“A rip off”
Review of Hotel Samrat

Hotel Samrat
Ranked #427 of 736 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 7 January 2007

Far too expensive for what you get. The price is really only for the downtown location. Run-down room and hardly any facilities. But at least the room was tidy, quiet and not dusty or smelly.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank WorldtravellerEurope

Reviewed 31 December 2006

Just came back from a two week trip in India which included
five nights (pre-paid) at the Samrat. It was the most expnesive
and the worst hotel we stayed at during our trip. If it had not
been pre-paid, and close to where I had a meeting, we would
have checked out after the first night. I wish I had read the
reviews posted here before I went. The staff was unhelpful,
unknowlegable, and rude. The first room we were in had
an overwhelming smell of pesticide and there were still
coackroaches. We moved to a room without carpets, which
reduced the smell. The linens were dirty, towels missing. When
we asked for clean towels we got somewhat less dirty ones
and the usual expectation of a tip for bringing what should
have been normally provided. We had a dispute over one of
the pre-paid nights and the cashier wanted to keep the receipt
I had of our payment. I said he could kieep it but should give
me a photo-copy. That request was met with disbelief, because
they said they had no copier or any possible way of making a copy. For a supposedly multi-star hotel in Delhi in 2006, that seemed
very backwards. The ``gardens" and fountains that one sees on the internet were all closed. The breakfast included in the room rate was unedible, and we ended up not eating there after our first breakfast, eating breakfast instead at the Ashok across the way (a very expensive breakfast - showing how awful the Samrat foot was). The worst part of this hotel is that
it has a nightclub called the Decibel (that says it all) that blasted
thumping music late into the night (one night until 3am) on four of
the five nights we were there. For callibration, I should mention
that I have travelled extensively in India, and lived for there for
extended periods in the past. I have stayed in worse 5 dollar
a night hotels in India than the Samrat, but also better 5 dollar a night
hotels than the Samrat. For a western-priced hotel, the Samrat
is absolutely the worst hotel I have seen. Under no circumatances
should one stay there. The only positive point is that it does
have a nice new resteraunt called the Chakras. But the hotel
has no directory of services in the room and the registation
staff didn't mention anything about hotel facilities, so we only
found it late in our stay. I really pains me to write such a
negative review, because I want to encourage tourists to
visit India, and I hate to sound like a spoiled westerner.We had
a wonderful trip overall, and India is a fantastic place to visit. But I have enough experience in India to know that the
Samrat does not represent India and really deserves to be
avoided - and to be put out of business by the many better,
and more affordable hotels. Come to India, but avoid the Samrat!!.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank n0screenname
Reviewed 28 November 2006

Quite how this passes for a 5* hotel I do not know. The whole place was filthy and looked to be falling down in places. The decor in the corridors is awful and smelly. The first room we had there were holes in the ceiling with loose electrical wires hanging out, the bedding was smelly and full of holes, most of the facilities in the room did not work and we had cockroaches in the bathroom. After complaining loudly we got moved to a marginally better room but it was still no where near the 5*s it claimed to be, though we did have a lovely view of the algae infested swimming pool.
The one saving grace was the independently run Chinese restaurant on the ground floor which, strangely enough was superb.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pjmoorhouse
Reviewed 12 November 2006

Designating Hotel Samrat a five star hotel looks to me a big joke. I stayed there in October 2006 and it is a dirty and unkept .
Bathroom leaked, torn mattresses, dirty carpets, holes in walls etc. Baradari restaurant is horrible too. Many waiters but hardly any service they provide. Food was Ok but meats were undercooked.

Many managers are there just seeking bribes or tips. When I checked in they told me that hotel is available only for one night and I have to check out tomorrow. After checking in, the duty manager approached me that he will work out something tomorrow and advised me not to checkout. My reading was that he was looking for something. After two three hours he called my room to ask me that I should come down to meet him because he is alone at this time. Hence, a big tip was given...

Moreover, someone entered our room and stole 1.6 lakh rupees along with 210 US dollars and a checkbook. It happened when we went for a dinner in hotel restaurant called Baradari. The friendly manager knew our plans for dinner time (when and where), the same man who let us stay for another night.

In conclusion, don't stay in this unsafe and a rat hole.

Stayed: October 2006
2  Thank lion1611
Reviewed 18 April 2006

Our first choice hotels were booked up, so our driver took us here. What a mistake 7500 INR for a dump. We left after seeing the room, the 4 alternatives offered were just as bad. Everything the other reviewers mentioned are still the same, bare wires, grey sheets, stained worn carpets, baths that were disgusting. The corridoor walls were horrible. I was prepared to sleep in the airport rather than stay here. Awful, awful, awful.
We left and checked into The Hyatt - worth every penny.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank Frankie707
A TripAdvisor Member
London UK
Reviewed 28 February 2006

Do not stay at this hotel. For a start, it's only partly a hotel. The upper floors, and part of the 1st floor where there are guest rooms, are obscure Government office eg Telephone disputes Tribunal, Ministry of Forests etc. The rooms are Ok if a bit down at heel, but the corridors are shabby with junk piled up on the staircases. The pool was 'closed' in high season, and the gardens scruffy with no chairs etc. Breakfast in the Red Chilli restaurant was poor, dismal decor and limited food, which ran out. No way is this a 5 star hotel.

The hotel appears to make its money from a nightclub which belts out incredibly noisy music at least one night a week so that you can't sleep. When the nighclub is closed, the restaurant may be let out for equally noisy parties. We had to move rooms at midnight.

Curiously, there is a rather good new restaurant on the hotel premises, stylish, modern and a good menu, if almost no customers. [Not the Red Chilli]

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
Reviewed 12 October 2005

This is the worst hotel I and my family have ever stayed in. Grey sheets, bare wires inserted into electric sockets. It's not only dirty, it's simply not safe. The entrance is nice, but a complete facade! You will be shocked to see the state of the rooms.
They have 4 bell boys who don't have much to do for most of the time - it's a pity they couldn't give one of them a paint brush to start redecorating the bedrooms. I would never stay in an Ashok property again. The rooms aren't cheap either, I can't believe that it gets away with masquerading as a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2005