“Doesn't look great but ok and cheap”
Review of Hotel Chand Palace

Hotel Chand Palace
Ranked #187 of 777 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Travelled a fair bit and stayed in some dumps and palaces. This was neither. It was fine for a couple of nights and the staff were very helpful. If I was on a budget again I would stay here but to be honest for a little more there's much better available. A good location for the back street shopping of the area.
Oh and double check the exact location first - we had huge problems getting taxi drivers to find it and always had to direct them to it. Had a nightmare on our first night.
My ratings are in line with what we paid not how I'd compare it to other places

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ade74

Reviewed 11 January 2012

This is an OK hotel if you're not picky and on a budget. You get what you pay for - but nothing more. When we arrived we got to choose between two rooms, and there was cockroaches crawling on a tray outside one of them, we chose the other one. And we found a few cockroaches during our stay. We had clean sheets and towels, but no hot water. The cleanness of this hotel was OK, but far from good.

The food was ok, we could choose continental/American/Indian breakfast.

The hotel had good service and provided us with a taxi upon request, and the driver was very nice and helpful, ask for Deepak (he is amazing). I would recommend taxi if you go sightseeing, New Delhi is huge and renting a taxi is a cheap, nice and comfortable way to do your sightseeing. We didn’t spend much time in our hotel after all, so the hotel was ok to stay in.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2012

The floor to wall dull grey alabaster (poor man's marble) throughout the hotel reminded me of many a hotel built in the 70s behind the iron curtain - if you don't know what I mean, just think: cold to c  'nthe touch, cold to the eye. My 1200R, after negotiated discount, bought me a delux windowless room (I sneaked a peek into another room, and think that delux simply buys a flat screen TV, rather than a CRT). The tiny window in the bathroom, flashed a bright red at night - the neon hotel sign outside. The shower was double weak (I seem to have grown obsessed with showers here in India, but after a day in the smoke, dust and dirt, their quality grows in importance) and ultimately never really past tepid. Bedding, as per usual in this country, is never changed, and nor is there any room tidying. However, the porters were friendly and on it, the manager friendly, the food very good, and the onsite travel agent was the only person in Delhi able to get me a ticket to Agra the next day without either trying to charge an arm and a leg, or trying to get me to buy a trip (cost 12000R), because "everything else is booked Sir". WIFI is available, but costs 55R per hour. Would I stay again? Probably not, but that's only because, next time, after Dehli's filthy, crazy, mad streets, I'd spend a little more to get a little more luxury.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank krys_k
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Much prefer to stay on the madness that is the Main Bazar (one street south) but the Chand was a nice relaxing and upscale hotel (based on what's around). No restaurant to speak of but the staff here are EXCELLENT and would run to any restaurant in town if you smiled broad enough. Rooms were amazing, GREAT hot water here, although I experienced a few issues with the roaches...I know it sounds like I've never been to India before but they were pretty bad in our 1st floor room.

Kept some luggage here for a week n a half too. Zero issues.

Not as nice for night life as it's basically hotel alley. If you're into mixing it up best to get a place at the Main Bazar, try Anoop Hotel. I would come back to Chand.

Cheers from Toronto
Derek

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I returned to the Chand Palace hotel in July for a 2 week stay. It is an excellent "base" for the railway station, the main bazar in Paharganj (worth a visit for a different experience) and only 5 minutes by auto to Connaught Place (10 minutes walking which I discovered walking several times during cooler times). My room was a deluxe room with flat screen TV with over 80 channels, air conditioning and ceiling fan. It was very clean and tidy and I had towel replenishment daily. The food as ever was delicious and always delivered promptly and piping hot. Masala Chai is a must! The prices are also great value for money. Although the Front Desk staff had changed since my last trip, I was always greeted with a smile and the staff were very helpful and friendly. All the staff at the Chand Palace were very accomodating and polite and are extremely hard working, room service is available 24 hours a day!! I hired a car for the day through the sister hotel tour operator, Mr Sunil who provided an air conditioned car to cater for my sight seeing needs at a very reasonable price. I also went on a weekend trip and the staff allowed me to store my heavy luggage whilst I was away. Very courteous and helpful all round. As ever the Chand Palace continues to be an excellent place to stay and I will be back again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank CleoCairo
Reviewed 31 July 2011

i have stayed in this hotel on june 3rd from june 6th with my family it has been a pleasent and desent experience for me. my family was also very happy with the food service and cleaniness. i would recomend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: worth staying for!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank john2000nyc
Reviewed 25 July 2011

while they were nice enough to grant me an 8am check in, I got a windowless room somewhere in a corner. (I definitely saw much nicer, empty (!) ones while passing). The bathroom was not spotless either, but what irritated me most was that after sleeping for a few hours I called roomservice, and immediately after was called by "Guest Services" to see if I wouldn't want to go on tour.
I did not as this was not my first time in Delhi, but even if it was this would have put me off.
The next morning I called roomservice again for breakfast before leaving, and after waiting for 45 minutes and another phonecall I had to give up as my transport was waiting.
Regardless, they made me pay.
Underwhelmed by the "hospitality" of this hotel, and as this is part of a chain I wonder what they are trying to carry out.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo