Grand Godwin Hotel
Hotel Aura(New Delhi)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
1,279 results
All reviewsindian grillrooftop restauranttrain stationarakashan roadairport pickuptravel deskconnaught placerooms are cleannorthern indiamain bazaarhot watermini bartuk tukbudget hotelbuffet breakfastcoffee shoproom service is
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 March 2014

The Grand Godwin is on Arakashan Road in Paharganj, a very convenient location near New Delhi Railway Station. The surrounding area is not very nice, but it is convenient for both Old and New Delhi, and onward travel by train. Arakashan Road itself is lined with dozens of hotels. The Grand Godwin is recommended by several well-known travel books, although it's not clear why this one got selected from all the others on this road.

The decor is swanky - marble, chrome, polished wood. The rooms are nicely presented, clean and comfortable. However, service was a bit hit-and-miss. We had no soap in our bathroom's soap dispenser when we arrived, nor any towels. Several calls and requests at reception later, we were eventually delivered towels, although throughout the three days of our stay we never managed to get any soap. The manager offered to arrange us a taxi for a trip out to Majnu ka Tilla one night, and we sat in reception for almost an hour before he admitted he wasn't able to get one. We then walked to the station and got one immediately. It was good of the manager to try, but it would have been better if he'd admitted failure sooner.

The restaurant is OK, although the roof top ambience is never going to be particularly nice in this part of Delhi, with its traffic fumes and noise.

I'm a bit suspicious when a travel guide recommends one hotel over a number of identical ones in the same area. It can be an incentive for that one to become complacent, knowing that they'll get business from the recommendation. The others around it may be working harder and offering better value to earn a reputation. I wasn't overly impressed by the Grand Godwin, and I'd suggest shopping around.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thephenocryst
GodwinNewDelhi, General Manager at Grand Godwin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you for taking time out to write this review.We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. We have noted your feedback . We constantly strive to offer the best of hospitality experience to all our guests. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here twice in February, at the start of our holiday and end of the trip to northern India. Chose here as it was near New Delhi train station. To be honest though, when you have luggage, its still worth getting a rickshaw to the train station, but is walkable if you don’t have luggage.
We used the airport pick up which worked well, also on our second stay we used the airport ‘drop off’ as we booked a studio room which included an inclusive pick up or drop off at the airport. With no traffic it takes about 30- 40 minutes to the airport.
The rooms are all off an open stairwell which looks impressive but you can sometimes hear noise from reception.
We paid for a studio, but to be honest it was a regular bedroom so not sure what was supposed to be extra for paying more for a studio.
The first room had a window which opened, the second had a window but it didn’t open, best to ask for a room which has a window which opens (even though there is air conditioning).
Also, please note, some websites (including their own map) locate this hotel in the Bazaar area, its not, its on Arakashan Road next door to the Godwin deluxe.
The area around the hotel is a little run down, but the hotel itself is ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window that opens. Whilst there is air con, its good to have a room with a window so it can get a little bit of fresh air now an again.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the review. we are happy that you stayed twice with us We are glad you had a great stay at The Grand Godwin New Delhi. We are pleased to know that you were happy with the facilities and services provided to you at our hotel .

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I like this hotel enough to return three times and I plan to return. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated in a modern style which is unusual in an Indian budget hotel. They have clearly upgraded their WiFi. Email did not work on my past trips but was exemplary this time- better than at home or at my school in US. I had business to do and was on wifi all day and it never cut out. However you may only use wifi for one devise at a time during 24 hours, after which you can switch. The staff is friendly and helpful. Amazingly enough, one of the reception staff (Pranan) recognized me although I am in Delhi only a few times in a year or two. Do not get room 403 I think it is. It is immediately under the kitchen and extremely noisy from 5:30 am until 9 or 10. I asked to be switched and was. As I said these are only minor problems to me and I like this hotel. The rooms really are exactly like their photos.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest, thank you for the review. We are glad you had a great stay at The Grand Godwin New Delhi. We are pleased to know that you were happy with the facilities and services provided to you at our hotel and will share your feedback with our associate. he will be excited to know that his services are appreciated. We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel is walking distance from the New Delhi railway station.It is good deal for short stay.The rooms are good but the food quality is not up to the mark.The staff are not very cooperative.They made me wait for an hour to check in.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest, thank you for the review. We are glad you had a great stay at Grand Godwin New Delhi.
Dear Guest the check in and check out time is 12 :00 clock so some time it takes a while to clean the room , so apologize that you waited for some time.
We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

When I arrived I was told the hotel was being renovated and that I would be transferred to another wing. The 4 of us including my father in law aged 65 was taken down the road to a filthy hotel which bore a different name. I immediately began to voice my dissatisfaction and demanded to be taken back to the hotel that I had booked and paid for. The management was completely ridiculous not even offering an apology. On further investigation I found that they often do this to tourist and then hire out the already booked room to a walk in off the street at a higher price. the hotel itself was satisfactory but I am completely disgusted that after travelling a great distance to be treated in such a manner. especially my aged father in law. best advice I can give book hotel city star in Delhi.

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family