“Safe haven in Delhi”

Bed and Chai Guest House
Ranked #22 of 1,130 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was my first trip to India (my first trip to Asia for that matter) and arriving alone in Delhi was rather difficult. My stay at Bed & Chai and the kindness and help of Clara, Cora, and Madhu really helped me. I stayed here 3 times during my 2 month trip in India, every time I was passing through Delhi on my way to another destination I made sure to come relax at Bed&Chai. The place is really small which I find very pleasant, it gives you an opportunity to easily get into contact with other travellers staying there and the wonderful owners and Madhu, the Nepalese guy that works there. The whole place is cleaned every day so it's spotless; cleanest place I've seen in all of India! The breakfast is great; fresh fruits and eggs every morning! The hostel is in a relatively (for Delhi standards) quiet neighbourhood, close to the metro station and markets.

I was staying at Bed&Chai during Holi Festival this year (2013) and the party I was going to was cancelled last minute. Clara & Cora took me with them to the Lodi Gardens to celebrate Holi with them and their French friends which was really lovely. Madhu is also a great guy, very helpful, sweet, and noble. This place may cost a little more than some others in Delhi but it is 100% worth it!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Emma Z

Reviewed 1 August 2013

1. Great people - Clara, Coraline and the intern - were all extremely friendly, helpful, and welcoming. Especially since I came in early, gave wrong train details, and changed my booking just a few days earlier. They were still extremely polite, professional and kind to me despite all the inconveniences I've caused. On the last day, they even offered me drinks as I was waiting for the cab.

2. Great place. Ok it's not in the centre of New Delhi, but you should be thankful it's not. GK1 is much nicer, cleaner, quieter, safer. And it's really not that far. It's walking distance to M/N block markets and the metro, which can get to around Delhi.

3. It's cheaper than the place I stayed at when I first got to Delhi, but much nicer. Rooms were cleaner, toilet was clean (and had toilet paper) and didn't smell, electricity and water were consistent and didn't fail.

Delhi is an assault to all your senses, in good and bad ways. And I guess you would want to return to a comfortable place that has western comforts after a long day/train journey/bus ride. This place would offer you that.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank knn-44
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

Just loved this place
Very beautiful and peaceful place!
Vwry calm location!
Very clean and maintained premises!
Very elegantly decorated n furnished
Hospitality was great.
Feels like our own home
I will surely stay there again

Had one of the most beautiful experience of my life there!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We stayed at Bed & Chai for more than one week & everything we can say is: awesome! Also the neighbourhood is very nice - which is very important in Delhi. You can even have a walk in the middle of the night. Have fun there!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Bed and Chai was a fantastic find! I heard about it through a fellow traveller while in jaipur 2012, so had to try it out this year. The first impression that you get is that it feels like home. It is clean, quiet and meticulously furnished and decorated right down to mosaic tiles in the bathrooms. The guy that works there 24/7, Madhu, is delightful and extremely obliging no matter what the request. While we were there we stayed in the dorm which is great value for money and the perfect place to meet very interesting people :) Cora, one of the business owners, came in every day and was available for any enquiries from local directions to a good hairdresser. The owners are very hands on, doing all renovations, repairs and decoration themselves. You can definitely feel that care that they put into it. Breakfasts are fresh, filling and delicious. I will definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Though definitely not an easy location, I felt very comfortable and safe in the guest house and surrounding neighborhood as a solo female traveler. The whole place has a very new and clean feel to it. The beds in the dorm were very comfortable and the sheets again felt very new and clean. I didn't meet the two French owners but the manager is a nice, young guy from Nepal who was very friendly and helpful. If you're looking for a retreat from the chaos of Delhi then it's a good choice, but know it takes about one hour to get to Old Delhi either by rickshaw (because of the traffic, and 150 rupees) or by taking the subway (including walking time, switching time, etc).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank robsinjapan
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My family and I stayed at Bed and Chai our first two nights in India. We found it a welcoming entrance into the sometimes hectic world of backpacking in India. In fact, we chose to stay here to help bridge our worlds. We enjoyed the clean design of the rooms (we stayed in two different rooms), the quiet, the convivial conversation in the common area, the helpful advice from Clara, Cora and Madhu, and the rooftop open space. Our daughter (8yo) was very much welcomed and engaged with. We were comfortable here and would recommend Bed and Chai to other travelers seeking a soft entrance into India.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family