“Quality hotel in downtown Delhi” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel City Star

Hotel City Star
Ranked #17 of 705 Hotels in New Delhi
UK
“Quality hotel in downtown Delhi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We only stayed here one night but would definitely return. We made our reservation through a booking agent, and I emailed the management regarding the airport transfer service. They sent me 3 emails confirming our dates and times which I thought was a positive start. Our driver was waiting for us patiently on our arrival (even though we were delayed), and we paid the car parking fee of 220 rps as the hotel instructed.

The hotel has been refurbished inside and out. It is located on a busy main road but you hear no noise once inside. The check in process was professional and efficient. The manager and front desk clerk were polite and smiling. We were given a complimentary juice and water upon our arrival.

Our room was clean, comfortable and decorated in a modern and tasteful style. We were given complimentary snacks and fruits (nice touch). We had a large comfy bed, flat screen TV, fridge, complimentary water, tea and coffee. The bathroom was very nice with a lovely hot shower. We also had a safe in the wardrobe.

Breakfast was very good,, served on the rooftop, buffet style with eggs and pancakes cooked to order. There was a large variety of Western and Indian choices, you could eat as much or as little as you liked. We didn't have any other meals at the hotel but menu is extensive. It is only a five minute walk to the main bazaar and there is a Pizzahut almost next door to the hotel.

Throughout our stay, all staff were very friendly, professional and attentive we will return!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank the-marmite-kids

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

The only downside of the hotel was probably the location. The area didn't look very nice, but once inside the hotel, it was a totally different story. It's brand new, amazing rooms (for the first time I have seen a hotel with the rooms exactly like in the pictures), very very friendly staff, very good breakfast and very nice food we had for dinner from the hotel's restaurant. Overall, all 3 in my family agreed to nothing less than a 5 *.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank brahmjot
Whitby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here for 1 night at the start of our trip in February this year and came back for another 2 nights at the end of our trip, we found the hotel very good, clean and the staff very helpful, we would certainly stay there again if we went to Delhi.

Room Tip: We had a room on the front street side and were surprised that it was fairly quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Nell0554
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I booked this Hotel by chance in the last minute as I came across the reviews in trip advisor when actually I was checking out the reviews for a different hotel. The reviews are glowing for this hotel and I was very much surprised as the area where this hotel is located is very average and not known to have decent hotels. Never the less I booked the room for 3 nights stay for earlier this week with complimentary airport pick up breakfast and free wifi. Once the booking was done I sent an email to the hotel intimating my flight arrival details. They replied promptly confirming that the cab will be waiting to pick me up and also indicated that this is a complimentary service but I will be charged a nominal parking fee of Rs 220/-.Which I felt was very good on the Hotel's part to inform ahead about the charges I have to pay in order to avoid any surprises after I arrive. Plus 1 there! Eventually I ended up paying on Rs.80/- which was the parking charge and the receipt was given by the driver. Upon arrival I could not find the driver waiting with my name display, I called up the hotel they confirmed the driver has been sent to pick me up and is waiting near the arrival gate with my name displayed. Actually there are 2 arrival gates at the 1D terminal in Delhi and the driver was waiting outside the other gate than the one I came out. I could eventually locate him as both the gates are just a few meters apart from each other. As I arrived pretty late in the night the traffic was sparse and I reached the Hotel in about 20 mins.

As I had known about the locality it was as expected not very salubrious. The hotel though was well lit and I was checked in within 10 mins. I was served a complimentary juice and water just like how a 5 star hotel would welcome you! The reception staff gave me the free wifi codes for 24 hours. I told them I need wifi for 2 devices and as I will be staying for 3 nights its better they give it for the entire duration. They obliged immediately and I was escorted to the room on the 4th floor.

The reception is beautifully done with a nice 2 level seating area floor to ceiling glass at the entrance which gives a grand look! The lift was very good as well.The corridors looked really pleasing with nicely done interiors. I was shown my room and ex-plained about the light controls room service locker operation etc etc. Another surprise was to come as within 5 minutes the staff came back with a complimentary basket of fruilts some chips and indian snack! I was like wow even a 5 star hotel does not offer this. The price that I paid for I was getting more than a bang for the buck. As I had dinner pretty early the fruits were handy to consume before going to bed.

