“good hotel in Delhi”

Ranked #25 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Bologna, Italy
“good hotel in Delhi”
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Modern hotel, centrally located, about 1 km from Connaught Place.
Our room (superior) was quite and clean but not big in size; the bathroom was modern and clean.
Buffet breakfast was excellent (as the others Shangri Là I've visited in the Far East ) with many choices and a corner with indian specialities.
We spent some time at Lobby Lounge Bar and ordered an arabic mezzeh,then we had dinner at Caffè Uno with buffets and live cooking stations, food was good and tasty; we had no problem.
The hotel has green gardens, a pool with sunbeds and sun umbrellas, a lovely jacuzzi pool.
In conclusion, a luxury (expensive) hotel in Delhi, a bit anonymous.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Confortable room, very good breakfast. Internet access with cable in the bedroom.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2010

Delhi: Shangri-La: "Every time I go there they give me an even better room"
Date: 14 and 22 Nov 2010

I booked into this hotel twice in November for business. The first time I was on my own and the second time I booked in with business colleagues. This is now my No. 1 preference in Delhi and the reason is that every time I go there, they give me an even better room and look after me really well.

It is vital to be able to recover fully from jet lag when travelling for business. I had just flown in from London and was able to relax in the spa with a massage, before getting a superb night's rest in the luxurious bed in my room. The first time, I was upgraded to a room with access to the lounge on the 19th floor; this proved to be fabulous value, as I was able to take breakfast, high tea and food in the early evening too at no additional cost. The staff took the trouble to learn my name and to give me personal service.

The second time, I was upgraded to a suite, which was simply glorious. As if the bedroom was not luxurious enough, having a sitting room in which to sit on the sofa and read, made me feel more at home; no longer the need to be constrained by the feeling that I was constantly on the go and moving from city to city and from bedroom to bedroom. Instead, this was like living in my own flat, but with all the advantages of having the rooms cleaned and tidied. When I wanted to sleep late, I could. When I wanted to get up, my room was clean within the hour.

The rest of the hotel is spacious, complete with spa, gardens, disco, bar, restaurants and business centre. Best of all, when I returned the second time, the staff remembered my name and looked after me even better! So I recommended it to my business colleagues and 4 of us stayed the second time. Not one of us was disappointed. We all feel as if we are the most valued customers.

The location of the hotel couldn't be better. Close enough to the centre to walk, near enough to local markets to browse and yet, far enough from the centre to have large green gardens and a pool.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We ate all our meals in the hotel (all room service except breakfast) in an effort try to avoid unsanitary food preparation…however, even that didn’t work.

When we informed the hotel that we had gotten sick from room service food the front desk did make arrangements for a doctor to come to the room and made a run to the drug store for the prescriptions. However, they charged us for everything…even the taxi rides. They didn’t even comp the meal that made us sick and didn’t once follow up to see how we were.

We ended up checking out of the hotel a day early (lost $ but we didn't care at that point) and the front desk didn’t even ask why we were leaving early or how our stay was.

Our driver (not arranged by the hotel) was running late so we needed to make a phone call to check his whereabouts. I asked the concierge desk (who were standing around doing nothing) to make the call; they refused and referred me to the front desk. The front desk then said they did not have phones and referred me back to the concierge desk or the business centre.

My wife went back to the concierge desk and they finally made a call for her. It was a struggle to get them to do even the smallest thing yet they were always there with their hands out wanting a tip. The whole process was yet another example of the extremely poor customer service.

We continuously made excuses for the hotel like “this is just 5 star standards in India” or “maybe it’s not that bad”…..but it was. The hotel is ridiculously overpriced for what you receive. We’ve visited dozens of other third-word countries and the Shangri-La in Delhi was the least economical and the poorest service we’ve experiences anywhere (you want Real customer service head further East!).

On the surface it is a pretty hotel…well decorated, the breakfast buffet was good, room was clean, bed was comfortable and at least there was hot water every day but again that is being very understanding….it’s advertised as a 5 start hotel at well over US$300+ a night...it should be.

Management might try to comment on this (although they haven’t bothered addressing anyone else’s negative reviews) and make some verbal apology and possibly even offer special treatment on our next visit. There will not be a next visit.

Do yourself a big favour and look elsewhere!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank exploringtheglobe
Princeton
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Stayed at the Shangrila for two nights during a business trip to new delhi. A very plush hotel and i loved the breakfast spread. Service and hospitality was amazing and the room i stayed in was huge! Well done.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Prateek
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Had pleasure staying here.It was reasonably priced and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 November 2010

4 of us stayed for 2 nights in the Shangri-La in Delhi. We found the hotel to be extremely over-priced. The Staff were incompetent , slow and the service was non-existent. Breakfast was a total rip-off. There is only one restaurant at the hotel and the waiters never seemed to get the orders right and yet still charged for incorrect orders. The service was very slow. The rooms were small and musty. We regretted being booked into the hotel for two nights. The only good thing about the hotel was it's location.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends