“Not a place to lay your head” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Janpath Hotel

The Janpath Hotel
Ranked #228 of 706 Hotels in New Delhi
Los Gatos, California
“Not a place to lay your head”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2008

I did not stay at this hotel but I did visit prior to our
actual stay there. I toured the hotel with
hotel staff and they graciously showed us a room
on the 4th floor. The location of the hotel is great
and by the appearance driving up it looked very
favorable considering the price. The lobby was
small, not grand at all but clean and presentable.
The elevators were the old English lift type and
worked well. Upon our accent to the 4th floor,
I was the first to get out of the elevator. Directly
to my left was a part of the hotel or not, I wasn't
sure that was in the midst of construction. No
plastic tarps, no barriers, just a hallway with tools,
sawdust, wood and construction materials thrown
about. The hallways were bare and deserted. It
reminded me of a mental hospital you saw on TV
from the 50's. The room doors were old, didn't see safe and I
couldn't believe what I was seeing. I would not spend 10 minutes in that room let alone a night. The furniture was damaged, the pillows looked 20y ears old and it was so very dingy and dirty everywhere. Black marks from dirty hands were
on the walls. The bathroom was completely disgusting.
Granted, old and clean is fine, this was old, filthy and
disgusting. I looked in the tub and it was peeling. Crusted
dirt and scum was around the rim. I couldn't bare to look
any longer. I had to leave. We cancelled our reservations for
the return trip to Delhi. I'm so happy we went to check it out
before checking in. Not recommeded unless you will sleep
anywhere.

• Liked — Lobby?
  • Disliked — Filth
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Celeste A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2007

HI This is Alam. Me and my Friend stayed in this hotel in the month of October and we found hotel is good 4 star.
You will find all the basic aminities that 4 star hotel should have.
overall its good 4 star . next time we will stay in this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Location is good
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2007

I booked into the Janpath for a couple of weeks because I was going to be in Delhi for work. Big mistake.

I had wanted a decent, serviceable, comfortable hotel, with good business facilities and an OK restaurant. Unfortunately, the Janpath was really none of these things. I knew I wasn't going anywhere as posh as the Imperial or the Oberoi, but I could have paid far less than I did at the Janpath for the facilities I got. It had nothing: no email access, a grotty bar, a restaurant I didn't really try (the in-room breakfast was bad enough), a terrible dysfunctional TV with about 2 channels and poor reception, the world's loudest air conditioning (sleeping at night was a problem), windows that didn't shut properly, and faulty electrics that constantly threw out sparks.

In its defence, I would say that my room was quite large and quite clean. It was not comfortable, but it would have been acceptable at a 2* price. Unfortunately it came at a 4* price. I would also say that the staff were very pleasant to me. The laundry service was efficient and well-done, too. And the location is obviously very good. I became almost affectionate towards the place by the end of my stay, but it was a bit galling being next door to the Imperial.

I would certainly not consider the Janpath if you are visiting Delhi.
If you want a cheap, basic hotel, there are plenty cheaper than this one of the same standard. If you want a comfortable but good value hotel like a 4* should be, there are dozens of better options - The Claridge's, for instance, or any of the international chains.

Despite a few redeeming features, you really will be better off elsewhere.

• Liked — Excellent location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Grim room, grim restaurant, grim hotel overall I'm afraid
  • Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Burlington, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2007

Great location just off the circle, but upon check in I was thoroughly disgusted. I was given the filthiest hotel room I have ever seen! The "suite" consisted of carpet that looked original and contained more dirt than my garden. The sofa and other "suite" furniture had grease stains across the entire headrest areas, the spilled items under the warm, empty refridgeration unit should and probably did invite bugs. The windows did not close properly, sucking the mildly cool air from the air conditioner right out. The bathroom walls had mold, including the shower which only provided ice cold water. Don't be tempted to stay - even for a minute.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank wlsalmon
brisbane
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2007

The Janpath would be lucky to receive two stars in any other country. The location is good, but the prices are ridiculous and the rooms are very basic. I had no hot water for the three days - the airconditoner sounded like a truck engine - and they had the nerve to charge me a "luxury tax" on checkout! Three nights cost me nearly six hundred Australian dollars. Do not stay at this hotel!

• Liked — The sheets were clean and it is close to city centre
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pgoodman
Midlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2007

We were in Delhi early Dec 07. We were told that we could not our first choice of hotel because it was fully booked. The agent told us that she had booked a 4 star hotel which was better than our first choice, so you can imagine our horror when we booked in at the Janpath. Its a run down hotel which should never be classed as 4 star. The rooms we were given were very basic and from the looks of the doors it looked like the rooms had been broken into. Thankfully we were there only for two nights. I have stayed in better 2 star hotels in India.

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank NKM1
expatriate
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2006

the hotel janpath (located on Janpath road just south of connaught circle, between the Imperial and the Shangriila) is a government run hotel, part of the ashok group. the location is fantastic. The rooms were surprisingly clean (including the sheets) however, be mindful that this hotel is pretty much a rathole and would be a two star hotel in the US. that being said, I had hot water and a very large room,and TV with many English channels (probably cable or a satellite system). the bathroom was clean (the towels were grungy - best to bring your own) and the room didn't smell bad. The price was about $150 with taxes which seems to be about average for this class of hotel. Sure, the hotel was run down and dingy. The paint on the walls was peeling, and the furniture was very basic. However, it was a large hotel, many storeys, with shops and two restaurants. I ordered room service and the food came quickly, it was good, and I didn't get sick. I wish the room had cost $50, and not $150, and then it would be good value. However, the location was great, it was clean, .and I got a good night's sleep there.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — it was a rathole
  • Tips/Secrets — bring your own towels