“Great Experience that we will Remember Forever”

Art of Hope Day Tour
Ranked #166 of 485 Tours in New Delhi
More attraction details
Owner description: The Art of Hope tour showcases the art, life and spirit of folk artists who have charmed the country for generations. The tour not only gives the opportunity to experience the ancient art first hand but also lets travellers peep into the life of artisans and take some inspiration.
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great Experience that we will Remember Forever”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

3 business partners and I set off on adventure together to tour the Kathputli Colony. It was such an amazing experience to see this micro economy of people working and having fun among surrounds that I would consider destitute. Our guide was excellent; he spoke English just as well as I do and was incredibly informative. We felt safe the entire time and really enjoyed the cute little kids who followed us around.

Visited June 2013

Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Should Not Be Missed”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I recently had the privilege of taking a Art of Hope tour on a recent trip to India. It was the most special and memorable experience of my three week trip; and perhaps of any trip ever. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I was admittedly a bit hesitant to do a "slum tour." I had done a bit of pre-trip reading and wanted to learn more about life in India's slums, but wanted to do so in a way that was respectful and not in any way exploitative. I did not want to do a tour through the slums, maybe snap some photos of a few poor people, and leave just thanking God that I didn't live there. Art of Hope exceeded my expectations in this regard. It was very clear from every interaction that the children and adults loved being a part of the tour, and that they were very proud to share their art with me. The adults spoke about how Art of Hope has helped them not only in a financial sense; but that it has also been something that has unified the community and has been a source of pride and hope.

I was the only participant in the tour the day that I went. My guide was very friendly and informative. We stopped for tea and snacks along the tour, he answered all my questions, and I did not feel rushed at all. He really loved sharing about his country with me. I learned much not just about life in the slums; but also about Hinduism, Indian history, culture, etc. The tour lasted approximately three hours and was definitely worth the money spent. The performers were so inviting and SO happy that I was there. I truly don't think I've ever seen a more joyful group of children. In addition to that, they were GOOD. I'm talking really talented. There was a puppet show, dancing, and some a cappella performances. We ended the tour with a Justin Bieber sing-along. Apparently one of the boys had even recently appeared on India's Got Talent.

I am struggling to convey in words just what a memorable and life-changing experience this tour was. I have been in India three weeks now, and I have literally looked at the photos and videos from the tour every day, so grateful to have had the experience. I will carry the memories of that day with me always.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank sara_urben
Porto, Portugal
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“An unforgettable experience”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Prateek toured us for maybe more then three hours, and we had the occasion to watch a muppet show - a very genuine one - learn how to make chapatas, watch a very meticulous handicraft man making a muppet, walk through the narrow lanes and interact with the locals in a very, very open and friendly atmosphere. As an amateur photographer, this was also an excellent occasion to capture some very good images. Prateek speaks a very easily understandable english and is able to create a very comfortable and friendly atmosphere - you get to feel the people and it's a very happy feeling.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank CarlosRibasMonteiro
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A really special and memorable experience”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

This tour offers a captivating glimpse into the rich and vibrant culture of one of the more hidden communities in Delhi. It is a welcome alternative to the traditional tourist spots, where you can meet real people and experience Indian life.

Our guide Prateek was great company - friendly, good humoured and helpful, and spoke excellent English. The information he gave was insightful and sensitive, and he was happy to answer any questions.

The tour was organised and we were looked after well by Abhinav who made us feel safe as we travelled around.

Things got off to an engaging start with my brother in unexpected headgear and dancing with a horse! There was skilful (and loud!) drumming by some remarkable youngsters, followed by singing and a puppetry performance, although I must admit my brother and I were not always quite up to speed with the story…!

After watching a puppet being made (the process was fascinating, the speed and accuracy breathtaking), we were treated to a dramatic dance show, at the conclusion of which I couldn’t resist the invitation to join in! The costumes were as beautiful, colourful and intricate as I would have expected in India, and the whole thing was a joyful experience.

We were also able to see the view from a rooftop, a market, and the washing house, from which I have a rather blurred photo of a lovely lady proudly showing off her considerable skills!

Throughout the tour, we were accompanied by children, whose enthusiasm was highly endearing and contagious, and for whom our tour was also providing entertainment, as they hung at windows and over walls to see the performances.

It is a slum tour, yes, and the conditions are challenging, but it focuses on the spirit and determination of the people, and celebrates their skills, gifts and talents. This, together with the knowledge that by going on the tour you are contributing to the future of the community, leaves you feeling the sense of hope that the name conveys.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Marie_ClaireR603
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Time well spent in India!”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Most tourists leave their hotel, tour the main Delhi attractions, then return to their comfortable nests without actually encountering people as they really live and play. This excursion changes all that by walking through a residential area that is more representative of the way people really live in India than tourists are usually exposed to. Along the way you thrill to expressions of the joy of living through puppetry, artwork, singing, drumming and dancing. This tour will be one of your most lasting memories of your visit to India!

Visited March 2013