“Good hotel with fantastic staff”
Review of Hotel City Star

Hotel City Star
Ranked #24 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Watford, United Kingdom
“Good hotel with fantastic staff”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was our first hotel of many during our trip to India. They provided a complimentary pick up from the airport and our driver was waiting for us good few hours once we were reporting on the airport regarding missing luggage. The staff were just perfect and couldn't do enough to help. They were calling airport in our behalf & trying to help us to get our luggage back. We could use their mobile phone whenever we asked.
The food in roof restaurant was delicious the best we have had in India
The room was very clean & spacious however our room was on the 4th floor under the restaurant which was very noisy and all the dust & smokey air from the kitchen we could smell in our room. When we complain regarding the dust in our room they were offering us different room straight away but because we were staying there only for one night we decided to not changed it
Well recommended - but avoid the 4th floor as it is under the restaurant

Room Tip: avoid the 4th floor as it is under the restaurant
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kris_Barbara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
alabama
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I find it interesting in reading other reviews that other people have different experiences here. Those that gave this hotel 5 stars must have low expectations. I found the front desk staff to be unfriendly and unhelpful, almost to the point of being intentionally obtuse. The room itself was a decent size, the beds were comfortable. we stayed here twice, at the beginning and end of our trip. We stayed in two different rooms but they were exactly the same. The bathroom was small, and the shower was not clean, the floor of it was greasy and had shoe prints on it. The towels were dingy and the floor mat was dirty. The sink would spray out and get you wet it you turned it on more than a trickle. The area around the hotel was dirty and rundown. As a female traveller, I felt uncomfortable walking around at night. We ate dinner at the hotel, the food was fine and not too expensive. The breakfast was limited and not very tasty. I didn;t know that you could get pancakes. By the end of our trip we realized that breakfast in India is not very good anywhere. Unlike one of the other reviewers, we didn't get snacks and fruit in our room nor do I remember seeing a fridge. We did have some issues with the airport pickup and drop off in which the drivers both were less than honest with us.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank cynful2no
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel was a winner. We tried to book more nights but due to popular demand they were all booked out. Nice clean rooms with friendly service and a cheap taxi that came through the hotel. I would defiantly recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Dave3199
UK
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Not sure what some people want or perhaps its their attitude but we found a gem in this Delhi hotel. After reading Tripadvisor reviews, we booked initially through Venere and got a good price. This was our second hotel in Delhi and wanted a slightly different location for our last few days. Our greeting on arrival was warm and friendly and we were given chilled orange and water while we checked in. This is a relatively new hotel with corresponding facilities and has been kept clean and in good condition. Our rooms on the third flor were spacious and well equipped with "proper" air conditioning and individual controls. The bed and pillows were I think the most comfortable of our fortnights stay in India. There was a good selection for breakfast including fresh fruit and we ate dinner in the hotel every night because of the rooftop setting (with mister fans if it was too hot) and quality of the food. I disagree with a previous reviewer who was not pleased with the quality and for around 600 rupees a head for a dinner no complaints. Although not on the menu, beer is available if requested and at only 100 rupees for a glass.The cab back to the airport was efficiently arranged by the hotel at 500 rupees for the two of us. Unfortunately our flight was overbooked and we had to stay an extra night. the airport hotel was by comparison way overpriced so we contacted the City Star to see if they had a room available. Not only did they give us our previous rooms (freshly serviced) but they gave us a discount on the original rate we paid. I forgot to mention, there was a complimentary 1 litre of water per room per day and a complimentary dish of snacks and fruit per room for the stay (we were given another one when we returned for one night. The area is interesting, a short walk to the station but then a slog to the station metro, however, a tuc tuc to Connaught Place was only 100 rupees and a reasonable walk otherwise. The metro from Connaught place was efficient and usually no more than 10 to 15 rupees each way. Do walkaround the back streets and see the quality of the wortk by people such as the carpenters making perfect joints only using old hand tools. try the street food provided it is freshly cooked and take a rickshaw to the spice market. Many thanks to the City Star for a great stay.

