“Disliked the crooked attitude of the management”

Hotel Welcome Palace
Ranked #459 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Vacoas
“Disliked the crooked attitude of the management”
Reviewed 3 November 2007

We stayed in Hotel Welcome palace on the 25th-26th October 2007 and then, from 29th October till 1st November 2007.

We asked the owner to give us a wake up call at 430 on the 26th and arrange for a cab @500. We had an early flight to catch. We also asked for a cab to pick us up from the train station on the 29th. The
Hotel manager noted our requests. I asked him about the price for the
cab, and it was Rs 500. The next morning, no wake up call, no cab waiting for us. There was a different person at the frontdesk and he said that the cab would cost Rs 750. When I protested, he said that i
should discuss with the other guy when am back. On the 29th, there was no cab waiting for us at the train station. We take a cab on our own, since none of the requests we had made earlier were not satisfied. When we arrive at the hotel, the manager says the driver is waiting for us at station.

When I asked him for fare for a sight seeing trip, there was the basic Rs 2800 + additional fares for driver, which was not defined.

On checking out, the bills were NOT what we had agreed on - the first
cab was 750 instead of the 500 he had promised. He claims that he gave us a big cab. He was charging for the cab that was never there plus he was charging Rs 850 for dropping us to the airport (compared to the 550 he had said earlier).

On top of that, there was NO hot water for taking shower, when asked,
front desk would say it would be activated in 10 mins - but alas, only vain promises. The bed sheets were not clean - looked like someone had been sleeping in those before. We were 2 in a room, but they consistently provided only one towel daily.

You may stay at the hotel, but get all expected costs in writing from
the beginning. Do NOT go by the manager's words, as he will find
some good excuse to charge you more - unless you have a lot of money to spare and do not really care about being cheated upon.

• Liked — location - close to metro
  • Disliked — management attitude + lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank anwarchutoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
travel_sentry
Reviewed 26 August 2007

Recently we stayed at Hotel Welcome Palace at Gurudwara road. Few observations that others may find useful. Hotel is located near Karol Bagh shopping area. Some good food joints are near by. Considerable traffic outside, so it can get noisy in the room.

1. Stayed at the Family suite, their most expensive offering. It's a nice, large room with two double beds, sitting area, TV with many channels, fridge, and attached bathroom. Room decor was good. Both AC units worked well.

2. Even though the room has a refrigerator, it works only when you deposit your room key in a key-holder. Once you remove the key from its holder to leave the room, electricity is automatically cut off. A warning in case you plan to keep perishables in the refrigerator.

3. Bathroom is not well maintained. Some fixtures are missing. Towels are old and worn out. Hot water is available, but you have to call.

4. Hotel breakfast is terrible. We ordered the very basic: eggs, toast, butter, jam etc. They don't have a cafeteria; so they brought the food to our room. Presentation was poor. You are better off eating in nearby restaurants.

5. I could not make local phone calls from the room. I called the front desk couple of times, but they couldn't fix it. For some reason, the outgoing calls are disabled at the front desk.

6. Instead of providing honest and transparent service, the management seems keen to wring every rupee from their customers. I found this so irritating that next time I will take my business elsewhere. Some examples:

---- We agreed for an amount so the hotel could arrange a vehicle to pick us up from the International airport. I knew the amount was excessive, but I agreed since we were reaching at night. The vehicle was in poor condition (busted wind shield, seat covers / interior in poor condition, non-existent shock absorbers). When checking out, I discovered that they had added parking fee, airport entry fee, night duty fee etc to the charge. These additional charges were removed when I protested.

---- The hotel website advertises complimentary breakfast. We ordered it on the first day. Found it terrible. In any case, the waiter asked me to sign off on a bill. As I suspected, it showed up in my hotel bill on the final day. I had to talk to their 'Director' to get the charges removed. He claimed ignorance when I asked why they charge for the complimentary breakfast. My guess is that they will charge and hope the customer pays. They will roll it back if you complain.

---- On our first day, I had asked the hotel to arrange a AC car to take us around Delhi. Even though they charge a pretty good amount, they arrange lousy cars. On a hot / humid day, the AC barely worked. Car broke down several times during the day. It leaked coolant. When I asked the car driver to take us to the Humayun tomb, his response was that there wasn't much to see. My guess is that this hotel tries to arrange low quality cars so they can pay out less and make as much profit as possible. When I complained about quality of their cars, 'Director' apologized and tried to make amends by reducing the rental charge.

Overall, our room was ok; but the management is sneaky. They seem unaware that in the age of Internet, they can gain / lose customers with a few mouse clicks.

You are probably better off taking your business somewhere else.

• Liked — Large clean room (for family suite type accommodation)
  • Disliked — Quality of management and their apparent willingness to cheat
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank travel_sentry

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

UK
Reviewed 17 August 2007

My fiance and I read these reviews, and thought, WOW, such amazing reviews, and so high in the Delhi hotels ranking, we cant go wrong for the price!!!!!

