“nice atmosphere”

Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Connaught Place/Janpath
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was there for my morning coffee (which I consider a treat in this wonderful tea-drinking country).
The coffee itself was alright, but not life-changing.
The atmosphere on the other hand is definitely worth the visit.
There is also an outside terrace with a refreshing green view.
The internet connection is reserved for the hotel guests though.

VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at 1911 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to note that you enjoyed your morning coffee at the 1911 and had a relaxing time enjoying the refreshing view of the garden. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have been a great fan of Imperial Hotel restaurant, expensive as they are, and I make sure to visit at least once, during my yearly visit to this city of Jinns. As you know the building is lovely and the decor is superb. The details are precise and immaculate and food also is quite at par with the overall plan. The menu at 1911 is eclactic mix of East and West. The Buffet spread is also of great value. But one thing I noticed in this palatial hotel, the service has become pretty lax. My visiting friends from New York, insisted that their visit to India would not be complete without visiting this great hotel. After showing them the entire hotel, we settled at the beautiful bar at 1911. A big U shaped bar is the center piece of this legendary watering hole of this city. Surrounded by Raj Era sketches and medals of the British Empire. Wine list is extensive and expensive. Most of the world class liquors are on hand. But what was missing was the attentive bar staff. There was no dedicated bar tender, Most of the workers were busy watching World cup, shown on a large screen projection TV. Repeated attempts were required to get attention of a server to get your repeat order. Ordered wine bottle, after pouring once, was totally ignored. This kind of upper crust restaurant, one does not pour one's own wine, it is expected that your glass will be replenished by the server, who is keeping a watchful eye on his customers. This was disappointing, I would like to see the service at par with the grandeur of the hotel.

1  Thank Satish S
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. VP & General Manager at 1911 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am glad to note that you were happy with our food & ambience. However, I am disheartened to note that you received an impression that one of our staff seemed disinterested in doing his job. I’d like to assure you that each and every member of our team is highly motivated & guest oriented and do not hesitate in going out of the way for ensuring guest satisfaction. I am surprised & disappointed to note that you received an impression otherwise and I would like to render my deepest apologies to you and would request you to not let this isolated incident influence your perception of The Imperial & any of its outlets.

We believe in offering a wonderful experience to all our guests and do not wish to inconvenience them in any manner.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Sr. Exec. VP & General Manager

Reviewed 24 June 2014

It is a great place to stop with a business partner for a good old whiskey after hours. We liked food and spotless service.

1  Thank Voicu S
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at 1911 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am happy to note that you enjoyed the food and service at the 1911 bar and had a relaxing time. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I’d been wanting to go to this landmark at Janpath for years. Ever since I read that the Queen of Netherlands had stayed here. It’s a lovely building – so rare in Delhi. So the reasons:

1. The setting: It wasn’t a restaurant. It was the Durbar Hall itself. Open high ceilinged spacious, grand. Walls adorned with framed photographs of the Durbar and the royal visit to India in 1911. You feel you are not in a pretentious restaurant of a factory produced 5 star hotel, but in an aristrocratic home.
2. The food: The waiter graciously agreed to get the Melanzane Alla Parmigiana which was part of the menu from San Gimignano the Italian restaurant. Basically parmesan aubergine, its a close cousin of the ratatouille the baked eggplant dish was simply outstanding. It melted in your mouth leaving you fumbling for more. The thupka – yes we went for a melange – was very decent though I’ve had better one’s in Sikkim and Mcleodganj. But I’ve had many worse one’s too. The grilled chicken was a bit tough and we had to send it back to be redone. When it came back it was just right and we dug into it with relish.
3. The money: It’s fairly priced, I’d say. Given the ambience, the quality of service and the food.

All in all – I look forward to going back to the Imperial.

VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at 1911 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Mr. Sikka,

Thank you for taking time out to review us. I am glad to note your appreciation for the wonderful premises, the food and the fair pricing. I have taken a note of the additional feedback shared by you and shall look into it to further enhance the Imperial experience.

Once again we thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have been a regular at 1911 for the past seven-eight years and it pains to see the best bar in Delhi falling from grace. First the service standards are going to a dismal low - been a astute witnesses myself - with the serving practices going for a toss at the cost of the hapless customers. Though I have brought this to the notice of the hotel earlier, not much seems to improve in real terms, except for simple PR responses that does not translate into effective real work and the ordeal continues. Hopefully, the service improves someday and they also learn to stock the real stuff at the bar, rather than giving excuses of import restrictions and non-availability of quality stuff in the market. Its Imperial, Boss, not just another hotel. Would like to see my favourite place restored to its original glory.... CHANCHAL PAL CHAUHAN,

VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at 1911 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Mr. Chauhan,

At the outset, I would like to thank you for your compliments to us for being the best bar in Delhi and your continued patronage for 8 years. It’s a pleasure to have served you consistently throughout these years. However, your recent review has been saddening for us and I assure you that we are addressing your concerns with the seriousness it deserves and shall ensure that we continue delivering as per your expectations and be your preferred choice as always.

On investigation we learnt that you were upset because the Hoegarden draught beer was not available and then you asked for edinger beer. As per your feedback given to staff you were happy with the food & service and would be returning tonight. We do have a table reserved for you and assure you of best services.

Thank you once again for your patronage. We value your feedback & would use it to enhance the Imperial experience!