The room is nicely done up with a king bed work desk where the tea/coffee make is placed, a small ottoman with desk a wardrobe with a platform attached to keep the bags. A locker is placed inside the wardrobe and then the Flat screen TV with a DTH box. The bathroom was the perfect size in ratio to the room with a wash basin toilet and a separate shower area. Overall again more than worth the price paid for the room what I got.

The wifi was always fast the A/c chilled up very fast, the controls were near the work desk, hence without the remote I needed to get up from bed to adjust the temperature. Will be good if a remote is provided.

The next morning I went up to the roof top restaurant for breakfast. It was small but beautiful restaurant with an outside seating area in the terrace with lounge type chairs and the regular table and chairs. The place will be great to have breakfast in the winters. The food spread was limited but adequate for a healthy breakfast.

Though up till now I have only listed out the positives about the hotel there are a couple of negatives which i will elaborate here and that was the reason for me not rating it 5 star but just the 4 stars!

The first complaint I had was that the water did not drain out in the Shower area. This is an engineering fault where the flooring is not done to slant towards the drain but its the other way and the water keeps stagnating there un less you use a mop to drain it. Such mistakes won't be done while designing a 5 star hotel but I soon recollected I am staying in a surprisingly cheap priced hotel with so many good facilities in a not so good area so such mistakes can be expected.

The next negative was the housekeeping staff did not clean the room in spite of reminding twice. I had gone out early in the morning and switched on the clean the room sign, upon returning after 4 hours the room was not done up. I again went out for an hour for lunch and on the way out reminded the reception staff to get the room cleaned. Still it was not done again I had to call the housekeeping staff and tell them to clean. Finally the room was cleaned while I was resting in the afternoon. This was a disturbance and lack of service by the housekeeping staff.

Two water bottles were provided as complimentary in the room. The brand was Bonaqua some unknown brand to me and the quality of the bottle cap was horrible as upon opening the cap I hurt my palm as the seal was of bad quality plastic. When the hotel has gone out of their way to provide so many star amenities if they could spend a few bucks more they could keep the aquafina or kinley water bottles in the room which are of good quality owned by pepsi and coca cola respectively.

Bottom line a very good hard product for the price I paid and I would definitely recommend this hotel if one is not too bothered about the locality.

Room Tip: Book early as this hotel is sold out almost all the time due to the excellent reviews in TP!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SameerSultan
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was our first hotel of many during our trip to India. They provided a complimentary pick up from the airport and our driver was waiting for us good few hours once we were reporting on the airport regarding missing luggage. The staff were just perfect and couldn't do enough to help. They were calling airport in our behalf & trying to help us to get our luggage back. We could use their mobile phone whenever we asked.
The food in roof restaurant was delicious the best we have had in India
The room was very clean & spacious however our room was on the 4th floor under the restaurant which was very noisy and all the dust & smokey air from the kitchen we could smell in our room. When we complain regarding the dust in our room they were offering us different room straight away but because we were staying there only for one night we decided to not changed it
Well recommended - but avoid the 4th floor as it is under the restaurant

Room Tip: avoid the 4th floor as it is under the restaurant
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kris_Barbara
alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I find it interesting in reading other reviews that other people have different experiences here. Those that gave this hotel 5 stars must have low expectations. I found the front desk staff to be unfriendly and unhelpful, almost to the point of being intentionally obtuse. The room itself was a decent size, the beds were comfortable. we stayed here twice, at the beginning and end of our trip. We stayed in two different rooms but they were exactly the same. The bathroom was small, and the shower was not clean, the floor of it was greasy and had shoe prints on it. The towels were dingy and the floor mat was dirty. The sink would spray out and get you wet it you turned it on more than a trickle. The area around the hotel was dirty and rundown. As a female traveller, I felt uncomfortable walking around at night. We ate dinner at the hotel, the food was fine and not too expensive. The breakfast was limited and not very tasty. I didn;t know that you could get pancakes. By the end of our trip we realized that breakfast in India is not very good anywhere. Unlike one of the other reviewers, we didn't get snacks and fruit in our room nor do I remember seeing a fridge. We did have some issues with the airport pickup and drop off in which the drivers both were less than honest with us.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank cynful2no
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel was a winner. We tried to book more nights but due to popular demand they were all booked out. Nice clean rooms with friendly service and a cheap taxi that came through the hotel. I would defiantly recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2014