“Green and calm a little oasis in South Delhi”
Review of 76 Friends Colony

76 Friends Colony
Ranked #35 of 1,084 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Brussels, Belgium
“Green and calm a little oasis in South Delhi”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Location is very central,modern and clean, large comfortable rooms comparable to any 5 star hotel, staff polite and helpful. We received some snacks and a welcome letter when we reached late Green and calm a little oasis in South Delhi. Easy to access most key sites.

The occasional hooting of the trains during the day and night was bearable but could be very disturbing to a light sleeper. We had a few issues with the AC (which mysteriously shut down during the night), but it was quickly fixed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Ramolav

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
lewes
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stunning looking hotel from the outside as well as inside ,I was on the 4th floor a good sizeablle room & big bathroom complete with bath & very large shower cubicle you have have a party in it ! in set in tray stone walls ,but needs a spotlight of two over basin would make it better when shaving , & for Ladies putting there make-up on , the only downside to this wonderful hotel its that its by the railway line and some trains can be heard from your room , very good rooftop garden , food is excellent if you eat in but orders need to be in by 4:30 ,which can be a problem if your out all day …

When I arrived at the hotel it was late at night approx 11:pm there were a plate of food waiting for me & a welcoming letter & by a phone call from the manager to welcome a very very nice welcome as the days when on the owner Mr Singh contacted me and invited me for a chat & drink …..when i'm next beck in Delhi it will be my hotel to stay in ,no swimming pool as yet understand its on its way

Finding 76 Friends Colony can be hard to find ..suggest when you book you ask then for directions & also the quick way from the fly over, I will recommend this Hotel to all my friends who are travelling to wonderful Delhi ….Derek

Room Tip: think all the rooms will here the trains , the only down side to this hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank keredcartier
Perth-WA
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This B&B is is a leafy community surrounded by similar large houses. It is gated and has security 24hours on the gate. It is in a guiet area but this B&B was close to the railway line and our room was on the side closest to the track and the tooting of the train horn was loud in the room, double glazing would have helped to dull the noise. The room is large and well appointed with modern furniture, the bathroom is the same a large bath and large walk in shower with rain showerhead. Our room was next to the communial lounge/tv and dining area. Should you wish to dine in you must preorder your selection off the menu by a certain time. This is not necessary for breakfast, you can order from the dining area on the morning between dining times. All meals and drinks were tasty. The owners were away overseas at the time of our visit. Our time here was ruined by the owners dogs that barked all night. They were in the undercroft area so the barking echoed throughout the building, we got very little sleep throughout the night, im not sure if this is because the owners were away, if this is so they should think of removing the dogs from the premises at this time. There is not a lot around this area but is not far to central new delhi.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GillianKPerth_WA
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Described as home from home by the owners, this is a spacious, light and comfortable place to stay, especially if you have just arrived in India/Delhi for the first time. Really helpful staff especially the driver. Loved it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RoJo360
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I was looking forward to staying at 76 and this time it did not disappoint. What makes this beautiful place so welcoming and enjoyable is the Singh family and their attention to caring for you and willingness to provide whatever you may need. I stay for over a month at a time and I love Mr. Singh's interest to introduce me to other guests that may have the same interests. As I come to Delhi for business, I arrive at 76 in the evening and I enjoy the common living area where other guests are gathered over drinks and one can join in easily. The food is great and I love the menu. The chef is accommodating to alter it for me on occasion. I often get a call from Manish, the manager, during the day to ask if I would like to order dinner, as I often forget. That's is real care. The neighbourhood is so lovely where you can take walks in the evening without security concerns, as everyone is out walking their dogs and every house has a security guard. As a woman I feel completely safe, which is so important in any city in India. I plan to return again and again to 76, as I now feel that it is my home away from home. This is totally due to the Singh family and their interest in their guests as the extension of their family. I have come to love them as my own family. I also must add that the rooms are impeccably cleaned every day and the decor is contemporary with clean lines and subdued colour schemes. Very dignified and tasteful. I just love the place!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Deborah R
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights - 24/28 Feb. My driver had a very hard time finding the place at night
It is not close to the center and near a very congested road.
The modern building is on an elegant private road and has a very well kept small garden.Our room on the first floor was very clean and functional it was not the largest room. We had booked 2 months earlier.
The first morning was woken up suddenly by a passing train. Trains pass by very close to the hotel. I soon got used to it - also the double windows helped.
Mr Manish the manager was very kind and very helpful, thank you. The charming owner and his daughter mingled with the guests only to eager to help.
The rooms opened on to a large sitting room with a dining table - here we had our meals.
Breakfast was not served before 8.30 and dinner not after 7.30 pm - one had to order everything earlier. The portions were well presented but very small. I found the cost high for example 4 paper thin roti (chapatee) 352 rupees. The menu did not mention the further 10% tax.
We left at 7.30 am - were shown where to make some toast - no water supplied so were not able to make coffee left on an empty stomach.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eva m
devil63358, Owner at 76 Friends Colony, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience. We have tried to address the major points below:
1. 76 Friends Colony is located in one of South Delhi's most exclusive residential areas within a 10 kms raduius from the city's main tourist attractions and shopping districts.
2. Every effort has been made to restrict /mask noise levels from the railroad behind the property with the installation of double glazing / sound proof glass and other such materials. Indeed the majority of our guests have not found this to be an issue.
3. 76 is not a hotel but a family run bed and breakfast establishment with a small inventory of rooms and staff to service our guests. It is therefore not possible for us to run a 24 hour service and this is reflected in our pricing. We apologise for any inconvenience caused to you due to our Kitchen timings
4. We constantly monitor our food pricing and quantity and believe it is competitive with that of other similar establishments. We would like to clarify that there is no tax on the food only on the room rate.

5. For the convenience of all our guests Tea and Coffee makers are provided with condiments in all our rooms. A majority of the guests have been using tap water which is softened and filtered. Bottled water is available on request.

We look forward to being your hosts during your next visit to Delhi.
Cape Town
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My Husband and I stayed here for 2 nights recently and although we were visiting a trade show this was a haven to come home to in the evenings.
From the moment we booked Manish was helpful with visa requirements, Devika was a charming host and Hoshiar who drove us every where was fabulous. In fact every staff member we came in to contact with was gracious and friendly right down to the security gentleman at the gate. I loved the fact that there were dogs on the property and they were all obviously living in clover, which was unusual after seeing all the strays in India.
We have traveled to Delhi many times and this has been our best stay as the area is peaceful and for our needs it was convenient.
We ate at the hotel every night and loved the food and if we ever come back to Delhi this is where we will stay if we can get a place after all the good comments visitors have to say.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business