“4 star rooms”

Ranked #21 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Los Angeles, California
“4 star rooms”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I don't want to write this review because I want to keep this gem of a hotel to myself. This was my first stop in India. I pre-paid my tariff on Expedia and wrote in the comments that I needed a complimentary airport pickup. They called me 15 minutes after I clicked submit to get all my airline details. As a solo female traveler in India, I really wanted to make sure I had transport pre arranged with someone I trusted. My flight actually arrived 6 hours late, at 4:30 am, and I was sure that the driver had gone home to sleep. Instead he was waiting patiently for me and even played tour guide on the way back to the hotel.

The hotel was spotless, modern, and well thought out. Boys were constantly cleaning every inch of the place. The hotel is rated 3 stars, but I believe it's only because they don't have amenities like a pool and spa. The rooms may as well be 4 stars. My window faced an alley but the insulation is good enough to block out the street noise. Sometimes I heard hotel noise on the stairs during the day. Wifi works great in the rooms. I was able to video Skype with my family with no interruption. The bed was queen sized, brand new, comfy. Soft sheets.

All the staff were unbelievably helpful and pleasant. If I wanted anything I picked up the phone. Breakfast is included and I just ordered it to my room every morning because I like watching Al Jazeera while eating my morning parantha. Seriously, my room was the cleanest place in Delhi.

I came down with the flu on day 2 so I ended up staying 2 extra nights. It was no problem, I didn't have to change rooms. The handsome Sikh man at reception told me "Madam, it is our pleasure that you stay with us as long as you like." So cute.

Paharganj can be a rough part of town and D.B. Gupta road is not the nicest street in Delhi. But Hotel City Star is like an oasis. I will never stay anywhere else when I visit Delhi!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank K L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Good hotel with friendly staff , only one thing the cab booked through the hotel was not at all satisfactory as the ac was not working properly and the driver as well don't know to behave with guests. I would advice not to book cab through their travel desk. And one more point to be noted if you want to have your hotel bills do it earlier not before you leave as you might not get the printed bill, as their printer does

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Archie2079
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 13 March 2013

It is as described in the blurbs, a new hotel, consequently everything is clean and works. My only complaint is that the room safes have not yet been installed, keep this in mind if that is important to you. The rooftop restaurant has a good breakfast with Indian and Western choices. The evening meals are also fine. It is a 20 minute walk to Connaught Circle, and New Delhi railway station is close by.

2 Thank noosa_4567
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I want to spend a very good opinion on this hotel, for the very nice room, exactly the same showed in the picture, very good staff, available for any kind of request, and very good restaurant. The balance between quality and price is hight and the position is quite good. I suggest this place for your visit in delhi.

4 Thank Benedettaromi
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We stayed here a couple of weeks after they opened. We think it is worth you trying the City Star, based on the assumption that it will fix whatever problems exist.

The first thing to say is that the management did the classic trick of over-booking the hotel and asking us to stay at an inferior hotel it owned.

We simply refused. (However, we spoke to another traveller who had felt forced to accept this awful situtation.) The management eventually found us another room when we made it clear that we would not accept the inferior room elsewhere.

Because of this very unpleasant beginning to our stay, we did not have great hopes of a decent stay.

However, I would be happy to recommend this hotel to you with that forewarning.

The reason why is that the staff (apart from whichever managers tried to screw us over) are very helpful, and the hotel appears to be striving to provide a very good service.

Excellent staff are this hotel's greatest asset.

We stayed again, three weeks after our first stay. There was no unpleasantness from the management, and we really appreciated the completed fit-out. The rooftop restaurant was fantastic, and the beautiful plants and flowers in the foyer and on the rooftop really made a difference.

So, our advice is to double-check everything with management and to be firm if there is any contention about anything.

This is a great hotel, and we feel confident that once these "teething" issues are corrected, we could recommend it to any one.

Room Tip: If the managers try to send you to their other hotel ... make sure to refuse!
1 Thank Michael W
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We were in Delhi for holidays and stayed here for 1 night (unfortunately). By entering the hotel lobby, we would know that we are in a good and clean hotel. The enviroment was good, hotel was clean and staff is very friendly. The plus point of this hotel is the room which were beautifully funished. Its also next to station which is very easy to travel. Very clean and hygenic. They have a rooftop restaurant which serve a good food with reasonable price. I reccomend everyone to stay here instead of searching other hotels.
Note: It's a small hotel and not luxury.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Exploracion
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 12 March 2013

As usual, below are the goods and bads/room for improvment justifying my rating

Let's start with the goods:
-Location : walkable distance to new delhi station, in the heart of the city, busy. back paper street (main Bazaar) with multiple shopping and affordable eating options is one parallel street away south, one north is also interesting. Also good to wander around the coty with the underground or catch that early train to Agra and visit the Taj Mahal
- Hotel condition: still new engaging, walls have a pretty good isolation 'cause noise wise inside and outside are two dfferent worlds :)
- Room: clean, modern, wifi internet is free, complementary basket of snacks and bottled water on arrival
- Facilities: there is a small gym underground to do a good cardio and a bit of strength
- Breakfast: served on the roof top, which is great on a sunny day
- Staff : very attentive & friendly wihout being nosey at all level and in every area, a shirt to iron for a special indian party, they will iron it for you, portier will get you the best price for a tuktuk/rickshaw trip, let him do it for you. Travel desk staff are very helpful and offer you all options possible for whatever you want to visit in the city and around. book a cab for a wedding evening? done. A day trip to agra? done. Must see in New Delhi? done.
- All in all a excellent value for the money you put in

Needs improvment:
-room: an iron on request isnt available, but on the other hand they can iron a shirt for an emergency party for you.
-breakfast: i enjoyed Indian food but i truly missed some chapati/naan at the breakfast buffet as well as a really good vegetable mix (less sauce and more veggies

2 Thank einmal75