of beautiful people. I was greeted with nothing but kindness. Delhi is such a big city, with so many tourist attractions, but the Slum Walks by PETE are so different from anything else. They are a chance to see a real side of Delhi and and meet real people living there. This was the experience of a lifetime and I highly recommend it.

1  Thank d3clips3