“Not sure why this rates so high.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel City Star

Hotel City Star
Ranked #22 of 707 Hotels in New Delhi
Melbourne, Australia
“Not sure why this rates so high.”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I always review places that I stay at and always try and be as positive as I can with my reviews. But this place is a three star and I just felt that it was just an ordinary three star hotel. The staff were fine, nothing special except the door men were great.
The wifi was very flaky - I'm sure if this is normal or not, though I noticed it was an issue for other people who have reviewed. I was there on a business trip so annoying when I was trying to work.
I emailed about airport pick up and never received a reply - so I assumed that it wasn't available, but according to other people it is. When I left, I asked about drop off at the Delhi metro station to go tot he airport and told that I could get a tut tut. So no offer of free drop off there either.
The fridge was barely cool, so I asked for some ice and was told that there was a charge for ice and we are talking about a very small bucket of ice. I explained that I thought it was unreasonable and they dropped the charge. I have never been charged for ice before.
Weirdly, the cold water was always warm - I could never seem to get it go cool. I have never had this problem before, but it was frustrating when you come back to the room after a day in the Delhi heat and dust and just wanted a cooling shower.

The breakfast was fine but I didn't think it was anything special - nothing wrong with it but I am not sure why people on this site rave about it. I have had better at other three star hotels.

The rooms was nice and spacious and clean which was nice, but the bathroom is tiny. To be fair, I am very tall so it felt claustrophobic to me. But you can trip over the toilet if you're not careful. The bed was comfortable.

The area around the hotel is very ordinary. I felt safe there day and night but I am a big bloke. But it is a dirty and quite poor area. The road that it is on is very busy and the traffic is fairly constant.

In summary, it's fine but I just don't see why people are raving over this place. I suppose I have stayed at better three star hotels around during my many trips to India.

Room Tip: Get one at the back of the hotel away from the road
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank apj101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Very nice room, super attentive staff, great wifi, nice breakfast included and they brought me a nice welcome basket.

Restaurant on the roof had good food, mammoth portions and reasonably priced.

They offer a free one way drop/pick up from airport or train station. The train is only a few minutes away so use it for airport ride, which is 1/2 hour and save some money.

The street and area around the hotel is typical India and is conveniently located to all sites with a short tuktuk ride.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank markabba
Hotel C, General Manager at Hotel City Star, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Greeting From City Star New Delhi !!

Thank you so much for your wonderful review on your experience at Hotel City Star, New Delhi. We are delighted and pleased to hear that you enjoyed the accommodation, ambiance and service at our hotel. Your compliments for our team have also been shared with them and they are pleased to hear the same.

Thank you once again and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed at the City Star recently in March 2014 for five days and again in April for two days. I was unsure of the hotel as I usually stay at the typical business class five stars. During prior visits I stayed at the Imperial, Merdien, Uppal, Metropolitan and the Taj. This being a different kind of trip for me, I chose this hotel and to my surprise I was delighted with the cleanliness, the service, the professionalism and the food. This hotel was better than the five stars in terms of service, friendly and honest staff, and you will not be gouged with tour prices where the hotel can add on a huge surcharge. The food in the City Star's smaller dining room is better than the famous United Coffee House in Connaught, and the prices much more reasonable. I ate at least two meals per day here and was never ill or felt any discomfort. The front desk staff, the travel agent staff, the room boys were very responsive and easy to deal with. They sent a young employee with me to ensure I got on the right platform on the right train at the New Delhi Station to Agra during the very early morning hours. Thank you to Ravi and Rajesh on the night shif,t and Harpreet and Karamjeet during the day, they were wonderful. Ajay at the travel desk was first class.

Room Tip: I had the back room on both visits, they are quieter, but if you like street life pick the front fac...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Steve R
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Hotel City Star New Delhi!!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at Hotel City Star.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel City Star.

Kind Regards,
Warwickshire, england
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Excellent alternative to large hotel by airport! Very good value.
The service was excellent, the room immaculate, and the food really very good.
Pick up at airport was there (email details of flight). Asked for room away from street and was amazed at how quiet it was. Really good service all round, sometimes over the top, but this is India. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Away from street. You can enjoy the view from the rooftop restaurant.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HeatherO9
Dear Guest,
Greeting From City Star New Delhi!!
Thank you for sharing your positive comments on your overall experience at Hotel City Star, New Delhi.

We value your patronage and the entire team at the hotel looks forward to being of continued service to you and welcoming you back to Hotel City Star, New Delhi.

Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance at any time.

Warm Regards
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Excellent Service , great value for money, just a great hotel. I highly recommend it. I travelled in December with my sister and my mother and we couldn't have been more happier with the hotel.
My only feedback was that I think one of the nights we had dinner at the hotel which took a while to serve but really I am so happy about everything else.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Nancy S
Hotel C, General Manager at Hotel City Star, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Greeting from hotel City Star New Delhi!!

It was an absolute pleasure having your stays with us during your visit to New Delhi
Thank you for sparing your time for updating your experience on Trip Advisor.
We are delighted to read your fantastic review and sincerely thank you for your encouraging and kind words for Hotel, your compliments have been shared with the entire team who were delighted to note that their efforts were so well recognized. Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of great inspiration and will encourage us to strive for even higher standards of service.

We hope to see you again soon at the Hotel City Star.

Best Regards,
Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We visited Delhi for 2 days and wanted somewhere 'cheap' after paying $1000 a night in the Maldives. We were extremely happy with the cleanliness and friendliness of this hotel. The price does certainly not reflect 'you get what you pay for'. It had a great location into Old Delhi and felt like a safe neighborhood. Our free airport pick up was easy to find and prompt. We requested kingfisher beer and although they did not have any, they quickly offered to go out and purchase for us. The breakfast was plentiful and varied. The free wifi was fast. The staff were wonderful and eager to assist. I would certainly stay again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank shazausa
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Hotel City Star New Delhi !!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at City Star New Delhi

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to City Star New Delhi.

Best Regard
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our three week Indian holiday. Free pick up from the airport is a must if you've never been to India before, and our guy was easy to find outside the gate. Hotel is super clean and very modern. They let us check in at 7:30 am after our early morning arrival, opening a different room for us to shower up and hit the streets, and moving our bags to the deluxe double we had booked by the time we returned later in the day.
Comfortable beds with nice linens, free (working) wi-fi and an air conditioner that will turn your room into a meat locker if you want. Modern bathroom with hot water(most important for me) and good water pressure. Restaurant on the roof is fine and a great escape from the madness below.
Service is top notch--especially the Sikh gentleman whose name starts with an "H" at the front desk and Imtiyaz who works up in the restaurant and went out of his way to make us comfortable and happy. They also opened a room for us to shower in after we had checked out, as we had a very late flight back home.
A five to ten minute walk to the NDLS train station and the delhi metro (which is connected to an airport line that gets you to the airport in 18 minutes), this is the perfect base to explore Delhi from! I commend them for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: we stayed in 405 and 305 which have two single beds
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank pozdowny
Dear Guest,

Greeting from Hotel City Star New Delhi !!

We would like to thank you for choosing “Hotel City Star new Delhi” for your stay. We were delighted to have you with us! Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

We appreciate your insightful and detailed review on our hotel and we are very happy to read your comment on your Overall experience.

It is our constant endeavor to offer warm and personal service as per our guest’s expectations and feedback from our guests helps us to know if we are heading towards the right direction in terms of guest satisfaction.

We assure you of our best services in the time to come. Your help and support will keep us going always.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Hotel City Star in a near future.

Best Regards,