“Fascinating Experience”

The Carpet Cellar
Ranked #16 of 180 Shopping in New Delhi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: THE CARPET CELLAR The Carpet Cellar is a specialty space for the finest woven treasures. Conceived by India's most respected curator of carpets, Sheel Chandra, The Carpet Cellar is considered a Mecca for certified antique carpets, perfectly executed recreations, modern designs, as well as kilims, durries, shawls and textiles. The Carpet Cellar houses a range of hand woven and hand knotted masterpieces, carefully selected by Mr. Chandra for their uniqueness and brilliance over the past four decades. The collection at the Carpet Cellar reveals a variety of styles and designs that will appeal to a wide range of tastes. Our selection illuminates the culture of areas stretching from the Black Sea to China and including Mongolia, the former Soviet Union, Tibet, Turkey, Mesopotamia, Persia, Afghanistan, Baluchistan, India, Egypt and Morocco, as expressed through carpet design and artistry. The family behind The Carpet Cellar leverages its wool, cashmere and weaving enterprises to provide the finest raw material, facilities, and classically trained artisans to facilitate the creation of all new pieces. This form of vertical integration is unique to the Carpet Cellar and enhances our capability to ensure the quality of the end product. The Carpet Cellar is proud to have leading museums around the world borrow from our collections for exhibitions. Our patrons have publicly acknowledged the uniqueness and beauty of The Carpet Cellar's collection over the years and our carpets can be found in the most distinguished homes and businesses both in India and abroad. The Carpet Cellar is a rare representation of the art of oriental weaving at its best and is the largest collection of its kind in India.
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fascinating Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

My wife and I visited Carpet Cellars late last year while in
Delhi. Nishant and Bobby were generous with their time
And happy to share their knowledge of the rich history
Of their collection of carpets. We ended up purchasing
A number of pieces and they managed to have them shipped
To Melbourne. All in all an excellent experience and one I
Would highly recommend.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank akaashgoyal

Geneva, Switzerland
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Carpet Cellar New Delhi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Excellent carpet collection in the center of New Dehli. Mudita was knowledgeable and trustworthy so the Cellar is definitely worth a visit and you know you will get a good carpet. Also allows for reasonable bargaining.

Visited January 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Quality Carpets made easy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Have made three trips to Kashmir and was always wary of purchasing the beautiful silk carpets in Srinigar because I felt like a lamb surrounded by wolves who smelt blood.
The Carpet Cellar made the whole experience comfortable and easy and I purchased a couple of silk on silk carpets and was very happy to do so.
I will definitely be returning on my next trip.
The wolves of Srinigar could learn a lesson in building customer relations ilo trying to rob them blind.

Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very Professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Mudita Chandra helped us. Unfortunately, Carpet Cellar did not have what we sought. Mudita had the confidence in herself and her position in the market to recommend competitors to us and even facilitated us contacting them. The one that Mudita recommended (out of 3 competitors) ended up being where we bought our carpets. We wished that Mudita had what we sought because she did deserve the business. Carpet Cellar does have a fantastic selection of high quality carpets. We wanted to thank her very much for really going above and beyond the call of duty. Jeff

Visited December 2013
Santa Monica, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“They made it easy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

A remarkable selection and collection of rugs. If you are interested in buying a rug while in Delhi this is worth your time. But, better yet, they made the process very easy. I live in California and saw a rug I liked very much. I wasn't sure it would fit the room I had in mind, and I wanted to think about the price etc. No problem! I flew home, they forwarded additional photos of the rug and its specific dimensions via email. The rug fit the space and I decided to buy it. I sent a personal check to their agent in New York and a week later the rug arrived in Santa Monica via FedEx...it was carefully wrapped and was in perfect condition. Don't let the distance between Delhi and your home make you think this is an impossible transaction. Everyone at the shop - and online - was hugely helpful! I'd do this again in a second.
Tim