Room Tip: They all seem good.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Bobbyn
Gunzburg, Germany
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel is located close to the Delhi train station, which can be an advantage iif you plan to travel around. There are several ATMs and food shopping opportunities in the neighborhood, which makes this a good home base.
Reception staff is helpful, no matter the time (arrived at 3am and even then there were enough people around). Of course, the concierge will be more than helpful in booking your taxi for the day / excursions etc, at fares which are perfectly reasonable (compared to other hotels / direct booking).
The rooms are clean and in fair condition. The larger deluxe rooms on the ground floor are indeed generous, but even your standard room is more than enough.
The breakfast is served on the top floor's terrace, which is a good setting. Food however is disappointing - the juices are low quality and the standard options are limited and not very healthy. Hardly any fruit available. You could of course have your breakfast cooked to order (omelets, etc - didn't try them).
Be sure to get a room facing the back, as to the front there is quite a noisy street - you are in the centre of Delhi, so you can imagine.
You get good value for your money. Hotels are generally inexpensive in Delhi (for western standards) and you could go to a better known chain / more luxurious hotel, but frankly this is a very good choice for Delhi.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room facing the back, as to the front there is quite a noisy street
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TamaTareco
Marietta, GA
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Our tour guide suggested this place, and being kind of lazy, we looked it up and it seemed fine. And it was, for the most part. The staff was very nice and very friendly, and I really appreciated that. I didn't want to walk out of the hotel to go anywhere though, so if you want to do that, you might want to research other places. Us two females were trying to be extra careful, but it also didn't look like there was much to go to nearby, restaurant wise. We had some problems with the transportation people selected by the hotel. I don't know if they were employed by the hotel, or just private contractors, but they were not honest on either end of our trips from the airport to the hotel. We stayed here on two different occasions on this trip, and we had no problems with our room the first time. The second time, we were not trusted enough to be able to handle the a/c on our own and my roomy and I had different temperature requirements. So I had to keep calling to ask for a one degree up or down change every time we needed it. But I had to call 3 times just to get the first one degree change, so I was very frustrated!!! The finally gave us "control" after I asked for management help to get control 5 times or so. I mean, really, I am 59. Am I not old enough to handle this sort of thing???? Breakfast tip.... I didn't realize until the end of my stay, but you can order eggs, and even pancakes or crepes. No one will tell you, except me, I guess. Our first stay here was at the beginning of our 10 day trip. We were not very excited about the breakfasts. But when we returned at the end of our trip, we actually realized that the breakfasts here were about the best we had!! Finding out about them taking special requests helped make them a little bit better! I also had dinner here 2 nights, and I was very happy with their meals for dinner.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank JoanMarietta_GA
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I always review places that I stay at and always try and be as positive as I can with my reviews. But this place is a three star and I just felt that it was just an ordinary three star hotel. The staff were fine, nothing special except the door men were great.
The wifi was very flaky - I'm sure if this is normal or not, though I noticed it was an issue for other people who have reviewed. I was there on a business trip so annoying when I was trying to work.
I emailed about airport pick up and never received a reply - so I assumed that it wasn't available, but according to other people it is. When I left, I asked about drop off at the Delhi metro station to go tot he airport and told that I could get a tut tut. So no offer of free drop off there either.
The fridge was barely cool, so I asked for some ice and was told that there was a charge for ice and we are talking about a very small bucket of ice. I explained that I thought it was unreasonable and they dropped the charge. I have never been charged for ice before.
Weirdly, the cold water was always warm - I could never seem to get it go cool. I have never had this problem before, but it was frustrating when you come back to the room after a day in the Delhi heat and dust and just wanted a cooling shower.

The breakfast was fine but I didn't think it was anything special - nothing wrong with it but I am not sure why people on this site rave about it. I have had better at other three star hotels.

The rooms was nice and spacious and clean which was nice, but the bathroom is tiny. To be fair, I am very tall so it felt claustrophobic to me. But you can trip over the toilet if you're not careful. The bed was comfortable.

The area around the hotel is very ordinary. I felt safe there day and night but I am a big bloke. But it is a dirty and quite poor area. The road that it is on is very busy and the traffic is fairly constant.

In summary, it's fine but I just don't see why people are raving over this place. I suppose I have stayed at better three star hotels around during my many trips to India.

Room Tip: Get one at the back of the hotel away from the road
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business