But we did! For one thing, there are 2 Welcome palace hotels in Delhi, and the one in THIS review is the one we stayed in.

We booked 3 nights in a double room with ensuit, for 800 rupees a night online. We turned up and were given a shoe box, with no AC, no towels, and no loo roll. (Apparently these 3 rooms are the ones advertised on the hostel and hotel websites for 800, but are actually used for staf to stay in) We were then expected to tip 3 bell boys who all jamp at the chance to grab our 2 rucksacks, to take up 1 flight of stairs to the room. Which we had to do, as they just hung around and waited for their tip.

Around 5 mins later, another bell boy appeared knocking at the door bringing toilet roll, expecting a tip (i didnt know it was a luxury to expect loo roll?) We then decided for 800 rupees we should be in a better hotel with AC, but were tierd, so we upgraded. We were then shown every room in the property, ranging from our room being the worst, to 5 bed 'delux' rooms. we upgraded to AC, costing 1250 a night, and once again, we were expected to tip 2 bell boys for taking our rucksacks accross the landing. Later on in the evening, we had another knock from the same bell boy, bringing us a towel, and again, would not leave the room, and folded the towel twice waiting for a tip. This then continued for the rest of the stay, we would arrive back after a hot sweaty day of sightseeing, our room would not have been serviced, and after jumping in the shower, up to 4 knocks at the door till 9.30pm with porters bring various things, loo roll, soap, another towel??

Its a pity, you get free internet, and the metro is close, and this whole area is much more peaceful than in town, with nice places to eat and shop, and to be fair, a little cheaper and we would have been happy, but they really need to sort out those porters, they made us feel terrible, sad eyed and dirty,. hanging around.

We have now moved to another hotel.

Stay here by all means, as the area has everything you need, but I would nip the bell boy issue in the bud before you even close your hotel room door!

• Liked — the area the hotel was in
  • Disliked — The doe eyed staff looking for tips
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rubyrat
london
Reviewed 5 June 2007

I stayed at Welcome Palace for three nights in May with my Wife and eighteen year old daughter. The staff was very friendlier,
polite & attentive. We were on the First floor say the Executive Floor of the Hotel. Unlike some hotels there was not a hint of stuffiness or formality there. My daughter was very happy to be there & felt as valued as my wife and I. Food was of our high standard, service without fault. The rooms are extremely comfortable, with great views. Best Part was it was near to all Shopping Areas & Metro. Added to all the above a good location then I cannot think of a better place to stay in New Delhi.

• Liked — The Staff Behaviour & Rooms
  • Disliked — The Reception was not up to mark the way rooms were
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank brad_usa
Danville, California
Reviewed 18 May 2007

I stayed at the hotel at the beginning and end of my trip to India. After booking the hotel, I inquired as to whether or not they could arrange a full itinerary, which they did. I got all hotels (I specified), an air conditioned car and driver for 6 days, airport transfers and breakfasts for about $450 which was quite a bargain. They did a good job in setting it all up.

The hotel is basic and as a one time Peace Corps volunteer, I found it met all my needs. The plumbing worked, as did the a/c. The bed was comfortable and there was cable tv. The staff was helpful and friendly and, while there was no restaurant, there was room service and breakfast was delivered to the room (included).

The main drawback was the location which was not familiar to many rickshaw or taxi drivers, but I discovered that this lack of knowledge was true for all but the most famous places. The area was chaotic and noisy but the room was fairly quiet. One can walk to Conaught Place in about half an hour and the rail station is very near. At a daily rate of about $25, it was a good choice

• Liked — Good value
  • Disliked — Chaotic street
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank uskuhlmans
Northampton, UK
Reviewed 27 April 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights in April 2007. Generally the reception area was OK and the staff reasonably helpful. However, the sheets on the bed had already been slept in and there were some fairly unsavoury bugs in the bathroom. Breakfast was OK but took ages to come and you have to eat it in the lobby (which is where I saw the rat). However, the travel desk was excellent and arranged a car for the whole day to take us round to see the town. Unfortunately my friends had a bad experience in a taxi that was arranged by the travel desk but I guess they couldn't help that.

Overall I would say that this hotel is acceptable if you are on a budget but I think I would try my luck somewhere else next time.

• Liked — The travel desk
  • Disliked — The cleanliness of the room (and the rat!)
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank disco_di
Banglore
Reviewed 12 January 2007

stayed at this amazing place called welcome palace.. where everything is easy to get food, travel nice executive suite,any help any time. this is in heart of city, good shoppin place around mc donalds, sravan bahvan all good food joints and food of welcome palace rocks.. .. was there for vacations after very long and i think had wonderful time... vacations was fun like never before,,, all the best to welcome palace and their vry vry helpful employees . keep it up...

Mili

• Liked — its in heart of city
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — trvale lite.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family