“I regret not staying here when I first got to Delhi”

Bed and Chai Guest House
Ranked #26 of 1,086 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“I regret not staying here when I first got to Delhi”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

1. Great people - Clara, Coraline and the intern - were all extremely friendly, helpful, and welcoming. Especially since I came in early, gave wrong train details, and changed my booking just a few days earlier. They were still extremely polite, professional and kind to me despite all the inconveniences I've caused. On the last day, they even offered me drinks as I was waiting for the cab.

2. Great place. Ok it's not in the centre of New Delhi, but you should be thankful it's not. GK1 is much nicer, cleaner, quieter, safer. And it's really not that far. It's walking distance to M/N block markets and the metro, which can get to around Delhi.

3. It's cheaper than the place I stayed at when I first got to Delhi, but much nicer. Rooms were cleaner, toilet was clean (and had toilet paper) and didn't smell, electricity and water were consistent and didn't fail.

Delhi is an assault to all your senses, in good and bad ways. And I guess you would want to return to a comfortable place that has western comforts after a long day/train journey/bus ride. This place would offer you that.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank knn-44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

Just loved this place
Very beautiful and peaceful place!
Vwry calm location!
Very clean and maintained premises!
Very elegantly decorated n furnished
Hospitality was great.
Feels like our own home
I will surely stay there again

Had one of the most beautiful experience of my life there!!

• Stayed June 2013
Mannheim
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We stayed at Bed & Chai for more than one week & everything we can say is: awesome! Also the neighbourhood is very nice - which is very important in Delhi. You can even have a walk in the middle of the night. Have fun there!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Bed and Chai was a fantastic find! I heard about it through a fellow traveller while in jaipur 2012, so had to try it out this year. The first impression that you get is that it feels like home. It is clean, quiet and meticulously furnished and decorated right down to mosaic tiles in the bathrooms. The guy that works there 24/7, Madhu, is delightful and extremely obliging no matter what the request. While we were there we stayed in the dorm which is great value for money and the perfect place to meet very interesting people :) Cora, one of the business owners, came in every day and was available for any enquiries from local directions to a good hairdresser. The owners are very hands on, doing all renovations, repairs and decoration themselves. You can definitely feel that care that they put into it. Breakfasts are fresh, filling and delicious. I will definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed April 2013
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Though definitely not an easy location, I felt very comfortable and safe in the guest house and surrounding neighborhood as a solo female traveler. The whole place has a very new and clean feel to it. The beds in the dorm were very comfortable and the sheets again felt very new and clean. I didn't meet the two French owners but the manager is a nice, young guy from Nepal who was very friendly and helpful. If you're looking for a retreat from the chaos of Delhi then it's a good choice, but know it takes about one hour to get to Old Delhi either by rickshaw (because of the traffic, and 150 rupees) or by taking the subway (including walking time, switching time, etc).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank robsinjapan
Belfast, Maine
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My family and I stayed at Bed and Chai our first two nights in India. We found it a welcoming entrance into the sometimes hectic world of backpacking in India. In fact, we chose to stay here to help bridge our worlds. We enjoyed the clean design of the rooms (we stayed in two different rooms), the quiet, the convivial conversation in the common area, the helpful advice from Clara, Cora and Madhu, and the rooftop open space. Our daughter (8yo) was very much welcomed and engaged with. We were comfortable here and would recommend Bed and Chai to other travelers seeking a soft entrance into India.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RCL96
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed in dormitory for 2nights at the beginning of my first backpacking trip through India! It was the perfect location to start off-very nice,little place, helpful owners, very clean and great breakfast! Also fantastic place to meet other European backpackers, share experiences or get information! Not far from the metro,though a little bit far from
the city centre! Though very quiet (for indian circumstances) and safe area!
Would definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2013